PDA

View Full Version : rips tsb gen 3 cat

RIPFENCE
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
i had a large box show up today...:bounce: after 6 weeks i go my top secret boats gen 2 cat..after seeing it in person its well worth the wait. bill from tsb did an outstanding job on the hullthe finish is almost flawless with just a few minor scratches on the underside of the hull which is nothing at all...i was astounded by the actual size of the hull..its big and its heavy...the hull tips the scales at 11.5 lbs:eek: definately designed for a big gasser...but this is not offshore gassers now is it. which brings me to the very first dilemma of the build thread..how do i get this heavy of a hull to 65 plus mph? anything less is going to do this beauty an injustice IMO i already purchased a scorpion hk 4035 from jason in the swap shop but i really cannot see the motor being able to push this thing..the hull is screaming twins so maybe 2 hk 4035's 800 kv on 10s each might be the answer?!?!? i am going to need all the help i can get on this one..also if i do go twins which drives should i use? this hull is equipped with wheelie bars on the transom which overhang 5.25 inches off the transom as shown in the pics...whereabouts should i be thinkning about mounting the drives?? there is a ton of room inside the boat so twins is definately possible...thank you in advance for help good bad or indifferent..oh yeah its a gen2 cat not 3

RIPFENCE
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
maybe these drives would work?:confused2:

Powertrim V PX-1 -Twin Pack- (for 3/16" flex cable)

Drive Type:
Custom Semi-Scale Adjustable BPM Drive for 80cm-125cm catamarans such as the Isiklar - Zerodefect - Nomad XL (m-1764/M)
NEW: for 3/16" Flex Cable, for larger Electric Motors and Nitro engines. Two drives in this set.
Description:

Two scale drives can be used in our Isiklar - Zerodefect - Nomad XL (m-1764/M) with two electric motors. This drive accepts a 3/16" flex cable and has a 3/16" propshaft with a drivedog and prop nut. The larger flex cable diameter now allows the drive to be used with larger electric motors as well as Nitro engines. This drive is CNC milled from billet aluminum and allows tuning the drive by changing the trim angle by loosening one easily-accessible set screw. This set contains two drives.

Technical Details:
Weight: 49 gram (1.7 oz)
Length (outside of transom): 115 mm (4.5 inch)
Distance Transom to support: 68 mm (2.7 inch)
Height from bottom of drive to

hull-attachment point of support (min/max):
25/30 mm (1.0/1.2 inch) with washers/spacers

up to 41mm (1.6 inch)

Diameter hole through transom: 10mm (0.4 inch)
Diameter knee joint 17.8mm (0.7 inch)

carlcisneros
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
in my guesstimate, I would go with a pair of speedmater stinger struts for 1/4" cables.
the mounting plate for the stingers should be fine on each rear sponson area of the cat. (if you are in fact going to set it up as a twin.)

measurements on the 1/4" drive stinger mounting area is 1 5/8" tall x 1 3/8" wide. the length on the nitro version (which I use on my CMB 90 Insane MONO) is 3 1/4" long.
I would mount them above the flat running pads.
I ran a 42" areomarine cat years ago with twin Picco 7.5's burried in each side. worked great
hope this helps.

RIPFENCE
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
thanks for your help..the thing that worries me is the overall length of the drives and how it effects handling on a twin cat..if i could use 1/4 stingers it would be much more cost freindly that is for sure!!! i wanted to try to get a pair of drives that were longer or almost as long as the "wheelie bars" but that might not even matter...this is obviously my first twin build and i am a little overwhelmed here hahaha..nothing like blowing money and taking chances blindly..i am glad that there are some great people on this forum that are super knowledgeable that may be able to shed some light here and there:biggrin:

carlcisneros
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
yes, there are some great folks here on the forum and I for one have used alot of their information.

The length of the stingers should not be a problem. I would also use the X series Octura
props as they don't have as MUCH of a rooster tail as some of the other Octura and ABC props do.

If in fact you DO set it up for twin motors and get the thing going pretty good on the Octuras, you can do a minor mod on the props to give you more speed by rounding off the nose (closest part of the prop to the drive dog slot). This rounding prevents the govenor effect that the props have. It allows the prop to keep accelerating instead of hitting a wall so to speak.

Carl

CornelP
11-02-2010, 03:20 AM
You can actually go for longer struts, mounted through or in the wheelie bars. Something like this:
http://www.hydromarine.de/hm_10302.htm

RIPFENCE
11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
i like the idea of two stingers...i really hate installing the strut style drive with the bent stuffing tube on the underside of the hull...going twins will allow me to avoid that process...hotr on ebay has these cool 1/4 stingers

RIPFENCE
11-06-2010, 09:25 AM
got the rudder mounted..it looks low on the transom..but if this boat is supposed to be riding on the pads then it will give me about 2 and 7/8 inches of ruddder at speed aired out. hope its enough!!

