PDA

View Full Version : External Antenna?

POWERS
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
With the 2.4ghz radio on the MG is the external antenna on the boat needed? Would it be OK put leave the antenna inside and seal off the hole?

I'm using the pro boat controller that came with it not sure if this makes a difference.

Diesel6401
11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
With the spektrum rx that came with your boat or any spektrum rx your gonna want to get the antenna outside the hull for the best range. If you don't want to have a antenna switch over to a tactic radio system. JMO

POWERS
11-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Aren't they both 2.4ghz? What makes the tactic different?

airman66285
11-09-2010, 02:09 PM

The Tactic 2.4GHZ receiver does not have an antennae. I use them exclusively in my boats and I can't say enough good things about them.

Diesel6401
11-09-2010, 03:13 PM

I like my tactic radios. In hulls I dont want an antenna sticking out of like my SV or my H&M mono I use a tactic. Nice cheap and overall good system plus additional rx's are very cheap like $20 or so. At the end of the day though I LOVE my DX3S and I love Spektrum radios!!! Tactic are basic get the job done radios, if you want any sort of added options grab a spektrum radio. The dx3s will bind to the rx that comes with the MG. Plus i set up my telemetry and it doesn't get any better than that!

airman66285
11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I like my tactic radios. In hulls I dont want an antenna sticking out of like my SV or my H&M mono I use a tactic. Nice cheap and overall good system plus additional rx's are very cheap like $20 or so. At the end of the day though I LOVE my DX3S and I love Spektrum radios!!! Tactic are basic get the job done radios, if you want any sort of added options grab a spektrum radio. The dx3s will bind to the rx that comes with the MG. Plus i set up my telemetry and it doesn't get any better than that!

I agree - the Tactic is bare bones but bulletproof. The Spektrum stuff is extremely advanced and has lots of bells and whistles. I had trouble with my stock MG Spektrum Tx and Rx so I sold them and went with my old standby Tactic instead. Regarding your telemetry setup, what do you monitor? Voltage/motor temps? I'll tell you what - the day that Spektrum comes out with a Rx that is antennae-less is the day that I will buy a high end Spektrum setup including telemetry - cool stuff!

Diesel6401
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I agree - the Tactic is bare bones but bulletproof. The Spektrum stuff is extremely advanced and has lots of bells and whistles. I had trouble with my stock MG Spektrum Tx and Rx so I sold them and went with my old standby Tactic instead. Regarding your telemetry setup, what do you monitor? Voltage/motor temps? I'll tell you what - the day that Spektrum comes out with a Rx that is antennae-less is the day that I will buy a high end Spektrum setup including telemetry - cool stuff!

I'm currently monitoring esc temperture. I am running a Stileto 1800kv motor in my MG on the stock MG 45amp esc :spy: knowing that the stileto with the 1800kv motor runs with a 60amp esc I decided to watch the esc temps over the motor temps to make sure I'm not pushing it crazy. I have my countdown alarm set for 3 min and the temp alarm set for 130 or 135F i forget. So far everything runs awesome. I am going to mount my rpm sensor soon. Just got to figure out how I want to do it. I agree not having a antenna is sweet and since I have both a tactic and spektrum its nice to have choices on what I want to use. The dx3s is just a beast of a radio though and with all the great and cool things it does, the antenna isn't a breaking point.

*I don't want people (rookies) to read the above statement and get the idea to push their stock esc's to far and then blame PB when they fail. I understand if my esc fails it will be 100% my fault for operating outside of the manufacturers recommendations.*