PDA

View Full Version : No power!

Rumdog
10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I've been without electricity for 36 hours. It's 39 degrees in my house. This blows. Damaging winds for two days in the great lakes area have wiped out tons of lines. Just needed to rant..

Darin Jordan
10-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I've been without electricity for 36 hours. It's 39 degrees in my house. This blows. Damaging winds for two days in the great lakes area have wiped out tons of lines. Just needed to rant..

Been there! Sorry man!! We had a big wind-storm a couple of years ago and were out of power for 5-days... It started with freezing rain, which LITERALLY built up about 1" thick on everything, then dropped down into the teens for 4 days or so... Power went out. Luckily, we have two gas fireplaces. However, the blowers didn't work due to the power outage, so I compromised... I took a couple of big CPU/Power Supply fans I happened to have, and charged up a bunch of my NiMH 6-cell packs, using a car battery, and wired them up on the fireplace!! Heated at least the living room that way. Still about 25-degrees in the house at night though...

Brrrrrr..... Hang in there, buddy...

johnf
10-28-2010, 04:55 PM
That sucks. With all the hurricanes I've gone through on the gulf coast, I know the feeling. The benefit for you is, your refridgerated food should survive the outtage. Imagine your fridge turning into a 110 degree box for days. LOL

Years back when hurricane Rita hit, my parents made the mistake of leaving their fridge packed. When we got home, we zip tied the fridge doors together, rolled it out the house, and put it to the curb for trash pick up. Judging by the sludge dripping out the bottom, opening the door would have been dangerous. haha.

dana
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I pray this doesn't happen all the time... It would reek fatal havoc to my reef tank. I need to figure out some sort of backup plan to keep the heater and filter going in case of emergency

westbeach
10-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Not great weather! Hope things settle down. Take care Rummy!

Jeff Wohlt
10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Use those lipos! LOL.

You can go get a DC to AC converter cheap and use some cells to make AC if you want...for lights, etc. I always keep an oil lamp and I have 2 gas fireplaces that work with no power.

Go buy a generator before they are gone!

befu
10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Been there in your shoes when we lived up in Michigan on west side.

Now I have a 5000 watt generator, a smaller and quieter 1000 watt generator that will power an appliance or two or both furnaces. I have a 400 watt DC to AC inverter that I can use for something small if need be. up to 140 gallons of fuel in jugs or vehicles to power everything. I have a spare sump pump already plumbed up to a union for a quick change, as well as a water powered backup pump (city water). Have a ventless heater for the garage, so I can keep that warm as well as a 36,000 btu gas log set which is the same heat output as my lower furnace. My stove is gas so I can also use that for heat.

Have many led flashlights to include the handy but dorky looking head lamp ones. Propane lanterns as well as a few oil lamps. Water and food storage is another thread!

The best part..... since doing all of this I have never been without power for much over an hour. That alone made it worth while!

I feel your pain man, been there and I do not wish that on anyone or look forward to doing it anytime soon again. Good luck. I think my little two stroke 1000 watt heater was about $150 and works great. They also had the same on at Autozone awhile back, never thought to look there! Generators are priceless when you need them.

Brian