LarrysDrifter
11-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Nice rudder.How long is your hull?Also,have you thought about 2 Leopard 5692's 730kv?Somewhat cheap priced and by the way it sounds,they might fit.I have a feeling an outrunner will get hot with out a cooled mount or some other way of cooling.

RIPFENCE
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
i am getting a couple of cooled mounts from south river rc i am going to try..i have already ordered the 2 scorpions..i am worried about the whole cooling thing and i may have to add fans too..we will see..the leopards are another good choice..if i do not like the scorpions then i will sell them and try another setup..they should push this thing fast

RIPFENCE
11-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice rudder.How long is your hull?Also,have you thought about 2 Leopard 5692's 730kv?Somewhat cheap priced and by the way it sounds,they might fit.I have a feeling an outrunner will get hot with out a cooled mount or some other way of cooling.

the hull is 44 inches i forgot to reply to that

LarrysDrifter
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Sweet.I love big cats.Good luck with your build,Ill be watching this for sure.

RIPFENCE
11-28-2010, 01:42 PM
i got the scorpion 4035's mocked up where i think they are going to sit..jim williams went out of his way to make some custom watercooled mounts at 3/3/16 spacing to fit my boat..they came out real nice..another obstacle is the transoms on this boat are not 90 degress..they angle downward at 85 degress so i have to build a shim plate out of aluminum flat bar for both of my drives to be able to mount at zero degrees flat against the transoms...i also included a couple pics of the hotr drives i purchased..these are sweet because the length of the stinger can be adjusted as well as the positive and negative thrust angles...the length being adjustable solves my problem of getting out past this boats "wheelie bars"

progress is slow but i am in no rush..gathering parts here and there

blackcat26
11-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Oh man, this baby should haul bro! Can't wait to see it in action!

RIPFENCE
11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh man, this baby should haul bro! Can't wait to see it in action!

i honestly have no idea how fast this boat should go..i know they are heavy gas hulls so i thought the weight could be advantageaous concerning top end..tsb said they have had it at 68mph with a gasser setup so i hope to be a little over that..we will see..thanks for the nice comment:banana:

blackcat26
11-28-2010, 02:05 PM
At 4200w a piece that thing will have just over 11.26 total HP! What size props you looking at x457?

RIPFENCE
11-28-2010, 02:48 PM
at 4200w a piece that thing will have just over 11.26 total hp! What size props you looking at x457?

i have 2 counter rotating abc props right now that are 58.8 mm 3 blade 1.6 pitch...as you know there are just not that many stock prop choices for left and rh rotation...

RIPFENCE
11-28-2010, 03:18 PM
At 4200w a piece that thing will have just over 11.26 total HP! What size props you looking at x457?

hahaha i guess i really should have thought a little more about that!!! it probably will not need red bull to give it wings!!! i have never seen vids or anything on this hull so you just do not know whats going to happen...

blackcat26
11-28-2010, 05:27 PM
I think you will be taxing those drive shafts for sure. May want to go to 1/4" flex with the 3/16 stub on it....

RIPFENCE
11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
the stingers are for 1/4 flex...and yes i have the 3/16th stubs..

blackcat26
11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you are ready to put down some power! Let's get this thing cooking!

RIPFENCE
11-28-2010, 07:21 PM
too bad its going to be frozen before the cooking happens..looking forward to the spring thaw..btw i watched you geico vid..real nice job

blackcat26
11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks bro! Potentially I could run year round here just have to get used to numb fingers!

RIPFENCE
12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
ok finally have an update and got a few things done..first of all i got my motors glassed in and they came out decent..i have been waiting on a couple of drive shims i needed to have cut out of t6061 aliminum..since the transoms of this cat are cut a 85 degrees i needed to have these shims cut so my drives could start out level..my buddy at work milled these out on his milling machine..also got the drives mounted tonight..these stingers look beastly and are perfect for this hull since the length can be adjusted and the positive and neg trim angle is adjusted by the socket head screw on the front face of the drives unlike most stingers..this gives me enough room to get an allen wrench underneath the wheelie bars on the hull..also installed transom doublers for reinforcement and used the system 5 marine grade epoxy and hardener to get them set..system5 is the shiznet!! more updates to come:Peace_Sign:

blackcat26
12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh man those stingers look kewl!

RIPFENCE
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok its been a while and i have been slow going on with all my boats i am building...first update is with the props.."chuckegneg" did an outstanding job on the abc three bladers..how he works his magic is beyond me!! I installed the hitec servo and heavy duty rudder linkage using a simple cheap aeromarine servo mount..1/4 flexes were obvoiusly installed..next will be some brass flex tubing supports and installation of swordfish 240's when they come back for repair..until next time

rip