PDA

View Full Version : lipos in a fire safe.......

don ferrette
10-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Since I'm in the process of buying my lipos for my new FE projects a thought crossed my mind regarding storage.....

I know about charging sacks, storage charging and such but I was wondering about keeping the packs themselves in one of those "fire safes" you see out there for protection of important documents from house fires. They are relatively reasonable in price and available everywhere in what I would call "user friendly" sizes. Between my nitro for my IC boats and all the painting stuff in my shop there's plenty of "combustionable" stuff out there already. Here's my thought..... what about using the safe for storing batteries inside so if something should go bad the safe could keep the fire in? Or would there be a potential problem from heat/pressure build up inside the safe should a pack actually "light off"??

While it might be a dumb question I'm one who spends alot of time thinking "outside the box". :confused2:

tborisch
10-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Since I'm in the process of buying my lipos for my new FE projects a thought crossed my mind regarding storage.....

I know about charging sacks, storage charging and such but I was wondering about keeping the packs themselves in one of those "fire safes" you see out there for protection of important documents from house fires. They are relatively reasonable in price and available everywhere in what I would call "user friendly" sizes. Between my nitro for my IC boats and all the painting stuff in my shop there's plenty of "combustionable" stuff out there already. Here's my thought..... what about using the safe for storing batteries inside so if something should go bad the safe could keep the fire in? Or would there be a potential problem from heat/pressure build up inside the safe should a pack actually "light off"??

While it might be a dumb question I'm one who spends alot of time thinking "outside the box". :confused2:

Hey Don, those Sentry fire safes are not air tight at all, so you would have plenty of "venting" for the smoke if something happened. And unless your looking to store like 10 8s packs in the safe, i can't imagine the fire getting out of one of those safes... Should be GREAT for storage..

Tom

eboat
10-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I have been using a fire safe to keep mine in for the last 2 years :)

kookie_guy
10-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I store mine in a fire safe in my basement.

FighterCat57
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Fire safe is a good idea. Better than a bookshelf. =)

Also, ammo boxes are good. Designed to contain explosions and some are air tight. Plenty available at surplus stores or flea-bay. Might not go over with the wife as well as a nice looking fire safe though.

kookie_guy
10-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Might not go over with the wife as well as a nice looking fire safe though.

LOL! That was one of the conditions my wife set before I could get lipos. lol

GP73
10-18-2010, 04:33 PM
As far as I know those fire safes are built to contain fire from the outside, but not the other way around... :confused:

HOTWATER
10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey Don!

I also use an ammo box...great when going to the races! Just put all of your packs in there pretty much worry free! I also put my lipos in a lipo bag and then put them in the ammo box. If you buy one, make sure it's got a nice seal on it...

-Kent

BHChieftain
10-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Fire safe is a good idea. Better than a bookshelf. =)

Also, ammo boxes are good. Designed to contain explosions and some are air tight. Plenty available at surplus stores or flea-bay. Might not go over with the wife as well as a nice looking fire safe though.

One thing to watch out for on the ammo boox is they are airtight. I use an ammo box, but I removed the rubber gasket that seals the lid to help the pressure vent in case one goes up...

Or you could also drill some holes in it...

Chief

pescador
02-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I came across these one shot automatic dry chemical extinguishers they sell for grow-ops.
$45 for a 2kg that covers a 4 foot area, I'm thinking of hanging it over my charging station and ammo box in the garage for some cheap peace of mind.
It's ABC dry chemical, think it would put out a flaming lipo?

STjMZz8gxbA

tiqueman
02-12-2011, 09:44 PM
When mine arent laying around on shelves in the hobby room, theyre in the grill :laugh:

Alexgar
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
thats a great idea i have one the key broke off in and i just found a use for it

Skipster
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
theyre in the grill

I use a grill as a charge station
might not contain the fire but better than
the picnic table I work on