PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Nat's Dates

Ken Haines
10-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Hello Racers,
It looks like we are finally going to to have some pond site approvals for the 2011 FE Nat's in Florida within the next week.
The next hurdle is making the final decision on when to have the event.
We are seeking some feedback from all who may likely to attend.

Briefly, due to the extreme heat of June, July, August in Florida, and trying to avoid hurricane season Sept, Oct, and maybe even November we are targeting the May possibly even April time frame. Currently there are two weeks in May that seem to have no conflicts so far in our club. These are:
May 11th - 15th (Wed-Sun) "Wednesday Practice" or
May 25th - 29th (Wed-Sun) "Wednesday Practice"
Considering the Easter Holiday (Sunday April 24th) & Mother's Day (Sunday May 8th),
which we definitely will avoid, and a CD conflict on May 18th - 22nd,
we are more seriously considering both these weekends.
We do realize that there is the Memorial Day weekend conflict with the 25th - 29th, Memorial Day being on the 30th.

Our real question on this thread open for conversation is that weekend a plus or minus in your minds for hosting the race. We do want to be respectful as a club to all the veterans past and present and would likely honor the veterans currently in our club that Sunday the 29th.
Obviously this would give everyone an extra day to travel home, and 1 less vacation day used up from work.
However we do not want to pick that weekend if a bunch of racers can't attend due to family picnics and gatherings etc. Please reply to this thread and let us know your thoughts. Nothing is definite at this time on the dates, so a heated debate should not be neccessary to help us decide. I have spoken to some of the previous Nats directors and this post seemed like a good idea, let's see how it works !

There was also a recent suggestion to have the race the first week in June, this would be another option.

Thanks for all your anticipated help, :sinking-guy:
Ken Haines
Terry Cowger
Rick Workman

BILL OXIDEAN
10-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey Ken! What exciting news! Looking forward to it.
I think the farther off the better, as it is May will be throwing the nats much less than a year later.

Any sooner and it really won't be a contest of how a racer has improved or developed their skills over the course of a season.

That's may just be my opinion though..

sailr
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey Ken, tried to return your call todayl

I would vote for May 11-15 but my first preference would be to back it up to April. The cooler the better.

longballlumber
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
my first preference would be to back it up to April. The cooler the better.

Has it been considered that most racers from "up north" will have a VERY VERY limited time to prepare/test for the Nats?

Just curious,
Mike

bill34207
10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Just pluggin in to listen & learn. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." :sorry:

hebner
10-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I vote for May 11 - 15, I agree with sailr the cooler the better, even in early June it is a very hot.

RayR
10-26-2010, 08:53 PM
May 11-15th for me as well.

All the best,

Ray

RayR
10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Has it been considered that most racers from "up north" will have a VERY VERY limited time to prepare/test for the Nats?

Just curious,
Mike

Mike,

Come a week early and warm up!

Ray

sailr
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure how 7 months is not long enough to prepare?

hebner
10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

bill34207
10-27-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm wondering if you have to be there for Wed practice to run on Sat/Sun.
I'm still among the working class and don't think I can make it for all the days.

Ken Haines
10-27-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm wondering if you have to be there for Wed practice to run on Sat/Sun.
I'm still among the working class and don't think I can make it for all the days.

Hey Bill,
The Wednesday practice day is completely optional.
The actual racing starts Thursday thru Sunday.
Also, we do not have the classes set yet, but depending on
the boats you intend to race you may or may not need Thursday.
Tentatively, the offshore classes will be on Friday, but certainly
nothing is in stone yet.
Thanks for everyone's replies, keep them coming.
Thanks, Ken :bounce:

longballlumber
10-27-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure how 7 months is not long enough to prepare?

Snow and ice?

Doby
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Snow and ice?

Exactly, the world does not revolve around Florida.

bill34207
10-27-2010, 08:49 AM
I thought all you guys moved down here about November and started thinking about going back north at tax deadline time. (at least that's the way traffic flow in this area looks) It's just now getting bearable weather to run down here.
Trust me, you do not want to be spending the day down here lakeside in June or July unless you have an air conditioned motor home or something to stay in.

