PDA

View Full Version : electric smart meters

bwells
10-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Currently, PG&E, (Pacific Gas and Electric) is installing Smart Meters on the homes of customers they serve, Northern California. I did a Google search and found that Wikipedia had the best explanation of how they work, which is truly a shame. It appears these are deployed worldwide and use some kind of communication to the home base but so far I am unclear as to how they do this. I have no problem paying the electricity bill but I do not think I should be charged for the time of day I use it. My question is, how does this smart meter communicate? It is not going to use my phone line!:help:

scullyeng
10-22-2010, 07:13 PM
They are linked to the main communication center via satellite.

bwells
10-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Is this link powered by electricity from my side of the meter or theirs? Either way, it seems like it maybe expensive for the power company even if they can get rid of meter readers.

Flying Scotsman
10-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Big Brother is watching you in more ways than you can think of, these devices are capable of reporting a lot of data about your daily activities

Douggie

bwells
10-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Watching me is one thing but regulating me crosses the line. These meters are all over, where is the response from someone that has them? Brownouts would be may first concern, have not thought about the second one.

befu
10-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Watching me is one thing but regulating me crosses the line. These meters are all over, where is the response from someone that has them? Brownouts would be may first concern, have not thought about the second one.

Brown out would not be a concern with these. If too much demand is placed on the power grid to start to cause a brown out, these meters are capable of limiting or shutting off your power to prevent that I think. If it is the meter I am thinking about, some have that capability.

That way they keep the grid from crashing and can supply power to the factories uninterupted. It is one thing not to be able to watch TV, it is another to shut down a plant and lose that big power draw, or $$$$.

drwayne
10-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Comms by Satellite , not probable. US airwaves already a minefield of clutter.. doubt your comms reg would allow more just for consumer applications.

In Au these communicate to the main control via the very power lines that feed you.
A high frequency on the same lines is grand.
We've also had discussion re broadband via power line feeds.. anywhere you are in the country, if you've mains power, you can get broadband.
Not in application, but is under consultation.