PDA

View Full Version : Wiring lipos in //

BHChieftain
11-09-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm planning to run 4 2S1P packs in a 4S2P configuration. My packs and ESC have bullet connectors. I'm assuming the way to rig this up is to take 2 of the 2S packs and wire them in serial, then do the same with the next 2 packs (so now I have 2 sets of 4S1P), and then rig a Y-harness with additional bullet connectors so that the 2 positive leads from each "virtual" 4S1P pack can connect into the single positive ESC lead, then do the same for the negative leads.

Any other nifty approach?

Chief

driftah
11-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I smell a lot of connectors yikes...resistance.you can do it but you hopefully are using 5.5mm bullets at least

BHChieftain
11-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm using 6mm. One alternative is to wire 2 6mm bullets (with a splice wire) directly onto the ESC leads vs. a harness...

Chief

domp444
11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I've been wondering the same thing Chief.

keithbradley
11-09-2010, 11:20 PM
That will work fine. I used to wire (6) 3s packs in my 40" mono that way for 9s2p. Nothing wrong with it. If you have good packs and good solder connections you should be fine. Your parallel adapters and esc wires should be of larger gauge wire. Resistance is split after the parallel connector so it has less of an effect.

BHChieftain
11-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks Keith,
Chief

egneg
11-10-2010, 05:42 AM
These are a pair of connectors I made - got the idea from Simon.

kookie_guy
11-10-2010, 09:24 AM
ghetto drawing time.

You can make Y connectors. Try to fit 2 wires into one bullet as pictured on the bottom left. You would need 1 for positive and 1 for negative. Essentially what egneg has, just with wires.

Egneg, you ever have those heat up on you? It seems like there isn't a very big contact point between the bullet and wire you use to join them. Looks like they are only connected at the tangent. Just doesn't look like much of a surface area.

egneg
11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
No heat issues ... they have performed very well. I use enough high grade solder to bridge the gap.

BHChieftain
11-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Nice...

I think I'll probably need to go with splicing two wires together as I need some extra length...

I've used this approach to splice 2 wires together (did this for hydra 240 leads)-- but would put bullets on all ends.

BILL OXIDEAN
11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Nice...

I think I'll probably need to go with splicing two wires together as I need some extra length...

I've used this approach to splice 2 wires together (did this for hydra 240 leads)-- but would put bullets on all ends.

I like where you're going, but I've always believed copper wire coiled against the direction of electron flow creates a resistor.

BHChieftain
11-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I like where you're going, but I've always believed copper wire coiled against the direction of electron flow creates a resistor.

The wrapping wire is not insulated against the power wire-- so it is just a hunk of metal soldered against another hunk of metal. I would think electrons would just travel across the wrapping wire. Let me know what you think,

Chief

BHChieftain
11-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Here's what I ended up doing. Used 10g wire with 6mm bullets. I was actually able to fit both ends of the spliced wire into the connector so they are joined there as well as along the wrapped splice.

Chief