PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy 32-34 inch cat hull

Team Jericho
10-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I trashed my EKOS today in a crash at 50 mph into the rear of my brother's UL-1which was more like a ski jump...should have had that on video...several flips 3-4 ft in the air, this is the 3rd race crash of the season soooo... I have Feigao 9XLs, wire drives, 120 Amp Swordfish ECS, running on twin 5800 4Ss and 2,4 Ghz receiver which I would like to all drop into a new 32-43 inch hull. If I get a different hull altogether I may have a bag full of brand new Venom parts for sale in that case...Thanks guys! :help:

FighterCat57
10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I have one for sale; http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=18641

It's basically the same size as the EKOS.

FighterCat57
10-11-2010, 09:45 PM
and... it comes with a cool new decal.

Skullcracken
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I trashed my EKOS today in a crash at 50 mph into the rear of my brother's UL-1which was more like a ski jump...should have had that on video...several flips 3-4 ft in the air, this is the 3rd race crash of the season soooo... I have Feigao 9XLs, wire drives, 120 Amp Swordfish ECS, running on twin 5800 4Ss and 2,4 Ghz receiver which I would like to all drop into a new 32-43 inch hull. If I get a different hull altogether I may have a bag full of brand new Venom parts for sale in that case...Thanks guys! :help:

Kintec racing has a plain white hull clear coated similar to the EKOS. $125. What KV are those Feigao's. I have Feigao 9XL's that are 2600kv. I don't know if they can handle 4s. Too high RPM? Also are those batteries hard to fit in the EKOS? 4s 5800's are big right?

FighterCat57
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Kintec racing has a plain white hull clear coated similar to the EKOS. $125. What KV are those Feigao's. I have Feigao 9XL's that are 2600kv. I don't know if they can handle 4s. Too high RPM? Also are those batteries hard to fit in the EKOS? 4s 5800's are big right?

That's the same hull I offered. He wanted something pre-built and custom painted.

Team Jericho
10-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. I run the 9XLs on 4S each and have no problems with heat whatsoever. I use the engine mounts, ESCs, and motor jacket cooling. Then again I am running the Venom 36 mm machined props and not anything like the x442s...which was going to be my next stage in terms of speed until the crash! The 5800 4Ss do fit, but you have to take out the battery tray completely, use a dremmel to sand it down nice and smooth and use Velcro to fixate Lipos. Ideally I am trying to find/buy a 32 inch hull with the engine mounts and shaft tubes, rudder , already built in, better yet laminated. The paint is not that important as I got a guy here in Ottawa who can do a good custom job.

Boomer
10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Peter,
First, I am sorry about the crash and the demise of your EKOS hull! But on the brighter side, you could look at as an opportunity to be a transplant donor! This is only a thought, and I am would be guessing, but the running gear you have, might just be right to put in a Genesis. There is quite a bit of buzz going around on making this beautiful boat a twin.
Check out this thread on RCGroups on a dual motor Genesis that a fellow has put together, and it runs like the wind and it is as stable as a bullet train. 74 mph, as I recall. I have attached pictures two of the twin Genesis I have seen threads on. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302596&page=3

I have a new Genesis and it is screaming to have twins. If you were to buy a Genesis, you could sell the factory motor and running gear to off set the price.
If you are interested, Hobby King had a few in stock a day or so ago. Mine was $260 USD landed in California. When I get more experience, I hope to convert it to a twin.

Any way it is just a though. As fast as you are going, and want to go, this hull offers a lot of potential as twin, or with a "big block" single brushless. I know they are getting 60+ with a single. The boat is super stable and turns with the best of them, but as a twin, holy moly, it is amazing!
Food for thought any way. We could even chat about your EKOS running gear. My EKOS is still stock, and I had planned on upgrading at some point.
Boomer

scullyeng
10-26-2010, 09:06 PM
The second and third pictures with twins is not a genesis hull, its an MHZ carbon hull.

Boomer
10-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Scully
To the untrainned eye, they look alike. The thread on the rcgroups.com forum I listed, gives the details on the converted Genesis. I saw the other boat on a gallery posting on OSE, copied the photos, as it looked very sharp! I am seeing a lot guys bonding a carbon fiber looking fabric inside their boats. In some cases, where the work has been done well, it can be hard to tell the difference, at least in the photos.
I deleted the non Genesis for clarity's sake. Thank you.

