PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Mills??

Darin Jordan
09-28-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm looking for a decent bench top mill to purchase. Was thinking Sureline, but they are damned expensive, and I don't have room for a really big one.

Anyhow ever tried one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

If a guy added a real collet head to it, do you think it would be precise enough to machine RC boat parts with any accuracy and repeatability?

Any other recommendations??

AndyKunz
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Darin,

Talk to Kmot. He has real experience and can help. E-mail if you need to know how to reach him.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Sherline is nice but very light. You can also order the CNC kit for the sherline. I almost bought one but decide to just go with a lathe. They do make an adapter for the mini lathe that works well. You can mill with the HB version but mainly Alum. SS is not easy and takes time.

T.C.
09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I bought a Sherline lathe and mill and all the tools to go with them over 25 years ago.
I have used them for everything from my full size 69 Chevell to model trains, boats, cars, plains ect.... They are a little on the lite side but they are made for Hobby's not a machine shop. The only limiting factor I have had is the size of the object I am trying to machine, sometimes I bite off more than the machine can chew. LOL I did buy the riser blocks so I can get a larger than stock part into the lathe, that helps when needed.
Wouldn't trade or sell them for the world, I have made enough money with them through the years they have payed for themselves more than once.
Plus I think there still made in the USA and you can get parts if needed, Oh and don't forget the accessories, tons of them, you'll need a loan just for the accessories and tools. LOL
Hope this helps T.C.

befu
09-29-2010, 08:43 PM
http://ihcnc.com/pages/dro.php

this is what I ended up going with about 5 years ago. Probably too big and is way more than the other one you are looking at. DRO is really nice! I machined a lot of stuff without it, but once you have it, hard to imagine going back.

That is a lot of mill for $4k. Also helps when work is paying for it!

the round column mills have lots of limitations to them. Better than nothing, but definately limitations. Try to stick with a square column mill.

Brian