PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Restoration - GoodWill Find!!

Darin Jordan
10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
My 11-yo son has outgrown his 20" BMX style bike, and was ready for something new. We were leaving Sunday morning breakfast a few weeks ago and decided to stop in at the GoodWill... I found THIS bike sitting there, all dirty and with a broken shifter cable, for $60.00!

FATHER/SON project opportunity!

We brought it home, tore it COMPLETELY apart, I inventoried what it needed, and then I put him on the task of cleaning it all up. Ritchie Comp wheels, Shimano Rapid-Fire Shifters, Dia-Comp Brakes, Rock-Shox Judy Indy XC fork... SWEET!

New:
Bottom Bracket ($23.00 NOS from L.B.S. (local bike shop))
Cassette ($30.00 ordered from PricePoint)
Tires ($19.95 each on sale, ordered from PricePoint)
Cables ($19.00 from REI)
Seat ($15.00 take off new seat from LBS)
Grips ($10.00 from PricePoint)
Pedals ($25.00 on closeout from NashBar... regularly $70.00)

Everything else was just cleaned up and reconditioned.

Pedals are the coolest things EVER! BIKE is a DREAM to ride! He's TOTALLY PUMPED and now has an idea of what it takes to maintain/build a bike! WIN-WIN!!

Now I need to find a deal like this for my daughter!

Simon.O.
10-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Well done there Darin. It is nice to see that Dad's like you spend time to share and develop skills with your son and like you said he wil have an appreciation of what goes into the bike.
That bike has way more value to him than a new one out of the box from the bike shop.

Nice work stand too :thumbup1:

Rumdog
10-24-2010, 07:50 PM
No such thing as outgrowing a 20" BMX bike.

bwells
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Rumdog, I gotta ask. What is your Avater a picture of, a shoulder and arm setting a boat in the water or a shot from the space station? Thanks

Rumdog
10-24-2010, 08:09 PM
LOL. My legs, and feet in a snowboard. On some springtime snow.

Very cool bike though Darin, and good job on the refurb.