PDA

View Full Version : R2Hobbies 2.4ghz radio.

Diesel6401
11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
If anyone needs a cheap 2.4ghz programmable radio system this might be an option.

TX $42.73: http://r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcps2805004
RX $9.35: http://r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcps2806002

Between my tactic and dx3s I'm covered. Now I personally don't like to go cheap on radio's. I figure we have a lot of $$$ normally tied up in a boat, the last place I want to get frugal is what keeps me in control of that much $$$ now that's JMO. I have read a lot of good reviews about this radio and we all know the Tactic systems aren't expensive and their damn good so users choice on this one guys...

Brushless55
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
I've heard good things about this radio to
thanks for posting the rx, I was looking for extras :beerchug:

Basstronics
11-11-2010, 07:05 AM
For those of us new, can you tell us what benefits such a radio offers?

I currently have two of the 2.4 Hobby King setups with an extra receiver. For under $20 they work without issue.

questtek
11-11-2010, 07:44 AM
I've heard good things about this radio to
thanks for posting the rx, I was looking for extras :beerchug:

I have two of these and they work perfectly. Great manual, easy to set-up and bind and the receivers are so inexpensive I bought 6 of them! This RC system is probably not made by Eurgle but I imagine they OEM them. I received these radios about 8 months ago and they are labeled differently and probably came from the actual manufacturer. I would highly recommend them based on my experience.

LiPo Power
11-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Ray, is this the one you had at the Boxwood pond last time?

carlcisneros
11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
the 2 radios you are talking about and own are both made by Fly Sky.

I have the GT2 and GT3 radios and they are both great.

The new GT3B radio (listed here in Eurgle) is also Fly Sky.
only thing negative I have heard about that radio is the scren is almost impossible
to see in sun light.

Carl

properchopper
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Looks really good, especially for the price. One thing I can't figure out [anyone?] is how the Tactic does so extremely well without an external antenna- a feature that really is convenient. Because of this I use the Tactic(s) for sport but need model memory to pre-set trims for racing. If Eurgle had an external-antennaless Rx, or Tactic had a model-memory Tx, I'd convert all my boats.

carlcisneros
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
just mount the antenna inside the hull.
I run mine inside the radio boxes. no problems at all.

Carl

racer504
11-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Does anyone happen to know if the GT3B (the newest one) has a linear third channel or is it just off/on? I have a GT3 so I know about that one. Thanks in advance, Mike

RandyatBBY
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Nitro/gas guys have been running a radio the has a internal antenna and have a lot of success. I seen bir 1/6 scale working great.

Flying Scotsman
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Looks really good, especially for the price. One thing I can't figure out [anyone?] is how the Tactic does so extremely well without an external antenna- a feature that really is convenient. Because of this I use the Tactic(s) for sport but need model memory to pre-set trims for racing. If Eurgle had an external-antennaless Rx, or Tactic had a model-memory Tx, I'd convert all my boats.

Tony, I can not figure that out either, I presume they are boosting the TX power output. I have a Tactic and it is a good radio but I do not like the pot setups and no memory....I recently purchased a Spektrum DX3S to replace my FM system....great radio.

Douggie

Diesel6401
11-11-2010, 03:56 PM
For those of us new, can you tell us what benefits such a radio offers?
I currently have two of the 2.4 Hobby King setups with an extra receiver. For under $20 they work without issue.

The model memory is by far a big plus. Being able to save trim setting and other information is great. When I had a bunch of boats programmed to my Tactic I ran into some issues with me forgetting some things. Like my AQ esc's need the throttle trim to be near center to arm, but my Hifei need it full CW and then I would have to play with the servo trim to make sure the boat tracks straight. With a model memory TX like the DX3S I use all your trim adjustments are saved. That's barely breaking the surface though on things the dx3s can do and I'm in love with telemetry!!!

That would be a game-changing radio. Hopefully the are on the same page...

Tony, I can not figure that out either, I presume they are boosting the TX power output. I have a Tactic and it is a good radio but I do not like the pot setups and no memory....I recently purchased a Spektrum DX3S to replace my FM system....great radio.

Douggie

:iagree: 100% awesome radio

properchopper
11-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Douggie

Douggie, the FCC (Rule 15) limits output on 2,4G spread spectrum Tx's to 1 watt.

Funny I never had range issues with any Tactic external antenna-less setups; just wondering why other mfg.'s haven't followed.

Diesel, I'm with you on the model memory thing ; last year in AZ I had five boats entered in six classes, all with Tactics, and had a heck of a time trying to trim them on the mill lap while jockeying for lane choice & start position. AQ/Tactic/Tower, you listening ?

Diesel6401
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Diesel, I'm with you on the model memory thing ; last year in AZ I had five boats entered in six classes, all with Tactics, and had a heck of a time trying to trim them on the mill lap while jockeying for lane choice & start position. AQ/Tactic/Tower, you listening ?

I could only imagine how much of a pain that was. I don't race at all just sport, but it sucks when trimming out a boat. I only run 3-4minutes at a time and the taking the first minute or so just to trim out a boat cuts into a already short run.

FighterCat57
11-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Anyone check out the new Traxxas TQ? It's got a 20 model memory w/trim & settings memorized. I use the same Tx on all my cars/boats. I'm stuck on the new High Output version. I've yet to be able to out run the range on them. Found them on eBay for around $50 w/Rx.

carlcisneros
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I e-mailed Fly Sky and the reply i got from them was that the 3rd channel is supposed to be
programable either stepping or linear.

Carl
NOW if they would just improve on the display I might get one.

Ub Hauled
11-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Me likes...

carlcisneros
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
The standard GT3 has a 10 model memory IF my memory serves.

Carl

questtek
11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
The standard GT3 has a 10 model memory IF my memory serves.

Carl

Yes, and the units that I have are from Esky.. Identical They are Model FS-GT3B AFHDS (AUTO FREQUENCY HOPPING DIGITAL SYSTEM)