PDA

View Full Version : Miss Geico Review

jac4412
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Alright so I figured I'd give you my review... I always find these helpful and since I'm a relatively new boater I figured I'd give you my insight...

First off I'd just like to say HUGE thanks to Diesel6401.... 90% of the stuff I'm picking up has been from his posts or through his patience helping me... thanks a ton!

Specs

Specs
Length: 30 in (762mm)
Beam: 11 in (279mm)
Motor Size: A3630-1500Kv Water-Cooled Brushless
Radio: ProBoat 2-channel 2.4GHz Marine
Speed Control: 45-amp water-cooled programmable
Hull Material: Fiberglass Composite
Hull Type: Catamaran
Battery: 2-7.2V NiMH sub-C or 7.4 LiPo+20C (not included)
Kit/RTR: RTR
Drive System: Flexshaft/direct

Alright so lets get down to it...

I ordered my MG and shes been sitting in my room for a month while I was at school. I come up, open the box and first thing I notice is MAN what a bright color. One of the reasons I bought it was to run her all the way across my lake... there won't be any problem finding this girl in the water... literally a nuclear green color. The decals also look FANTASTIC... very realistic. If people complain about the weird lizard... oh well thats the MG! Overall I'd say man what a fine looking boat.... might be the nicest RTR looking boat I've seen in person... simply beautiful. I popped open the cover (magnets are plenty strong... the only thing that would rip that cover off is a crash at full speed) and I was pretty impressed with the space inside. Very roomy, easy to work with... everything is right there, battery trays are nicely placed to the side. Tuperware cover fits on very snuggly. Perfect looking boat, and perfectly size to work on. This boat will have no room problem on the inside (width wise). Next thing I did was fix the flex to the correct one. Luckily HH sent me 2 flex shafts... and I also have the one steve made... so I'll be set when I have to put in a new one!

So I decided to run her today. First run right off the bat... all I can say is wow. The handling is spot on. Acceleration is great. Torque is excellent. The stock motor is a very good motor. Unfortunatly my x642 has not come in yet... So I could only run her on the stock prop. My GPS (I use the 4 inch yellow garmin etrx) fit perfect in front of the motor... I even added a little velcro so now it will be easy taking it in and out etc. GPSed the boat stock at 32 mph. With the new prop (I was on 4s too) I should hit 36-37 no problem.

So I took her around one of the coves (too scared to run her in the open incase I have a problem... speedboat is out and I wasn't in the mood to row/swim). The MG will take any turn like on rails. On calm-light chop this boat will cut/turn as far as you want it... on a dime. Extremely stable boat. This is my first big cat I've run and I will never buy another mono hull (atleast until next summer). EXTREMELY stable. I was running in high wind and in high chop and I didnt have to throttle back once. The only thing that I did notice was again the bounce in the boat. Right below full throttle this cat purred... you can tell this is a well built boat. I was very happy at that speed with the boat, it was running extremely efficient. However as I gave it the last bit of throttle it started to bounce... I moved the batteries forward (I had them 9 inches from the transom on the first run) and she still bounced. Unfortunatly I did not have time to adjust the strut or fool around with her too much... I'll adjust more before my next run which won't be for a couple weeks. However other than the bounce I must say this boat is beautiful... once I get the bounce out this will be a well running boat. The paint looks great, very nice build... no pits and flat ride pads... All the hardware looks great. For the money I feel this might be the best RTR boat out there for someone with needs on a lake... Clearly this boat can handle some wave traffic and still rip in calm water. I've driven a few proboat/FE boats and this one is my favorite so far. I used the proboat card to program my esc:

Battery Type: Lipo
Cutoff Voltage: High
Cutoff Type: Idle
Brake: Off
Timing: High
Throttle Curve: Linear

So all in all... I'd highly recommend this boat.. besides the bounce this boat is wonderful... easy to use... great performance! Maybe next spring I'll get into racing these things... Sorry I don't have any video/good pictures yet.. my camera batt conveniently died on the lake. I also bought a mini camera so next time I run I'll take a cockpit video on the lake.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1230/mmspicture2z.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5544/mmspicturesb.jpg

Diesel6401
10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Looks good, and thanks. I really don't know much, just read a whole lot for seasoned racers and members. Keep up the progress and report your findings. Happy boating!

Adrian
02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
I had to retire my Pro Boat Brushless Black Jack and will get one of these to replace it. It seems to be a pretty good RTR. I may buy a hull and use some of the parts from my old Blackjack at a later date.

Diesel6401
02-20-2011, 01:39 AM
I had to retire my Pro Boat Brushless Black Jack and will get one of these to replace it. It seems to be a pretty good RTR. I may buy a hull and use some of the parts from my old Blackjack at a later date.

Some of the parts are the same. The stock plastic prop, the motor, the esc and the motor coupler are all the same on both the blackjack and the miss geico.... You could buy the mg hull which is a great quality hull and add the stock mg hardware which is also great quality or add your own choice of hardware. The plain hull comes with some of the inside done pretty well and decals applied!!!! Could save you a few bucks!!!

PB hit a homerun with this one!

pyroM!KE
02-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Yup I love this boat..The bounce is all I would complain about..I installed a Kinetic V2 offset rudder bracket and the bouncing went away..

ashcossie
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
is that a offshore warrior next to it in your pic, how do u find it compared to that in the speed and handling
cheers