PDA

View Full Version : Lipo Care and Storage

Snowride
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Would like some recommendations for storage of lipo batteries. I will not be taking my boat out every week during the summer and in winter it will be stored for the season which could be 6 months +.

1) Long term storage, what to do? Charged, not charged, physically discharge them to a certain amount, charge up every so often?

2) Using on a weekly basis. After an outing an with depleted batteries, should I charge them up when I get home or leave them low and only charge before the day before I want to go out again?

3)Is a metal tool box a good safe place to store them or do you have a better solution?

4) I know a lipo battery has a life span of X discharges depending on brand/quality but is there a ball park figure on how long they will last in terms of years being only lightly used, well taken care of and properly stored?

Sorry about all the stupid question but I am just starting. :help:

SweetZ28
10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi for storage charge to 3.85V per each cell in pack store in a fire proof box I put mine in a lipo sack and then put them inside a fire proof brinks box and then put that box inside a cheep $10 glass 10 gallon fish tank and put it where there is nothing around it that can catch fire.
Your metal box should work also but put the batts in a lipo sack when inside your box.

store in a cool dry spot.

charging after use i usally charge them up to store charge voltage this way it won't take as long to charge when i do have to charge them for my next use.

and how long the battery last you can never tell some last long some dont.

Hope this helps

Snowride
10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. :beerchug:

mappo
10-01-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.maxamps.com/pdf/Lipo-Care.pdf