PDA

View Full Version : Are 20c 8000mah packs hard on the ESC?

OshkoshMono
10-18-2010, 12:22 AM
I was talking to the guys at Castle/Neu and they were saying I shouldn't use these 2 SMC 3s 8000 mah lipos I have (just bought, haven't used yet) because they would be hard on my esc do to the draw from the motor. Hee said I wana use atleast a 30c pack. This is for a 34" mono running a Neu 1521 1050 kv motor on 6s. I suppose it just depends on the draw?

chuff
10-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I was talking to the guys at Castle/Neu and they were saying I shouldn't use these 2 SMC 3s 8000 mah lipos I have (just bought, haven't used yet) because they would be hard on my esc do to the draw from the motor. Hee said I wana use atleast a 30c pack. This is for a 34" mono running a Neu 1521 1050 kv motor on 6s. I suppose it just depends on the draw?

If they are 20C packs they "should" be safe to 20 x 8 amps ie 160 amps (in series ). If your boat set-up (hull, prop, motor, running wet or flighty) draws well under that and your ESC is rated well over that, then I cannot really see what the concern is. If your ESC is rated under 160 amps then be cautious. Remember something will always be the first to go if you over-stress the system. It could be motor, or battery, or ESC, or plugs, or your soldering, whichever is the weakest link.

Chris

Fluid
10-18-2010, 07:25 AM
The problem is not really the rating of the ESC, but inadequate power supplied under load. The packs in question should supply 160 amps continuous, the operative word is should. In reality many of the lower end packs do not meet what the sticker says. The OP's setup is capable of pulling well over 200 amps on acceleration, and if the cells can't supply the voltage due to voltage depression then the ESC caps will try to make up the difference that the motor demands. Eventually they will overheat and the ESC kabooms.

Cheap packs do not belong on high power setups. Some boaters get away with them for awhile, but eventually you will run too large of a prop and the ESC will let go. It's you choice, but don't come crying to the board if the ESC burns up.

OshkoshMono
10-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a good enough answer to me! Heck with the 20c packs. Oh well, i can always use those in my slash 2wd or 4wd. Glad I didn't get around to trying them in the boat. When i ordered them I figure, oh well, just a little less zip out of the boat, but long run times...guess not. NOT worth the risk. I really don't wana buy another swordfish 240 anytime soon! Thanks guys!

sailr
10-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Interesting! Never thought of what Fluid said. Makes good sense!