T.C.
10-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Oct., Nov. would actually be the best time of the year because it's usually dry and cooler.
I think the main reason for staying away from this time of the year is the hurricanes.
Although we are on the downside of the hurricane season this time of the year so that may be a consideration.
I must agree that the June, July,August and sometimes into Sept. can be really hot.
Remember though, April showers bring May flowers AKA humidity.
T.C.

Hydromaniac
10-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Oct., Nov. would actually be the best time of the year because it's usually dry and cooler.
I think the main reason for staying away from this time of the year is the hurricanes.
Although we are on the downside of the hurricane season this time of the year so that may be a consideration.
I must agree that the June, July,August and sometimes into Sept. can be really hot.
Remember though, April showers bring May flowers AKA humidity.
T.C.

I'd be for OCT / NOV

bill34207
10-29-2010, 07:53 AM
When you get right down to it, I'd prefer Oct-Nov myself. The weather is more bearable (unless there's a hurricane coming through.) It's the slow season where I work and makes it easier to get a couple of days off as well. March-April would be my second choice, but I'm just along for the ride and not as serious about it as some. So, pay no attention to me. :zip-up:

BILL OXIDEAN
10-29-2010, 08:34 AM
October/November would only make sense.
Our nats here was scorching 100+ degrees still made for good racing.

The nats is an anual event, let me give you guys an analogy. We're in the 2010 world series right now right?

Would it make sense for them to start the 2011 world series in July next year less than a year after the last one?

I hope you guys see my point.

BILL OXIDEAN
10-29-2010, 08:37 AM
The super bowl is in Febuary every year. Would it be fair to teams to throw the next one the following august?

bill34207
10-29-2010, 08:10 PM
The super bowl is in Febuary every year. Would it be fair to teams to throw the next one the following august?

Shoot... they can play the super bowl any time they want. It will get the same attention from me regardless. :yawn:

obrien
11-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I am looking forward to this.

sailr
11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Should be great! Good to have you back Obrien!

sailr
12-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Has a date ever been firmed up?

obrien
12-14-2010, 06:54 PM
June 1st - 5th

highndry
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Just saw this thread..

BILL OXIDEAN
12-14-2010, 08:42 PM
June 1st - 5th

Too soon.

AlanN
12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Oh c'mon Willie. Are you saying that you're not ready? I'll build a new LSH you can try to chop up!

bill34207
12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I'll go along with him myself. I think we should push it back to Sept or Oct when it's cooler. :thumbup1:

BILL OXIDEAN
12-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh c'mon Willie. Are you saying that you're not ready? I'll build a new LSH you can try to chop up!

Ok, now my spirits are up, Nayman you're comin'?
Ok, this can't happen soon enough.

LSH Kharma got me good. Last week in practice, I hit a turtle in the apex, rudder breakaway kicked back and lost steering at full clamp.

Boat goes straight out of the apex towards a wall, I got out of it, but not quite soon enough. Slammed just hard enough to shatter a sponson. :olleyes:

I'll get her mended, but..

I saw you and Tucker at 2010 nats Colorado, but when I went to say whats up you guys were stuck to a poster dressed nice holding boats lol!!

Ken Haines
12-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey Bill and Alan,
Would be great to see you guys at our club for the nat's.

The dates are now definetely in concrete June 1-5.
We did make the announcement weeks ago on another
post which has been pinned on both sites.

As far as moving the date back to the fall, we have hurricane
season from August 1st to November 31st.
As this had effected I believe the 2004 nat's in Orlando, we
just could not take that chance. We tried to carefully listen to
all input and felt like this was the best comprimise for all.
Our district even reschedule one of there fuel events to
clear the way for us to get some help from our fellow
gas or nitro racers.

We really intend to be great hosts and have a terrific event.
Hope to see all of you in June.
Thanks,
Ken :bounce:

BILL OXIDEAN
12-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey Bill and Alan,
Would be great to see you guys at our club for the nat's.

The dates are now definetely in concrete June 1-5.
We did make the announcement weeks ago on another
post which has been pinned on both sites.

As far as moving the date back to the fall, we have hurricane
season from August 1st to November 31st.
As this had effected I believe the 2004 nat's in Orlando, we
just could not take that chance. We tried to carefully listen to
all input and felt like this was the best comprimise for all.
Our district even reschedule one of there fuel events to
clear the way for us to get some help from our fellow
gas or nitro racers.

