PDA

View Full Version : Battery Chargers

ice329
04-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Just wanted to post some info.

Recently I bought a MRC super brain 977. Bought it for its double charging capabilities along with it being able to charge LiPo's and also discharge. Being honest I like how it charges the LiPos but it absolutly STINKS when it comes to NiMH packs. Faulse peaks a minimum of 4 times per charge. It dont do it with NiCD or LiPo's SO FAR.

Last night I did a series of tests. I had several packs that needed charging. tryed the MRC on all differnt amp setting and adjusted the MV settings, it did the same thing.

I bought my brother a DuraTrax intellapeak double charger. I changed the plugs to dean and wanted to check things out. Its a fixed rate of 3.5 amps with no bells or wistles, just plug your pack in and forget about it. I charged up 2 bran new Battlepack 3600's seeming fine.

I took one of my matched Battle pack 3600's and one of the other new ones, discharged both also did the same to the other two one matched one new, discharged both. I set 2, one of each on the MRC at 3.5 amps and one of each on my brothers DuraTrax and started all at the same time. The MRC faulse peaked at 1455 and 1710, then again 322 mah later then again 600 mah then again after that basically close to the same time on each pack but not the same times so that eliminated a power supply spike(its the charger) JUNK. The DuraTrax peaked both packs at about 122 degrees, about 5 miniutes apart.

Anyone have any issues with the DuraTrax double. I like it and want to get one, even with NO bells and wistles. I like that is dont have any and is seemingly a no fooling around way to charge the packs.

properchopper
04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm with you there, Ice. I bought a MRC & have lots of trouble with it. The lag between setting inputs was supposed to be three seconds, then it became 10 or more, then quit altogether. I fell back on my Duratrax & it does the job just fine. Just plug & play ; lots of bang for the buck. :)

sjslhill
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
It's amazing to me that people buy BL motors, BL ESC's, LiPoly batteries, Fiberglass hull and stainless hardware and then a cheap junk charger from Tower Hobbies. I get so many questions about battery packs and it's some junk charger causing the problem.

ice329
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Steve I bought that MRC before I met you. It was already on its way. Let me know what you think of the DuraTrax double. Or which charger you like for the NiNH.

sjslhill
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Not picking on you Joey, just pointing out a fact.

I would never buy a DuraTrax for anything, I use Astroflight only. If I did not, I would use a Hyperion next.

thanks,
Steve

ice329
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
I will look into both of those brand before I get something.

I feel I got ripped off with the MRC. I cant even get a refund only store credit.

properchopper
04-17-2007, 10:50 AM
In fairness to Mr. Hill's comments, I did buy from Battlepack recently a Hyperion charger & power supply. My Duratrax was bought years ago when I was a newbie :p If you advance in this hobby you'll do yourself right to check out the Hyperion.

sjslhill
04-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Schulze makes good chargers as well.

lferguson
04-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I use the hyperion system for my Ni chem cells. I think it is an excellent charger. In fact it's my favorite of all i have used. I also think the charger and the LBA10 balancer is a outstanding system as well. I have said this ever since I started using them. IMO, You can't buy a better dual chem system for the money. It's easy to use, and pretty darn safe as far as Lipos. I would say it's one of the safer systems for folks new to Lipos and it's an excellent value. I have two of the EOS 5i's and love them. I don't use them for Lipos but I would if they made "universal" taps to fit ever device.
I also owned a SuperBrain 977.. It sucked.

SJFE
04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your 997 Ice. They are splashed all over the RC mags like they are the second comming of Christ:confused: I take the mag adds with a huge grain of salt. As for chargers...My Duratrax Ice hasent giving me reason to cus @ it yet. I don't how ever plan on it being the charger for next season. I plan to to enter some events. The Astro, Schulze, Hyperion, Competition Electronics Turbo 35 GFX(Nimh only) and Team Integy Indi 16x908 are on my list to research.

sjslhill
04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
That's a good list, protect your investment on batteries with a good charger. Some may think that I am just trying to sell chargers, not the case. I want everyone to get the right thing the first time. That is why we started selling batteries years ago. I bought all the junk that Tower Hobbies sold and Ed Hughey told me one day, spend the money up front and get the best and save in the long run. I stated, so Tower really knows nothing about batteries and just wants the sale? I started with one matcher and found out which cells could do what, it continues today.