PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy ESC programming help

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
OK I have the Turnigy marine 120s and the program card. I went through the instructions which seemed very simple. I did the programming and the blue light is flashing indicating the card is now programming the ESC.

But how long does that take? After 20 minutes I figured there was an error and disconnected everything. Then tried to reconnect the ESC again and I got no response from the card.

So I moved to the other ESC and did the programming. Blue LED is still blinking after 10 minutes.

Am I doing something wrong?

syncronized77
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
did you setup the throttle points on the ESC with your TX?

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Nope. I guess I need to do that first?

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm about to take a sledge hammer to this thing! I am doing exactly what the ESC instructions tell me to enable reverse. The beeps acknowledge the command but no reverse.

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Damn I'm losing it here.

I got forward programmed.

I must have went though the reverse programming 20 times and still no reverse. That was a huge thing for me to have reverse. And now I get nothing from the card, not one light lit up.

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
OK duhhhh never mind I got the reverse. I had the throw turned down on the TX. Jesus I feel stupid.

But I still get no response when plugging the card.

Flying Scotsman
11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Toss it, you have a bad card or setup problem, explain how you are setting it up and power sequence.

Douggie

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... I'm kinda new to this brushless/ESC thing so I'm not sure what you mean by power sequence.

I got the ESCs to do what I wanted them to with exception to setting up the low voltage cut off. Thats what I was hoping to do with the card.

I am powering the card with the receiver battery pack and plugging the ESC into the card and plugging the LiPo into the ESC. This is exactly how the instructions say to do it.

britscoot
11-03-2010, 06:14 PM
are you using this one? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-pcard&cat=136

Its so easy with this.

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
No its the Turnigy card from HK, the 6 dollar one.

britscoot
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
does it look like the one i posted?

carlcisneros
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Turnegy 120 ESC the same as the swordfish 120 ESC?

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
This is the one.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2169

britscoot
11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I didnt know that program card worked with the marine esc.
This one works and is easy to use.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7187

britscoot
11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
The seaking card here on ose will work also.
I think the one you have is for helis ect.

ScarabChris
11-03-2010, 11:06 PM
You could be right, here are some excerpts from the description....

This item is an excellent addition to your flight kit, and lets you quickly change the BESCs settings in the field

I notice now it says "field" and not lake.

But then it says this....

Compatible with all Hobbywing, Thunderpower, Turnigy and OEMRC Sentilon speed controllers.

I guess thats the part I saw when ordering.

I'll get that one from Steve you listed so I can get these things just right. But in the mean time I got forward and reverse and really nice throttle response. Just gotta be careful not to run the LiPos down.

Another thing. The directions to the ESC say there are LEDs that blink and beep to let you know what is going on. I get beeps from the motors but no beeps from the ESCs and no LED indicators on the ESCs.

Make-a-Wake
11-03-2010, 11:18 PM
These threads are painful...................all the card programming, and huge frustration by those who try it. I have never owned a card and own several of these ESC's.............just manually program it..............it takes two minutes........alot less than the hour and a half you spent with the "card".

These are great ESC's that can take some punishment............... Lets see that boat run now!!!:banana:

britscoot
11-03-2010, 11:22 PM
no beeps with the OSE seaking card. just select numbers and push buttons.

ScarabChris
11-04-2010, 08:51 AM
These threads are painful...................all the card programming, and huge frustration by those who try it. I have never owned a card and own several of these ESC's.............just manually program it..............it takes two minutes........alot less than the hour and a half you spent with the "card".

These are great ESC's that can take some punishment............... Lets see that boat run now!!!:banana:

First test run will be today for sure. I'll get my buddy to video it this weekend.

Yeah I'll try to program the low voltage cut off with the TX today.

ScarabChris
11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
OK I think I am getting the hang of programming these ESCs.

Question about the low voltage cut off and the timing.

LVC...I set it at 3.0V/cell. Does that mean when the cells reach 3 volts the motors will cut off leaving the boat floating in the middle of the lake?

The timing. I tested the boat with the timing at the default setting. The boat was not fast at all. So I set the timing at the highest setting of 26.25*. Is this correct?

jamespl
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
That sounds a bit high to me, im no expert but doesnt the timing depend on how many cells you are using? I use the seaking esc's and i think the programming is the same so you want something like 14deg for 4 cells 15deg for 5cells and so on. It tells you the coresponding timing for the amount of cells in the instructions.

ScarabChris
11-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I read over the instructions, nothing about the timing needing to be set according to the battery. It says it depends on the motor you are using. Here is what is says...

"Please select the most suitable timing value according the the motor you are just using. The correct timing value makes the motor running smoothly. And generally a higher timing value brings out higher output power and higher speed"

jamespl
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
In that case I would say start at 14deg or maybe lower and work it up checking temps each time then stick with the highest timing u can but also the best temps if that makes sense? Anyone feel fee to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a seasoned pro.

ScarabChris
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Just did a test run with the timing at its highest setting. The boat was super fast (for the type of setup) and the motors, ESCs and batteries were actually cool to the touch.

jamespl
11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Just did a test run with the timing at its highest setting. The boat was super fast (for the type of setup) and the motors, ESCs and batteries were actually cool to the touch.

Wow that does supprise me, I might try my venom p1 at 15 deg then!

ScarabChris
11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Keep in mind I did not do a long full throttle run. I ran the boat for about 8 minutes at various speeds. I was at WOT for maybe 50% of the time.

Still need some guidance on the LVC. If the batteries reach the programmed low voltage will the motors stop leaving the boat stranded or will it be able to be driven in at slow speed?

jamespl
11-04-2010, 04:30 PM
It should drop to half throttle so you can bring it back to shore. If you pull the throttle full it will just cut out but run at half.

ScarabChris
11-04-2010, 04:49 PM
It should drop to half throttle so you can bring it back to shore. If you pull the throttle full it will just cut out but run at half.

OK cool, thats what I was hoping for.

I set the cutoff at 3 volts per cell. The batteries are 3800 mAh 11.1 volt 3s. Is a 3 volt cutoff good or do I need to go higher?