PDA

View Full Version : Programming for lipos on MG

POWERS
10-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I got a couple MaxAmps 2s 5250mah Lipos in and Am ready to make the switch to lipo.

I picked up a program card from my lhs. And read the instructions but still just want to make sure I understand it. My understanding is that i just plug the esc into it and turn it on and it beeps and im done. right?

Also besides the obvious switch for lipo, what other settings would be suggested.

Whats the difference between the two timing options? Which should I use?

blackcat26
10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
You are on the right track for programming. It's almost too simple.
these settings will make her scoot.

Battery Type: Lipo
Cutoff Voltage: High
Cutoff Type: Either one works fine I like slow down
Brake: Off
Timing: high
Throttle Curve: linear (higher speed)

POWERS
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I plugged in the programmer and it beeps almost immediately . That's really it?

blackcat26
10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes

POWERS
10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
That was easy enough, Thanks!

Boomer
10-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I thought the same thing. It was almost too easy. I have other Lipo powered boats that require programing Turnigy 120A ESCs. I ordered a programing card that is set up to do this, so I am hoping it is as easy or close to the MG process.

The radio that came with my EKOS is pretty straight forward and the instructions are pretty clear for converting to lipos so that should be easy. I will be converting that boat to a 2.4 system once I figure out which radio to buy.

I am sure once you have programed a few, it is like the rest of this. All of the guys here have figured it out, now it is our turn. This forum and RCGroup.com have been like having private tutors around for me. Great resources.

I am going to do a search to see if there are some past threads that address the programing process.

Any body have some pointers, fire away!
Thank you
Boomer

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
I thought the same thing. It was almost too easy. I have other Lipo powered boats that require programing Turnigy 120A ESCs. I ordered a programing card that is set up to do this, so I am hoping it is as easy or close to the MG process.

The radio that came with my EKOS is pretty straight forward and the instructions are pretty clear for converting to lipos so that should be easy. I will be converting that boat to a 2.4 system once I figure out which radio to buy.

I am sure once you have programed a few, it is like the rest of this. All of the guys here have figured it out, now it is our turn. This forum and RCGroup.com have been like having private tutors around for me. Great resources.

I am going to do a search to see if there are some past threads that address the programing process.

Any body have some pointers, fire away!
Thank you
Boomer

Did you order the Turnigy marine 120 or the Turnigy aquastar 120? The marine is a seaking, the aquastar is a swordfish which steve sells.

Here's the Radio I use (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3140) and love. It will also bind to the rx the MG comes with. I love it, I even set up my telemetry on my MG to give me real time feed on the temps in the boat.

Boomer
10-28-2010, 04:24 PM
I got the 120A Marine version. I found a program card at Kintec Racing that works on these and a few others. I looked for one on OSE but didn't find one that stated it would work on this ESC. (Perhaps because I need things spelled out for me in large print.) I like to support Steve when ever I can, but didn't see one for these. I selected these ESCs because of the good press they get on this and other forums.
I looked at that radio once before, but held off because of the price, but you being one of my RC mentors, and recommending it, carries a lot of weight.
I watched the promo video at HH and like that it works on a number of their older receivers. You mentioned that you were able to program it to provide the telemetry from your MG, is that with the stock receiver or one of their new ones?
I am a little surprised that at that price it doesn't come with a receiver? Guess some guys just buy one or two receivers and switch them from boat to boat to save money. It's not hard to do, so maybe that makes sense.
My friends like Futaba's radios (mostly stick radios for aircraft and sailboats) I have an Airtronics RDS 8000 that I use on my sailboats and aircraft, which is a nice radio. It is a little less user friendly than their Futbabas, but it was a lot less $$$ too. Does all the same stuff, just the process has more steps.

Thank you for the tip!!!
Boomer

ron1950
10-28-2010, 04:27 PM
love the spectrums....have a dx3r for surface (car ) raceing but cant use it with marine rx...bummer

Boomer
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Ron
Love that picture by the way!! Check out the video on at HH on the new radio. In the vidoe if I understood correclty, they (send it to HH) for $50 will upgrade the older versions to the newer technology.
Take a look to see if my old ears were right or not.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3140
Boomer

ron1950
10-28-2010, 04:40 PM
i think they are talking about older dx3s radio's not dx3r's....i should prob sell my dx3r and get a 3s sence it will work with all my recivers in boats and cars.....

