PDA

View Full Version : battery wiring

morewattsnow
10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm running a 6s2p setup in a Sprint Cat with 4 5000 mah 3 cell batteries, 2 on either side of the boat. Each side is 3s 10,000 mah. I have 4 wires running across the boat, black to red, to tie the 2 sides together. Is it important to tie the wires from each battery together the way you would at the speed control, as per manufacturers instructions? Thanks- Mike

bwells
10-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I think I follow. You have already paralleled each side and the 4 wires are 2 from each side and now you want to series them. If so, a red from one side will connect to the black from the other side. The remaining 2 wires, black and red, will go to your esc and match the black and red. I wish I could draw a picture on the computer. Hope this is what you mean.

Gerwin Brommer
10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Single motor or twin ?

6S2P or 3S4P ?????????

morewattsnow
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
OK, let me try again. Two batteries on either side of boat. Left side 2 reds will go to the 2 reds on the Hydra 240 HV. Right side, 2 blacks will go to the 2 blacks on the ESC. So the 2 blacks from the left bank of batteries will go to the 2 reds from the right, connecting the packs. I know you have to combine the same color wires at the ESC, but do you have to do the same at the connections that go across the boat, making the 2 batteries on each side effectively 1 battery? Maybe tonite I'll post a photo- I'm getting a headache, too-LOL.

CornelP
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
This should be what you are looking for...

bwells
10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Cornel, that is what I was thinking but checking out the picture of a 240 on OSE, it appears to have 2 reds and 2 blacks, IE parallel done within. Mike did mention 2 reds and 2 blacks from the ESC and that threw me, but it appears he's right. It might make it easier to wire ( no 3- way connections) but I'll have think about it.

morewattsnow
10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
This should be what you are looking for...

Electrically that is the right diagram, but the physical reality is 4 wires running across the boat, 2 red on one side and 2 black on the other that connect to each other, red to black. So, is it important to connect them together so as to effectivly make 1 wire coming out of each pair of batteries?

785boats
10-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I think it would be best to bring the two reds & the two blacks of the cross connection to a common point.
I think I've also read somewhere that the pairs of leads going into the ESC are soldered onto different boards & that with parallel packs you need to common them up at the bullets too. Otherwise you can end up with different voltages on the boards if the packs discharge at different rates.
I'm not 100% sure on that but someone out there must be running the same setup that you are going to . They should know for sure.
All the best.
Paul.

CornelP
10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Paul is right. All manuals I've seen for this type of ESC did state the same. Your diagram now looks like this:

BHChieftain
10-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I think it would be best to bring the two reds & the two blacks of the cross connection to a common point.
I think I've also read somewhere that the pairs of leads going into the ESC are soldered onto different boards & that with parallel packs you need to common them up at the bullets too. Otherwise you can end up with different voltages on the boards if the packs discharge at different rates.
I'm not 100% sure on that but someone out there must be running the same setup that you are going to . They should know for sure.
All the best.
Paul.

Yes, the hydra 240 ESC manual is very clear that you should not run the ESC wires independenty to different batteries in //. Manual recommends soldering the 2 black ESC leads together then join to the battery.

See post #13 for a pic on how I did it based on researching this topic on OSE:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=13793&highlight=syncron

Chief