I really enjoy these forums, and continue to learn from those longer in the tooth in the RC world than I. The guys down under sure look like they have their stuff together! :thumbup1:

My point is still the same. The Genesis appears to be a very good candidate for a transplant.

Boomer

Team Jericho
10-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the infos and tip Boomer. I have seen the Genesis on the HK website some time ago. Its s purdy looking boat and well priced too. I would be dumping $700 on the Joseph Toth 34 incher, without motors and electronics, nor props.

kevink
10-27-2010, 10:50 AM
I have a bare King of Shaves hull after one of the motor mounts unscrewed from the base. No damage or cracks; however, it is a bare hull with all mounts, trays, and tubes removed. If you want it, I would take $145 shipped to Con US. I will include the motor mounts, the stingers, servo mount, stand, rudder, linkage, stock props. I don't have the flex shafts or stuffing tubes, or battery tray as they were damaged when the mount broke loose. I can send pics when I get home.

Team Jericho
10-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Interesting...are the motor mounts completely removed? I mean they are normally stock laminated into the hull.... I would only need maybe the stingers, the rest I have duplicates of. Can you send or post me a few good pics please, inside and out? Cheers mate.

kevink
10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
The mounts have been removed in order to locktite the mount to the base. From the factory, the screws that held the base to the mounts were not locktited. I will send pics as soon as I return home.

kevink
10-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Here are some pics of the boat. No cracks in the hull but some minor scuffs to the gelcoat.

Team Jericho
10-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Ok thanks, will think about it :) Not sure yet if I want to stay in EKOSLAND or try a different set-up altogether. Will let you know.

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Bare hull's are $160 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXSM5&P=7

Team Jericho
10-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks mate. Do you know if the hole is drilled on the deck for the antenna? I am hoping to have a clean hull with no antenna and MG 2.4 receiver next time around.

How do you like your MG? Is this race quality and ride or a purdy boat? :)

Diesel6401
10-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks mate. Do you know if the hole is drilled on the deck for the antenna? I am hoping to have a clean hull with no antenna and MG 2.4 receiver next time around.

How do you like your MG? Is this race quality and ride or a purdy boat? :)

I love my MG. Amazing boat and build. The MG rx will not work for what you want. The spektrum rx's have antenna's and need them to be outside the hull in the air. If you want a rx without any antenna you need to get a Tactic radio systems. Anyboat I don't want antennas sticking out I use a Tactic system (i.e my H&M mono, ul-1 sv27 use tactic's)

To answer your question I am not sure. For a video of my MG click the MG name in my signature for a video. All underlined names in my signature are videos. I installed the PB 1800kv motor from the Stileto into my MG and it works AWESOME!

Team Jericho
10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks, actually just bought a new Tactic, ready in the box for my next boat! Great Video!

Boomer
10-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Peter
I have both. Obviously, I like them both, or I wouldn't have them both. They are very different in design. A quick response is, I like the handling of the MG over that of the EKOS, and over the course of it's first few months on the market it has been very well received. The guys out there have come up with some tweaks and refinements as you would expect and they are running them in the high 50s and low 60s from what I am seeing on the forums. Given a little more time under our belts I am sure we'll see higher speed yet.
The fastest EKOS I have read about is Bill O's who just reported over 70mph on his rocket.

To me racing denotes going around a course, and not just flat our bursts. So, thus far, it would be a close race for an EKOS and MG matched in speed. I'd give the edge to the MG at this point. Time will tell. :olleyes:

I am not an experienced FE racer, so my sense of these boats comes only from running my boats the around the lake, trying to get them dialed in and from reading and watching the differenct boat of Youtube videos.

I am sure you will get more informated responses than mine, I will be reading them with interest too.

I have a Genesis too, and think in time it could a better overall boat than either of these. Bigger boat, little less beam, but good bones!:thumbup1:
Boomer

Boomer
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Ops dupicated the message

Boomer
10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
This is posted on their web site, you are always on the money buddy!
DX3S 3-Channel DSM Surface Radio with Telemetry
Bulletins
Attention DX3S Owners
Thursday, June 18, 2009

New DX3S systems (SPM3140) are now compatible with DSM2 surface receivers and the Marine receiver (SPMMR3000), in addition to DSM surface receivers. The SPM3140 transmitter features the below logo on the back.

If you own an earlier DX3S system (SPM3130) and would like it upgraded with the new technology, please contact the Spektrum Service center. The upgrade costs $50 plus shipping and the turn around time is approximately 3-5 weeks.

For US customers, please contact:
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
webmaster@horizonhobby