We really intend to be great hosts and have a terrific event.
Hope to see all of you in June.
Thanks,
Ken :bounce:

We'll be there and I speak for both of us. Ken, you're one of my fave racers, you've supported our nats and everyones since you even started model boating, Nayman wouldn't even be chatting if he wasn't coming plus its not far from Mch.

RandyatBBY
12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I wish had the funds to travel that far. I will be supporting Will the best I can. sorry It hard for me to go to L.A. and that is only 8 hr. by car. Ken you guys came to our Nats. I wish could do the same. sorry just not in the cards.

sailr
12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey Randy, it's hard for me to drive the 3.5 hours from Tampa to Ft. Pierce so I can certainly see your point. I couldn't believe Ken drove to Colorado. That is dedication!!

obrien
12-15-2010, 08:49 PM
For those that haven't been to the Waveblasters lake, its great. There is alot of shade in the trees so it probably won't be too bad. especially since its near the coastline, and there will probably be a nice wind in the afternoon coming off the water.

bill34207
12-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Any thoughts as to what classes will be running and the days they will be running yet?

obrien
12-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Ken has told me that all classes will be available to run. As long as there are 3 boats in the class, it will be run. As of yet the schedule has not been determined.

bill34207
12-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Guess we need to build a fire under sailr to get his 1/8 hydro finished between now and then. :banana: Hebner should have his motor back in by then and hoping to get mine dialed a little better by then as well.

sailr
12-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Yep! Hopefully after my knee surgery I can get around the shop a little better! I decided not to do the 1973 Valu-Mart scheme. Too complex! Decided to change to the 1979 U-8 Dr. Toyota! Now have to get an Allison engine. I already built the Merlin for the Valu-Mart!

Anybody need a 1/8th Larry Kraemer Merlin Engine...already built and in primer?

obrien
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Bill, I am sure there will be more guys there with these boats as well. I believe there will be guys from all over the country coming.

I like that old Glastron Carlson in the second pick Jim. Except that it has the Evinrude stickers on it.

sailr
12-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Those ole Carlsons were pretty but pretty much a POS as I remember. Kinda the forerunner to the Bayliner (YUCK)

obrien
12-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Not even close. There is no comparison at all between a bayliner and a glastron, especially the carlson hulls.

BILL OXIDEAN
12-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Bayliner and Glastron made classic hydros?

obrien
12-17-2010, 07:07 AM
No, I was refering to the boat on the left hand side of the 2nd pic.

AlanN
12-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I cannot say at this time if I will be there but I am looking ahead to see it the stars will line up for me. A few good factors going for this event would be that it is in the same time zone I am used to. And travelling there wouldn't be too bad. Howard was thinking of driving and if I don't have the time to drive he could haul my stuff. So this might be my big travel event for the year.

Willie,
Get that LSH back in shape and maybe we can battle....just not in the morning warm up!!!

sailr
12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Back in the 80's, I was a boat dealer for a few years. Bought, refurbed and sold a lot of boats. I was never impressed with the glastrons although you are correct that were a step up from a Bayliner and the Carlson was probably their best. On the scale of Sea Ray, etc., they were down the pole quite a ways for me. I tried to only deal with higher end boats but got a couple of glastrons in trade.

Not even close. There is no comparison at all between a bayliner and a glastron, especially the carlson hulls.

mpg43
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I like that old Glastron Carlson in the second pick Jim. Except that it has the Evinrude stickers on it.

What stickers would you rather see on it?

obrien
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Mercury is the only way to go!

bill34207
01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I thought I saw a Yamaha hangin on the back of the one you had at highndry's house Sat.

sailr
01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Yammies!

obrien
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought I saw a Yamaha hangin on the back of the one you had at highndry's house Sat.

lol You did. Thats the motor that came with the boat. As soon as I am able to build a 3 liter merc, thats what will be hanging on the back. For now though, this engine runs fine, and I have other things that need to be done first.

mpg43
01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Mercury is the only way to go!

Mercury??? you mean the motor that is made by the same company that makes Bayliner???:rofl:

obrien
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
lol