PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion lipos 35c vs 45c

David Kingston
10-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Folks.

Just wondering since hyperion is not going to make the 35c 5500s or 6500s in the near future, what is the difference going to 45c?

Im mainly looking at the 6s packs.
Being a split pack in the 45c. Where are the 5500s 35c were not.

IS there a difference in performance. Im going to be looking at getting some more cells soon. Ive been running the 35c pack for 18months now and they rock, but is the 45c pack a superior battery?

Look fwd to your answers

Regards
Dave

kookie_guy
10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
if you can afford em, get the highest C rating you can, for a couple of reasons...

1) You can go to a high draw setup with no issues to the batteries, they will be able to take it.

2) With a higher C rating, it just means that your batteries will run that much cooler.

Just don't run the 35C and 45C together.

AlanN
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
The only reason to go to 45C would be if your setups require it. i.e. you are pulling more amps. If the 35C cells work for what you are running. There is no need to buy more expensive cells. You will not see a difference in performance between the 35 to 45C cells. Lipo cells are meant to run with some warmth to them. 100-110F are normal operating temperatures.

sailr
10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Not quite sure what you are saying about 35C 5500's not being available but 45C's are? I am a hyperion dealer. 35C 5400's are available but in 45C, 5000's are the highest mah available. Lipos 5500mah or larger can no longer be shipped. New laws. This happened several months ago.

If you have found some 5500's, they are old stock. Be careful.

I offer the best prices anywhere for Hyperions to fellow members here on OSE. Let me know if you need batteries.

Fluid
10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Actually you might see a difference between some 35C and 45C packs. I datalogged a 4S/35C packs (not Hyperion) and it showed a distressing amount of voltage depression at just 110 amps - about 2.5 volts which is more like an older 20C pack I logged. I do not know if this pack was actually 35C, or was just stickered as a 35C pack.

I'd have to log more packs of different makers to find out with any certainty, but just because a pack says 35C or 45C doesn't mean it really is. The only Hyperions I've used are the G3 45C packs, and they perform very well in my high amp draw setups.

AlanN
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Actually you might see a difference between some 35C and 45C packs. I datalogged a 4S/35C packs (not Hyperion) and it showed a distressing amount of voltage depression at just 110 amps - about 2.5 volts which is more like an older 20C pack I logged. I do not know if this pack was actually 35C, or was just stickered as a 35C pack.

I'd have to log more packs of different makers to find out with any certainty, but just because a pack says 35C or 45C doesn't mean it really is. The only Hyperions I've used are the G3 45C packs, and they perform very well in my high amp draw setups.

That is interesting. What brand or make were you checking?

7500RPM
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM

What is very interesting is if you have a matched set of Nimh batteries, they sometimes perform better than some Lipo's..BUT at the cost of weight!

Jay, it would be an interesting project to develop a electronic load box for testing batteries under the same switching rates as a Brushless speed control and log the performance of the battery, that way the test is repeatable.
I might have to explore that type of testing, gone is the linear testing that use to be done...

Fluid
10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
That is interesting. What brand or make were you checking?

I'd rather not say the brand because my testing was so limited and the results may not be typical for all packs of that brand. It would not be fair to any company under these circumstances. It was not a Chinese brand though. I did not cut the pack open to see when the cells were manufactured.

7500RPM
10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I'd rather not say the brand because my testing was so limited and the results may not be typical for all packs of that brand. It would not be fair to any company under these circumstances. It was not a Chinese brand though. I did not cut the pack open to see when the cells were manufactured.

They were some matched packs from the USA, tested in identical boats, motors, speedcontrols, props, and racing against each other, These Nimh were alot faster, and the Lipo's were rated at 40C.... even did a linear load test at 40amps and the Nimh's were better in voltage over the entire discharge curve...

Which brings up another point, about the paralleling of Lipo battery packs to keep the voltage from sagging, better current output.

tharmer
10-08-2010, 01:22 PM
What's the question 7500?

Raydee
10-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Has anyone else experienced lower run times with the Higher C packs like I have? For example when I went from 25c to 35c my boats had more power but the run times dropped. I also noticed that in my helicopters as well. When I contacted one of the Lipo manufacturers they basically told me to think of the C rating like a fire hose. The higher the C rating the larger the hose diameter. Like a fire hose the larger the diameter of the hose, the more water it can put out at a faster rate. In some of my Heli's that aren't really pulling lots of amps I actually went back down to 25c cells to gain a little more flight time.

Fluid
10-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Has anyone else experienced lower run times with the Higher C packs like I have? For example when I went from 25c to 35c my boats had more power but the run times dropped....

Ever think about it? You have the same pack capacity but you are pulling more amps due to lower pack resistance, that's why your boat/heli is faster. Same capacity + higher amp draw = shorter run times. There is no free lunch....

Raydee
10-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I guess the only times I think you really need more than 30c are if you are running SAW's or 1p setups in boats that are pulling higher amps.

Fluid
10-10-2010, 08:52 AM
The big problem is that some (many) current packs are over-rated. Is it really 30C, or is it last year's 20C pack re-labeled.

For "spec" setups a true 30C is enough, but not for high amp draw setups. Even running 2P, 30C packs can have large voltage depression at higher amp draws and get hot. I noticed a large difference going from 30C to 45C packs in a 4S2P/10000 mAh mono - cooler packs and a faster boat by 4 mph.

Another reason for going with higher capacity packs is the ESC. One reason so many folks burn up ESCs is trying to get by with cheap packs. If the packs cannot supply the voltage the ESC demands, the ESC will overheat quickly. After datalogging different packs I am surprised at the voltage depression and voltage ripple I see even with 35C packs. Running 1P setups with high amp draw motors is just asking to burn down a controller. We might have gotten away with 6500/7000 mAh cells, but that's history now...