PDA

View Full Version : 2 Batts, 2 ESCs, 1 reciever

ScarabChris
10-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Setting up a twin electric boat. I have two batteries, two ESCs and one receiver. I planned to use a servo splitter so I can control both motors simultaneously.

I am powering the receiver with the ESCs. My concern is this. Will combining both ESCs with the splitter double the input voltage to the receiver and fry it?

sailr
10-14-2010, 10:00 AM
In a word, YES! I would highly recommend disabling the BEC's in both ESC's and adding an onboard battery for the receiver/servo. As an alternative, on twin motor setups in airplanes, the BEC of ONE of the esc's is disabled when using a Y connector to the throttle channel of the receiver. Only ONE BEC is needed to run the receiver and servo.

JMSCARD
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
YES I agree 100% with what sailr said... just disable both bec's and run a rxr pack.... you will have alot less heartache......

eboat
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Would not just pulling the red wire out of the plug that goes to one reciever work ?
It would be alot easier in his light duty scale boat he is building

FighterCat57
10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Would not just pulling the red wire out of the plug that goes to one reciever work ?
It would be alot easier in his light duty scale boat he is building

Red wire from ESC A cannot touch red wire from ESC B. So red wire needs to be disconnected on either A or B on the ESC or Y splitter before the join.

ScarabChris
10-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Ok that was my question. So just cut the red wire going to the receiver from one of the ESCs?

These are the ESCs I'm using. They have a built in switch also.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-prb2314

eboat
10-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Red wire from ESC A cannot touch red wire from ESC B. So red wire needs to be disconnected on either A or B on the ESC or Y splitter before the join.

That is what I said take the red wire out that goes to one ESC

ScarabChris
10-14-2010, 11:41 AM
These ESCs have brown-red-orange wires. So take out the red (center) of one of the ESCs?

FighterCat57
10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
These ESCs have brown-red-orange wires. So take out the red (center) of one of the ESCs?
Yep. Center Red of one ESC.

ScarabChris
10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Perfect, thanks guys! I didn't want to have to carry another battery in the boat.

Making progress on the build, check for updates in the boat building thread within the next day or so.