PDA

View Full Version : Water leaks - EKOS

Boomer
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I have two water leaks in my boat. The water is coming in around the backing plates inside the hull that the stingers bolt/screw into.

I have removed both stingers, and re-installed them applying a marine grade silicone to the back of the plates to form a seal between the plates and inside of the transom.

I installed well fit o-rings to the outside diameter of the Teflon tubes the flex shafts slide into to create a seal at that point. In addition I installed an o-ring in each stinger that fits the O.D. of the inside of the stinger. These two mate up nicely to the smaller o-rings sealing the tube and hull penetrations.

I re-installed the stingers. Let the silicone cure for two days. Tub testing revealed I still have the :cursing: leaks in the same places:Sinking:

I have inspected the hull for cracks and none were found. I have removed the stingers again, and plan on applying silicone around the flange faces of the stingers to create seal between the hull and the stinger mounting flange face.

If it still leaks I will begin drinking large amounts of adult beverages. Any of you fellows have anything like this happen? The pictures show the backing plates that are leaking at the bottom edges.

I am open for suggestions.
Thank you

Boomer

Boomer
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the PMs. I got the leaks fixed by applying marine grade silcone to form a seal around the stinger mounting flanges. Tested it - no more leaks.