PDA

View Full Version : turnigy 180 esc problems in df29

driftah
10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
my problem is a weird on to me but who knows...anyways I have a turnigy180/seaking 180 amp esc in my df29 on a 9xl with 4s and 5s setups I toss the 5s batts in and then in the water she goes good for about 2 seconds then cuts to 1/3 throttle..then I tried my 4s setup and It didnt do it.Weird because the 4s are 50c 5400mah 2sx2 but the other 5s is a 25c 4000mah combo as in, one pack is a 3 cell and the other is a 2cell,and yes it was fully charged the 5s and yes they are all the same cells and mah Am I missing something or is this just an esc that likes high c ratings or no go....I am baffled? the drive line is smooth as butter as well so not that.

JMSCARD
10-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Your low voltage cutoff is kicking in.... Turn off the lvc.... They work wierd in t180's and it's probably set for 4 cell batts

forescott
10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Like jms said or could be 100 amps on the 5s config. isn't enough to feed the esc/motor and it is shutting down. My T-180 did the same. Ran great on 4s 30c 7200mah total, but only half throttle on 4s 30c 4000mah total.

marko500
10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
The ESCs also have to be programmed for the number of cells you are running. Or they can be set to "auto detect" if you are running different cell counts alot. Do you have a programming box for the ESC? I took a Seaking 120 out of a boat that was running 4s and put it in a boat running 2s without reprogramming it and it did the exact same thing as yours. Changed number of cells from 4 to 2 and it worked fine.

Mark

marko500
10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
On the program box its item 2 "lipo cells"

Mark

forescott
10-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Sometimes the auto calculate setting acts up too. If thats what your set at, try programming your actual cell count.

driftah
10-29-2010, 11:09 PM
this is the prog card I got with it and the features 1-4 are the only ones that are accessable to me 1.running mode 2.drag brake force 3.cut off threshold 4.start mode(punch) I dont know how to get into the advanced side of the menu??????? when I hit the item button it goes from 4 right back to 1

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x12/kyle3860/rc/th_DSC01861.jpg (http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x12/kyle3860/rc/?action=view&current=DSC01861.jpg)

Make-a-Wake
10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Program it manually for 5s when you want to run it that way. If you dont have the manual let me know and i'll post a "walk thru" of how to do it..........it takes about 30 seconds.

driftah
10-29-2010, 11:21 PM
please post.... I run 5s for giggles and 4s for normal running show me the way lol

Diesel6401
10-29-2010, 11:25 PM
this is the prog card I got with it and the features 1-4 are the only ones that are accessable to me 1.running mode 2.drag brake force 3.cut off threshold 4.start mode(punch) I dont know how to get into the advanced side of the menu??????? when I hit the item button it goes from 4 right back to 1

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x12/kyle3860/rc/th_DSC01861.jpg (http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x12/kyle3860/rc/?action=view&current=DSC01861.jpg)

Yes that is the right card, but you are looking at the wrong options. Ignor the sticker on the front and look in the esc manual and you will see the option selection for marine esc's. Their is no "advance" side, marine esc's only have 4 prgrammable functions. The sticker on the front is for car esc's. They are the same boxes, the difference in programming is in the esc's not the box..

Read bottom right of page 1 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/560685427X76598X56.pdf

I cut this section out and taped it to the box.

Make-a-Wake
10-29-2010, 11:29 PM
OK...........i've done this a hundred times..........this is the easy way to understand and do it.

Turn on the TX
Put a rubberband around the TX grip and use it to hold the throttle to full forward
Now plug in the batts
Let it beep a few times..........then it will make a musical set of notes.......leave it alone
Then it will start to beep..................first one.........then two......after the "two" beeps, move the trigger to neutral(releasing the rubber band)It will then begin a series of numbered beeps again..........1 then 2, 3, 4, one long, 1 long+ 1 short...........give it full throttle and hold after one long and hold it for about 2 seconds and release to neutral.

Its now set for 5s. For 4s full throttle it in the second phase of beeps after the 4 short beeps.

Diesel6401
10-29-2010, 11:37 PM
OK...........i've done this a hundred times..........this is the easy way to understand and do it.

Turn on the TX
Put a rubberband around the TX grip and use it to hold the throttle to full forward
Now plug in the batts
Let it beep a few times..........then it will make a musical set of notes.......leave it alone
Then it will start to beep..................first one.........then two......after the "two" beeps, move the trigger to neutral(releasing the rubber band)It will then begin a series of numbered beeps again..........1 then 2, 3, 4, one long, 1 long+ 1 short...........give it full throttle and hold after one long and hold it for about 2 seconds and release to neutral.

