PDA

View Full Version : stock prop; comment

Rex R
11-13-2007, 02:35 AM
I dunno why everyone is so down on the stock prop...why just the other day I lost a blade and was dead in the water(after a collision) and was still able to get the boat up on plane. was it slower, yes. was it noisy, oh yeah :laugh: did I finish the race, er noo(but that wasn't because of the prop).

Steven Vaccaro
11-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Man that was a tough race for you, losing props and rudders. :-)

Rex R
11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
lol, it was a tough race for everyone. 6 boats started an 8 lap race...only one boat finished! but we had fun.

Doby
11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I was running my Proboat Miss Llumar Sunday ( SV-27 hardware modification) and when I got back to shore after a 7 minute run, I noticed one of the blades was missing th top 1/3:w00t:

Don't know when it happened, but didn't notice any drop in speed:D

I like the props for everyday running and fun racing :D

H&MWill
11-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I just got another SV in the mail today and the only problem I have with the prop is it never makes it to me in one piece. We have 3 now and 2 of them showed up with 2 and a half blades.

Avanti
11-17-2007, 01:47 AM
bought mine at the LHS and the prop was fine I also picked up a couple other to try out. (no testing results yet, waiting on a gps)

dougle4
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
A trick I learned about plastics is to place them in a small container of boiling water for about 5 minutes .
This makes them less brittle and aren't as prone to breakage as a stock prop would be . Somewhat like tempering a piece of metal , makes them more flexable .

Avanti
11-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I found my two blade 42x55 grim to be faster (to my eyes anyway, still waiting on a gps) than the three blade grim (both metal props are better than stock)

Bill-SOCAL
11-20-2007, 12:58 AM
I just put a 42x55 Grim on mine. I plan to run it tomorrow. No objective means of measuring speed, so I'll have to rely on my impressions.

Avanti
11-20-2007, 07:28 AM
the two blade also seem to get on plane much quicker

Bill-SOCAL
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I got three runs in today with the GrimRacer 42x55. In a word.. WOW!! Jumps up onto plane faster and just scoots! A very noticeable increase in speed over the stock prop.

I'm running 3600 NiMH and everything else is stock (except radio - Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST). Batteries and motor were warm, but definitely not hot after each run.

I plan to go to LiPo here fairly soon, I'll let you know how that goes.

Steven Vaccaro
11-22-2007, 06:32 AM
The two blades seem to have a much better take off for some reason. If I was looking at the 2 props, side by side and never tested them, I would have bet a 3 blade with more blade area would have a better bit on take off.

Rapid Rick
11-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Any tips on how to remove the stock prop? The prop doesn't slide off after removing the hex nut, it is seemingly fused or glued in place.

BTW. That's for all the great information you guys provided in this forum on how to seal the boat from water leaks. This was an invaluable help to me.

Rick

Avanti
11-22-2007, 11:09 AM
cut it off with a dremel if you have to.

no problem Rick that's what the site is for

Bill-SOCAL
11-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Can't help with the prop removal. Mine slipped right off. You might remove the entire drive shaft with the prop on it (like when you lube the shaft). Then hang it off the prop in a vise (with wood to protect the prop) and give the end of the shaft a couple of gentle taps to break it loose from the prop.

motoxbob11
12-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I just got my SV and I took off the stock prop no problem but when I slipped on a CF45 from my old boat I couldn't get the nut back on the end of the shaft because there was no room. The drive dog didn't seem to want to move forward either. Is there an adjustement that has to be made when installing a different prop?

Steven Vaccaro
12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
I havent had anyone have this propblem yet. You should be able to slide the shaft out of the coupler a bit and than slide the drive dog back. OR, drill out the front of the hub on the 45mm prop. That way you will be able to catch the threads.

motoxbob11
12-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Steve I'll take it apart and try to get the drive dog to move forward. Like I said I just got it and I am looking it over. One trim tab is about 1/8th inch above the bottom of the boat! I'll be ordering some of your adjustable ones soon.

Rex R
12-17-2007, 01:46 AM
did some measuring...sv props front>rear hub approx 17/32", graupner cf k-series (k 40, 42, 45) approx 5/8", octura x640 .5", x645 5/8". so yes there is a difference. when I tried the k-45 last season, I had just enough shaft to run the nut on. one thing though, make sure the drive dog engages the prop, else that nut isn't going to go on all the way

motoxbob11
12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Yea Rex I guess the prop dog on mine is just a little bit set different than yours because there wasn't enough threads left to grab the whole nut. I'll adjust soon.

Darin Jordan
12-17-2007, 09:51 AM
The two blades seem to have a much better take off for some reason. If I was looking at the 2 props, side by side and never tested them, I would have bet a 3 blade with more blade area would have a better bit on take off.

I doubt it's a 2-blade vs. 3-blade thing... It's a quality 2-blade vs. a cheesy plastic 3-blade thing... ;)

the stock prop is adequate... but has way too much flex... Doing anything to make it MORE flexible would just compound the performance problems...

We run the 42x55 Grim props on our Spec SV27s and they work great... they are much easier for beginners to drive because the boat isn't nearly as sensitive to CG or setup when trying to get the darn thing on a plane... Plus we NEVER come up missing any blades...

The stock prop is what it is... but it'll never be as good as a quality metal one...

ice329
12-17-2007, 09:55 AM
If your gonna use a CF45 or 48. You should move the stock dog up as far as it will go then put the locknut on backwards. The correct way to do it is buy a octura drive dog, get the bigger one then flatten the shaft so the new drive dog can slide up further. The bigger dogs diamiter is the same as the hub on the CF props. If you intend on going with a X642 or a M445 then you need the stock dog or the smaller diamiter Octura dog, set in the stock slot.

I have seen a few things that need adjustment on the SV, one being the trim tab being lower. Its all part of adjusting your boat. They give you the stuff but sometimes it just needs to be fixed a little. If your making a order a OSE waterjacket is a nice upgrade. G/L have fun

motoxbob11
12-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I ordered the water jacket and trim tabs last night. My boat appears to be pretty well built except for the one trim tab being mounted to high. I have to re-organize the radio box because they stuffed the speed control in at a bad angle and totally pinched the water cooling. I'm not so sure I need the radio box anyway. Has anyone changed it around and set the parts up in a more open setup like a normal boat?

propdrvr
12-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I am intersted in what you guys think about replacing the stock prop in my SV, I just use it to kick around, also, I am interested in a simple solution like the carbon fiber props Steve sold me for the Villain,

In addition, is really worth it to put two turn fins on the SV? mine tends to chine walk at full speed with a quartering tailwind.

Thanks guys!:thumbup1: