PDA

View Full Version : EP 1 motor upgrade

Eodman
11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
I would like to upgrade the motors on my MM! It has two EP1's hung off it, which are 27 turn 550 motors. In everybody's opinion(oh Boy) what is the lowest(highest) turn that I can safely go with!

I'm currently using a traxxas EVX2 marine esc which is has a rated current of 180 amps and continous current rating off 30amps!

Traxxas claims an upgrade of up to 12 turns can be handled with high current connectors! May I assume(oh boy) that deans connectors are high current connectors?

If so what is good motor upgrade without spending a bunch of money????

Darin Jordan
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
You don't necessarily want to go with the "lowest" turn motor you can handle... That'll give you RPMs at the expense of Torque...

I think you'd be suprised at how a pair of 19-Turn motors would perform..... GOBS of torque, and good RPM...

I wouldn't recommend you go any lower than a pair of 15-turns... I'd look at the two 19-Turns or maybe a couple of 17-Turns... The two 19-Turns would be pretty cost effective...

I upgraded my ProFisherman EP-1 setup with a 19-Turn and it was a blast...

Eodman
11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Next question whats faster 17turn, 17double wound, triple wound also what brand????

Darin Jordan
11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
I consulted my Brushed motor expert (www.aggressiverctech.com), and Ted told me this:

A single spools up quick, low rpm, for short tracks with lots of corners. Singles have a ton of immediate punch, then go flat.

A triple spools up slower and have more rpm.

A double is a compromise between the two.

Singles get hotter quicker....draw more juice, harder on speed controls, eat brushes, etc....

Triples and quads run cooler and easier on brushes, speed controls, etc.

The more winds tend to act like a compressor in terms of current draw. They are allot smoother.

Never buy a 7,8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 single for a boat. They will wind out in about 50 feet.

27 turn and 19 turn are the exceptions by design and class.

Hopefully that helps...

SJFE
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for that brake down Darin. Would you mine if I program that intothe chatroom AI?

Fluid
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
I think that Darin's suggestion of 19 turns is a good one. Your ESC will probably not handle two motors of lower turns without overheating. How are the motors wired - in series or parallel? How many and what kind of cells? Will you get mod motors or spec motors?

I raced 05 car motors in boats for almost 15 years, and in a boat there is very little difference between a single and a quad wind mod motor. What works in a car and in a boat are often two different things. The number of turns and the quality of the armature makes much more difference than the number of strands of wire. I usually ran doubles or triples and won a lot of races with them. The ROAR and spec 05 motors are forced to run a single strand, and they work okay too.

Ocean Racer
11-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a 19X2 orion modified motor in my car and havent had the chance to test it in my boat but i get around 20-25 mph on a 6 cell 1500 mah its 20 bucks at hobby people.