Its now set for 5s. For 4s full throttle it in the second phase of beeps after the 4 short beeps.

Now that he has the program data sheet for marine esc's he should be able to use the box now with no problem to switch between 4/5s.

Make-a-Wake
10-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Cool................i couldnt find a download of it............i swear from what im reading in threads, that the manual programming is so much easier.........................i have it memorized:biggrin:

Diesel6401
10-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Cool................i couldnt find a download of it............i swear from what im reading in threads, that the manual programming is so much easier.........................i have it memorized:biggrin:

The box works GREAT for me. Stick it in my pocket and head to the lake. Takes 5 seconds to change the programming with the hobbywings. I love that little box!!! Plus it's super nice to use the same box on my T-180 and seaking 120s.

driftah
10-29-2010, 11:49 PM
it just sucks tho when you keep having to reconnect the red bec wire to reprogram it

Flying Scotsman
10-29-2010, 11:52 PM
my problem is a weird on to me but who knows...anyways I have a turnigy180/seaking 180 amp esc in my df29 on a 9xl with 4s and 5s setups I toss the 5s batts in and then in the water she goes good for about 2 seconds then cuts to 1/3 throttle..then I tried my 4s setup and It didnt do it.Weird because the 4s are 50c 5400mah 2sx2 but the other 5s is a 25c 4000mah combo as in, one pack is a 3 cell and the other is a 2cell,and yes it was fully charged the 5s and yes they are all the same cells and mah Am I missing something or is this just an esc that likes high c ratings or no go....I am baffled? the drive line is smooth as butter as well so not that.

I have that ESC....are you running it with an external power source and not the power from your main batteries ? also remove the low voltage cutoff, if you are using BEC

Douggie

Diesel6401
10-29-2010, 11:57 PM
it just sucks tho when you keep having to reconnect the red bec wire to reprogram it

The programming box has to plug inputs, 1 for you esc and the second is for your rx pack if your not using the esc's bec. You should be able to connect your battery pack to the programming box and power it from their.

Page 2 explains more http://site.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing/HW-10-v2.pdf

chummer
10-30-2010, 12:02 AM

On another thread a member (I think it was Fluid) suggested a short 4" servo extension between your rec. and ESC. Just unplug the red wire on the extension that way you don't have to mess with your ESC wires.

Try printing this off and taping it to the back of your card.

forescott
10-30-2010, 09:15 AM

I'm with you on that one! All my esc's are seaking/turnigy. Tx programming is easy and I also have it memorized. :laugh:

driftah
10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
scotsman I have the positive and negative from the bec going to my positive and negative on the esc then the other side is going in my battery port on the rx and no I do not run an external rx pack just my lipos for power.and why are you all saying to run with no lipo cut on this esc??????? confused here

forescott
10-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Some of the 180's act funny and the only way some guys can get them to work is to turn off the lipo cutoff. Not recommended, but it sometimes works.

JMSCARD
10-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't run LIPO cuttoffs on any of my esc's ..... ever...lol... and somehow I have never run them down past there point... I tend to run mine for a few minutes and call it good.... stick some freshies in it again and run a few more minutes....lol... of course I bring a suitcase of lipos with me when I go out...

Flying Scotsman
10-30-2010, 03:48 PM
scotsman I have the positive and negative from the bec going to my positive and negative on the esc then the other side is going in my battery port on the rx and no I do not run an external rx pack just my lipos for power.and why are you all saying to run with no lipo cut on this esc??????? confused here

Just my opinion....I run all my ESC with external power and for those that use BEC circuitry on that ESC, turning off the low voltage cutoff has solved the problem you describe

Douggie

maxmekker
10-30-2010, 03:53 PM
On another thread a member (I think it was Fluid) suggested a short 4" servo extension between your rec. and ESC. Just unplug the red wire on the extension that way you don't have to mess with your ESC wires.

Try printing this off and taping it to the back of your card.

That tip is great. I can not get mine to work with the rx pack, and had to remove the red wire when I wanted to program it with lipo, can't figure out why I did not think of using an extension wire.

A short clip of me programming the 180 amp.
act-jrhOZ4Q

As Diesel6401 say's. it's a great little thing to bring to the lake. I was not expection much after reading the stuff on hobbyking, many reportet doa unit's, and then it I had to figure out that the template was wrong, but after that it's a great thing to have.
Only thing is the typhoon I ordered with it gave up on 6s.

CD-P0TgW7IQ