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I got the 120A Marine version. I found a program card at Kintec Racing that works on these and a few others. I looked for one on OSE but didn't find one that stated it would work on this ESC. (Perhaps because I need things spelled out for me in large print.) I like to support Steve when ever I can, but didn't see one for these. I selected these ESCs because of the good press they get on this and other forums.
I looked at that radio once before, but held off because of the price, but you being one of my RC mentors, and recommending it, carries a lot of weight.
I watched the promo video at HH and like that it works on a number of their older receivers. You mentioned that you were able to program it to provide the telemetry from your MG, is that with the stock receiver or one of their new ones?
I am a little surprised that at that price it doesn't come with a receiver? Guess some guys just buy one or two receivers and switch them from boat to boat to save money. It's not hard to do, so maybe that makes sense.
My friends like Futaba's radios (mostly stick radios for aircraft and sailboats) I have an Airtronics RDS 8000 that I use on my sailboats and aircraft, which is a nice radio. It is a little less user friendly than their Futbabas, but it was a lot less $$$ too. Does all the same stuff, just the process has more steps.

Thank you for the tip!!!
Boomer

In order to use telemetry it requires a special rx. If you buy the bundle http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3140, you will get the telemetry rx as well as another rx. The antenna length is very short on the rx's that come with this because they are not the marine version. I had to make a special tray for the telemetry rx to work in my MG. As far as the programming card, the esc you purchased is a hobbywing seaking esc re-branded as Turnigy. Also the EKOS 60amp esc's are the same as the turnigy marine. This programming card will work for those esc's http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-pcard. Some of the programming cards for these esc's have car options listed on the sticker on the front of the box. Don't freakout if you recieve a box with the car sticker, the box's are the same and only the stickers are different. If you look in your esc manual you will see a program chart with 4 options. When you plug a marine esc into the box it only allows you to change 4 values, if you plug a car esc into the same box it gives you more options. The software differences are in the esc and not the box. Hopefully all this makes sense.

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
These are ALL THE SAME ESC'sVenom (http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=1398), Seaking (http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-60a.html) (the image shown is V1, but this is a V2 esc. They never changed the picture. You can tell by the cooling nipples), Turnigy (http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7360). I know you have the 120, but the 60s, 90, 120 are the same (besides the obvious amp rating). Notice venoms price hike!

These are the same:
Turnigy 180 (http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937)
OSE (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-180)

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Ron
Love that picture by the way!! Check out the video on at HH on the new radio. In the vidoe if I understood correclty, they (send it to HH) for $50 will upgrade the older versions to the newer technology.
Take a look to see if my old ears were right or not.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3140
Boomer

If you purchase now, this is done and not required. This is for dx3s made/sold before June 2009.

tman52804
10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
What settings would you use on the seaking 180amp esc for my CC/Neu 1512, 1800kv motor?

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 06:58 PM
What settings would you use on the seaking 180amp esc for my CC/Neu 1512, 1800kv motor?

I have that motor. I plan on running it a default 15.00 to start. Not sure if it's right or not. I run my leopards at that timing and they like it.

blackcat26
10-28-2010, 07:03 PM
15deg works good on mine on 6s. Neu recommends a little higher timing like 15 on the "y" winds.

POWERS
10-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Just want to make sure the programming worked.

I plugged the programmer in turned the on switch on and it beeped once, I turn the power off, disconnect the programmer, and reconnect the receiver. When i turn the power back on the only thing that works is the steering, pull the throttle and nothing. SO i turn it off and unplug a battery and plug it back in then everything works. Is this normal?

ron1950
10-31-2010, 09:42 PM
yes u have to disconect the batteries before it takes for some reason....i think its supposed to beep twice now when u turn it on if linerer throttle was selected

FrostyNutz
12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
yes u have to disconect the batteries before it takes for some reason....i think its supposed to beep twice now when u turn it on if linerer throttle was selected

Thanks Ron ,, I just scratching my head wondering why my motor wouldn't run . This site rocks :hug1: