PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas Slash 4x4 Question

domp444
10-07-2010, 09:10 PM
So right now I'm running a stock slash, with a 2s lipo in it. It goes fast, but I am wondering how I can get it to the fastest. I am getting a 3s lipo, and I want to get the 19 pinion. Will the Zippy 5000mah 20C 3s lipo do good? And also, the manual says the 19 pinion is for high speed runs only. What does this mean? Is it just saying that it's gonna go fast or that I can only use it for a short time doing fast runs?

nomobux
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I think they're concerned about heat build up with that pinion. I run the stock motor and a max-pro esc on 2s and that's good enough for me. Guys seem to start tearing things up on 3s. I don't need the aggravation. My only other mod is the big bearing motor plate and the alum cone in the slipper. Dought I'll ever use the center diff. Mine is the PE version.

medina619
10-18-2010, 04:34 PM
whats a stock set? up you running a VXL? a great set up for a 4x4 slash is a Novak 4.5 and a MMP esc on 2s. no heat problems what so ever. 3s just tears everything up in minutes.

domp444
10-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes, the truck is running the VXL setup. I am not looking to upgrade to the MMP at this time, though.

I bought the 19t pinion, and the gears won't mesh. Which 19t pinion is it that I need? Maybe one with a different pitch? The gears are too short and won't work with the gear in the truck.

Thanks for helping :)

medina619
10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
32pitch in a 4x4

domp444
10-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks! It should say that in the manual, haha.

medina619
10-20-2010, 11:27 PM
the manual says the 19 pinion is for high speed runs only. What does this mean

it means you may run in to heat problems if you run it off road. gear down if you dont want to over heat your motor

domp444
10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
I just wanted to try it out, on road. Not planning on using it all the time or running for a lot of time.

I'll probably just use the stock gearing with the 3s lipo I got today to do off-road.

Brushless55
10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
going with a bigger pinion will help when you run 3s in your Slash
I would even try something bigger like a 22 or 24 to keep things cooler

H2OCamel
10-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Mine on 3s and the stock pinion is 45+mph and it wheelies like a son of a gun! I can run it at half throttle on the street and gun it and it will wheelie. It is insane for jumping too. I think going for the high speed passes this truck is not very stable so I keep it stock. And they mean drag racing straight line no coners for "high speed passes" it is not an indy car.

domp444
10-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Cool, I ordered the 19t pinion and should get it next week I hope.

I can't wait to try it, it sounds like fun. I'm gonna put in the stock gearing for now and run it like that, and then just see what the 19t is like. It looks fast!

HELI-MD
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Dont run 3s for long periods of time it cant handle the centrifugal force. Either that or i had a lemon of a motor. Mine blew apart after the 3rd battery pack was ran
through it. It fried the esc as well. I should have known better but i had to try it. lol

dshuld
08-30-2012, 04:15 AM
going with a bigger pinion will help when you run 3s in your Slash
I would even try something bigger like a 22 or 24 to keep things cooler

No offense brushless but i hope that was a joke. The higher the pinion the hotter things get. I bought the ultimate 4x4 and in order to keep temps reasonable on the vxl I had to stay with a 16t pinion(mind you during the summer in Fl) I jumped to a 18t and temps went from 110ish to 138ish ( been a while since the vxl was in mine).

I bought the sidewinder sct back when it first came out and was like $99 and haven't looked back. Gobs of power and I can run 18t/19t pinion and be under 130. I generally run a 17t pinion and 52t spur in mine though as it give a good balance of speed, control and stays at 100/110 with the fans. I put the fan from the vxl esc on top of the sidewinder esc to help cool that.

I'm pretty much what you would consider a basher with mine but I have had it on the track a time or two at Lake Park in Tampa and B&B hobbies in Spring Hill while other guys where practicing. B&B is mostly 1/8 scale buggies and Lake Park was 1/8 buggies and a few other slashes and an sc10.

Once I got used to how it would take the jumps I was running circles around every one else til I got bored. Then I went back to bashing especially at B&B, they have a triple jump at the back end of the track that is fun. The jumps are about 2 feet tall and there is a platform at the end that has a ramp on two sides which is about 20 feet from the first jump. With the ramp on the back it's about 25 feet. With how I have mine set up I can launch from the first jump and come down at the end of the ramp on the platform. I know it's easily achievable but it's freaking fun as heck. Any way enough of my rant.