PDA

View Full Version : Why is this new Lipo battery not recharging?

JCAustralia
10-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi guys

I bought 4 lipo batteries from Hobbyking and I have a problem charging one of them new from the box. Red lights are flashing in the charger indicating a problem..... :help:

From the factory the "faulty" battery has some charge when I benchtop my boat.

I am using a simple budget charger that just tells me when the batteries are charged with a green light (red if they are charging) If there is a problem with the battery the red light flashes and is happening now.

My battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14678&Product_Name=Turnigy_4000mAh_2S_40C_Lipo_Pack_<BR>(AUS_Warehouse)

My charger
I am using a simple budget charger that just tells me when the batteries are charged with a green light (red if they are charging) If there is a problem with the battery the red light flashes. The charger does not tell me the charge of each battery

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8247&Product_Name=Turnigy_2S_3S_Balance_Charger._Direct _110/240v_Input

Any opinions about what the problem is? Could it be the wire of the charge lead are not soldered properly to the battery? Could it be a battery is undercharged?....:confused1::help:

I might send back the battery to HK but the shipping is like $13 and the battery cost about $23. I'd rather fix/repair the battery if it is feasible.

Thanks a lot.

JC

Brushlessracev
10-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi guys

I bought 4 lipo batteries from Hobbyking and I have a problem charging one of them new from the box. Red lights are flashing in the charger indicating a problem..... :help:

From the factory the "faulty" battery has some charge when I benchtop my boat.

I am using a simple budget charger that just tells me when the batteries are charged with a green light (red if they are charging) If there is a problem with the battery the red light flashes and is happening now.

My battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14678&Product_Name=Turnigy_4000mAh_2S_40C_Lipo_Pack_<BR>(AUS_Warehouse)

My charger
I am using a simple budget charger that just tells me when the batteries are charged with a green light (red if they are charging) If there is a problem with the battery the red light flashes. The charger does not tell me the charge of each battery

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8247&Product_Name=Turnigy_2S_3S_Balance_Charger._Direct _110/240v_Input

Any opinions about what the problem is? Could it be the wire of the charge lead are not soldered properly to the battery? Could it be a battery is undercharged?....:confused1::help:

I might send back the battery to HK but the shipping is like $13 and the battery cost about $23. I'd rather fix/repair the battery if it is feasible.

Thanks a lot.

JC

If you have a digital volt meter you can check the cell voltages via the balance plug. should be at around 3.6v a cell and have about the same voltage if not try charging the one cell that is lowest at 1.0 amp through the balance plug. to match the cell voltages. then try charging normal.

Alfa Spirit
10-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Try to charge your battery without balance conector during 10 minutes, and try again with balance conector plugged

GP73
10-11-2010, 01:41 AM
That charger looks like an accident waiting to happen... :eek:

JCAustralia
10-11-2010, 01:51 AM
I bought 4 batteries and 3 of them can be recharged by the charger nicely. Had a few runs with my boat with a pair of them and they were barely warm after a few minutes......

Its only the fourth battery that is causing me a problem. There are some voltage in the battery (during the benchtest) test but the charger 'thinks' that there is a problem with the battery and does not recharge the battery.

Unfortunately I don't have any other charger with more features at the moment (where I can for example check the voltage, etc).....

Lesson learnt: I should get an advanced one with few features.....:o

At this stage I'm thinking of disassembling the battery to have a look at the connections/soldering.

Is that dangerous? Has anybody had this type of issue with the HK batteries or any other barnd?

I don't have much options ......

Thanks a lot.

JC

JC

Alfa Spirit
10-11-2010, 02:13 AM
A very good charger isn' t expensive I bought a SKYRC Imax B8 with aluminium case via Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/iMax-B8-LCD-Lipo-NiMH-battery-Balance-Charger-AL-Case-/110459952880?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19b7ed1ef0

JCAustralia
10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Salut Alfa Spirit

I found this one on Ebay. Same brand but lower spec and cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/imax-B6-2-6-cells-Lipo-Balance-RC-Akku-Battery-Charger-/150504804649?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230ac91129

Would you recommend it? Has anybody bought that one?

Just trying to save some $$$ and learning about the wonderful world of Lipos....

Thanks

JC

BHChieftain
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
You might find some useful info in this thread

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=15943

Chief

cybercrxt
10-11-2010, 07:42 PM
It aint your charger, its turnigy and zippy batteries. About 3 months ago, it seems something changed, and the quality took a dump. I received bad packs and many others have too. My suggestion, do what I did, and stop buying them. Get hyperions, thunderpowers or polyquest packs and rid yourself of the headache that comes along with cheap packs! Mike

JCAustralia
10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes

I am thinking that its the battery that ahs an issue. I am sending it back to HK today. Will also be sending back a 500 Turniguys Typhoon motor that's not working :cursing:

Will take the risk spending on the shipping cost. Let's see what's their customer service like....... Will keep you updated.

Now I'm in the market for a reasonable charger and the Imax B6 seems to be a good deal. Anybody have experience with them?

Thanks

JC

Fluid
10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
It aint your charger, its turnigy and zippy batteries.

Don't be so certain. If you bother to read the reviews, quite a few new owners had major problems with this particular charger. You get what you pay for.

"It worked fine for the first week or 2 after that it only charges 2 cell packs."

"Worked wery well during 10 first charges with hxt460mAh 2s lipo. Now one led lights still red when no battery is plugged and doesn't seems to turn green after a charge. I hesitate to use it now..."

"I got this charger, worked once, after that it will overcharge and destroy the battery, don't buy this charger, try something else."

"After only a few charge cycles the lights always show green and is actually discharging the battery,not so good."

"Just Got this piece of crap and it smoked one 3S 900Mah lipo (swollen + some fire) and does not charge anymore (Yes I tried another lipo). It could have burned my house, this thing is absolutely not safe (see other reviews with the same happening)."

"Unfortunately my charger failed after 10-20 charging cycles. When I connect 3s battery one led goes off. After re-connecting the battery it lights all three leds red. But it's not charging completely. After opening the case I found one IC cracked and burnt."

You get the idea.....