PDA

View Full Version : MG Vid In rough water

POWERS
10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Just got done putting some new paint on my MG, got her put back together and took her out for a test run to make sure I put her back together right.

Had my digital camera on me so I took a little video, not the best quality but you get the idea. I know most the time everyone is looking for smooth water, and trying to get the fastest speed. But I had a lot of fun in the rough water trying to push her to her limit with out flipping her, which I did do twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbdH-b-Nhrs

Boomer
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Like to see a still picture of your paint work! I think your video provides some good evidence of how well this boat does in rough water conditions.:thumbup1:

I guess you could entitle your video "leaping lizard" :laugh:

Boomer

POWERS
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Like to see a still picture of your paint work! I think your video provides some good evidence of how well this boat does in rough water conditions.:thumbup1:

I guess you could entitle your video "leaping lizard" :laugh:

Boomer

Here's a quick shot of the boat in the process of being painted. This is my first boat, so its my first ever repaint. It is a blast to drive in rough water, it looks like a real offshore boat.

http://vinoflorida.com/misc/mgred.jpg

POWERS
10-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Powers what's your setup strut hight batteries loc. Etc pls

I'm new to this so its pretty basic. Two 5000mah 7.2v Nimhs sitting pretty center on the trays since they are heavy. I lowered the strut down to be even. And i'm running the octura x642 prop.

I just got a Hyperion lipo charger/balancer and a lipo for my stampede. Hopefully ill be getting a couple lipos for the boat soon.

Boomer
10-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Pretty hot! What did you use to paint it? Looks pretty nice! I have an extra MG hull and I am just about through with my prepaint prep. I just got a very nice airbrush and detail spray gun for this purpose, and hoping to be able to produce professional results.

I have some buddies that have produced some super results with spray can paint. It seems a good deal of the success is due to good prep work.

Any way, nice job. Are you going to add any more to it? Racing stuff etc? Thank you.
Boomer

POWERS
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Pretty hot! What did you use to paint it? Looks pretty nice! I have an extra MG hull and I am just about through with my prepaint prep. I just got a very nice airbrush and detail spray gun for this purpose, and hoping to be able to produce professional results.

I have some buddies that have produced some super results with spray can paint. It seems a good deal of the success is due to good prep work.

Any way, nice job. Are you going to add any more to it? Racing stuff etc? Thank you.
Boomer

As stated before this was my first paint job so I made A LOT of mistakes. I was able to fix some, and sort of fix others. I'm tossing around the idea of ordering another hull and doing it over learning from my mistakes.

I used duplicolor metal flake paint. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalSpecks/ Picked it up at my local auto shop for around $10 a can, only took one can. In the sun it really pops.

As for the future I am gonna ad some vinyl graphics to brand her with my company. Then its time to make her faster, first stop going lipo!

Boomer
10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Have an extra hull if you are interested shoot me a pm
Boomer

jac4412
10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Ballsy running in that water... sweet paint job!

onegreenray
10-13-2010, 12:18 AM
i agree i don't have the nerve to tack in the ocean. salt water kills electronics. ..lol.

looks sweet .

POWERS
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't run it in the salt often. When i Do i flush it out immediately and use a product we use on our big boat called salt away to clean it off then spray on some protection with another product, and so far its been great no rust. I also use A LOT of tape around the hatch.

jac4412
10-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Well its not only that... in those swells youre asking to flip the boat... then your boat really gets a salt bath.... BUT the boat clearly shows how stable it is, awesome run! Just not something I have the guts to do... On my lake the most waves I get when I run is from a passing boat.

I've run a boat in salt water once... Used DI water to clean it out.

POWERS
10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I do worry about flipping it and in fact have flipped it a couple times in the salt. But this boat has been extremely water tight, I use enough clear electrical tape on the lid that the Tupperware-like lid underneath stays dry.

It's probably a matter of time before some salt does get in, but then hey, I've got an excuse to give my lady that since i'm replacing the part i might as well upgrade while i'm at it.

onegreenray
10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
good call, we always need an excuse to upgrade:laugh:

Brushless55
10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Wow, that color really brings out the lines of this hull! :tongue_smilie: