PDA

View Full Version : IMPBA D12 Seaon Wrap-Up

Chilli
09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Well the season finale in Hagerstown, MD is a wrap. The water was low and weeds were a a bit of a problem but we worked through it and the weather was nice. So a good time was had by all.

I ran the JAE, my Woodstuff tunnel and my gas Sniper. John ran his Mean Machine in novice and Dick Loeb brought his FE Woodstuff as well. I had some radio gremlins all weekend. I think it had something to do with the transmitter antenna I replaced on my Futaba 3pm. I had glitching with all my boats if I wasnt on the pins at buoy 4-5.

My JAE wasnt the fastest rigger out there but I nailed every start this weekend and that was the difference. The weeds and radio issues caused two DNF's on Saturday, but I came back strong and won the last two heats. The DNF's hurt but I ended up with 2nd in hydro. I'm still sorting out the Tunnel but I'm getting closer. I finished the last heat and thats about all I'm going to say about that. Getting the setup right on the Woodstuff is a bit frustrating, but I'm having fun with it. I did pretty good with the gas boat finishing second and third on Saturday, but my driving hurt me today. I stuffed it in the third heat while overtaking another boat. I knew what I did wrong so it's all good. Another lesson learned.

Dick ran well with his tunnel I cant remember if he took first or second. Truthfully, he wasnt running it has hard as he could of. John also ran very nice heats and took his first victory ever. I was very proud. He has had a tough year with steering/reciever problems and running with gas boats in novice. I hope he learned that hard work and perseverance pays off. The icing on the cake this weekend was winning a Aeromarine $100 gift certificates during the raffle.

What a great ride it's been! Two years ago I was on the outside looking in at a district with ZERO FE's. This time last year it was just me and my son running novice. But in the last ten months we have had many firsts. We started with the acceptance of the FE rules allowing combined classes in three classes. Then we had Dick Loeb and Mike L. breaking a few SAW records with their tunnel FE's. We then ran the first heats in D12 with combined nitro/ FE classes. Lastly we had a great turnout for the Chesapeake race and ran the first ever all FE heat in the district. Many people took notice at the Chesapeake race. More than we know. They got a peak of what the future holds and admire our enthusiasm. I want to thank our mentor Doug Smock for his guidance in helping us write the FE rules and bringing some star power to the Chesapeake race. Kent (Hotwater) who was my number one cheerleader over the past year. Dick Loeb along with Mike Luszcz who took the incentive to showcase the FE's at the Chesapeake race. Our district director Don Ferette who we now have hooked on FE's like a striper on a treble hook. And lastly the guys that took the time and money to build boats and join us!!!! Chuck, Danny, Jason, it would'nt of happened without you all!!!:beerchug:

I hope we serve as a model and inspiration for individuals and clubs who want to race FE's in areas where it has not yet taken a foothold. My hopes for next year are to possibly allow FE's in a few more classes, have more FE participation at multiple district races and for the IMPBA leadership on a national level to be more in tune with the needs of it's FE members.

D. Newland
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Hat's off to you guys! I'm already looking forward to seeing what happens in Dist 12 for 2011!

Doug Smock
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Congratulations to all of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Well done fellas!!!!!!!!!!
Don Ferette,
Thanks again to you, and the Dist. 12 clubs for giving these guys and FE this opportunity!!!:bowdown:

What a great year!!!!!:thumbup:
Here's to 2011 :beerchug:
Doug

hazegry
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I am already working on next years boats hoping to have them dialed in and built soon.

HOTWATER
09-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks Doug for being there for us all of the time and steering us in the right directions with everything!Same goes out to you Don Ferrette...you guys are great!!!

Nice job this year with everything Mike!! Ditto on all people you have mentioned that have made this a great start for FE's running in Dist. 12...I had a great time meeting everyone and just being a part of it all!!! Next year will be exciting!! I will be running in a few classes....

Oh yeah, Great job John (Chilli jr.) for getting your first win in the novice class!!! You deserve a Snickers bar! You're a great kid...your dad is very proud of you for hanging in there!

Winter builds...coming up next!

-Kent

Doug Smock
09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Kent, I was (am) happy to be a small part of it all.
D-12 ROCKS!!:thumbup1:

Doug

HOTWATER
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Kent, I was (am) happy to be a small part of it all.
D-12 ROCKS!!:thumbup1:

Doug

Doug, you are a BIG part of us now! Thanks man! :hug1:

Chilli
09-27-2010, 09:47 PM
What was really cool about this year is that we went a different route than D13 who as far as I know, never ran combined classes. I think Doug was a little skeptical, but he still guided us while letting us do our own thing. We're developing a symbiotic relationship with the nitro guys and are bolstering nitro classes that have shown a decline in numbers due to the popularity of gas boats. I think we can expect more of the same in the future with FE's being added to existing nitro classes that are light in participation.

BTW- Don is also officialy one of us now. He was getting some smack talk from Steve "the bear" Speas when talking about his FE plans for next year.

One last thing I want to add. David Newland who is the NAMBA Electric Class Chairman has posted a few times on our threads his words of encouragement. I want to thank him for his recognition of our efforts. I'm sure David feels any positive gains that are made whether IMPBA or NAMBA are an asset for the entire FE communtiy. Thanks David!!!

Doug Smock
09-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I knew it could be a slippery slope for sure but you guys pulled it off. Keeping it competitive was the key.

TOO COOL!!!

The first time FEs ran in D-13 was at the South Carolina Championships in Charleston Oct. 2006. We ( Don Sallee, Ron Green, Chris Harris, Chris Girshefski, and myself) ran Q-Monos.
Chris Harris ran Ron's Seaducer "RINGER"in open mono and it was quickly TAKEN OUT (sure looked deliberate:eek:) before the start.
We sure have come a long way since then.

We were fortunate in a way here in D-13 because for whatever reason the nitro participation was down in the Grand Prix series, and there was room for FE only classes. We started with two classes LSH and P-Mono three years ago and are now racing five. Throw in a gas class or two and you'll feel like and old man at the end of the weekend. :laugh:

You guys broke new ground this year and proved as we did here that boats are boats and we can all get along.
It doesn't matter what powers it, bring it to the pond. Times they are a changin!!!!!:thumbup:

Doug:beerchug:

hazegry
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I cant wait for next year I hope to get some good running boats ready before the start of the season. Its going to be a fun year!

D. Newland
09-28-2010, 11:49 AM
One last thing I want to add. David Newland who is the NAMBA Electric Class Chairman has posted a few times on our threads his words of encouragement. I want to thank him for his recognition of our efforts. I'm sure David feels any positive gains that are made whether IMPBA or NAMBA are an asset for the entire FE communtiy. Thanks David!!!

No...thank you!

FE has more momentum right now than ever before, and we just need to make sure we continue to capitalize on it. You're right, IMPBA or NAMBA; it doesn't matter. Doors are opening and barriers are coming down. What you guys are doing may not be for everyone, but you're proving that it can work and it's an option clubs/districts can utilize if they want to do it.

We just need to keep a good, healthy perspective on this hobby, and continue to refine our FE setups!

Doug Smock
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
David is one of the good guys no doubt!!!

Doug

HOTWATER
09-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Cheers to you David for being there for the FE masses! :beerchug:

-Kent

don ferrette
09-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Well guys what can I say, things sure turned out well this season for FE in D12 and I see only bigger things for 2011. And Chilli Mike's right, the Paypal and credit card numbers are already circulating in the FE "stores", guess I'm gonna be an amphead for a while. :rockon2:

I'm looking at all the classes for 2011 and am already planning on changes that will hopefully accomplish 2 things- cut down on the overall number of classes we run (too many) and possibly create a couple more nitro/FE combos for the bigger FE's to play. We started with baby steps .... now the toddler is walking on his own. More good stuff on the horizon no doubt. :thumbup:

Chilli
09-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Don, did you get any complaints or suggestions from the nitro crowd? Do we need to tweak any of the rules we ran under this past year?

don ferrette
09-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Don, did you get any complaints or suggestions from the nitro crowd? Do we need to tweak any of the rules we ran under this past year?The only thing so far that we need to "tweak" a little is the prop sizing for the P monos running with the B nitro monos, you and I have already chatted about this earlier in the season @ Delmarva. Like I told you then had your driving of your P mono been a little more shall we say "consistent" you would have smoked the B class boats. Beyond that I think we've really got a good thing going with the B/P combos and they should be strong classes for 2011. :beerchug:

cybercrxt
09-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Chili Chili...Thanks for the nice comments. Its been a very cool year. Altho I did not get to nearly as many races as I wanted to, Dick L. kept me closely informed of all the FE action and my new favorite...the 1/8th scale action! Lots of big things coming for the future. Thanks again!

Doug Smock and Don Ferrette,
Its been a really cool getting to know you guys better. I have learned a LOT this year, and your recent friendship has only helped me gain more knowledge, so thanks to you guys.

The rest of the crowd..Jason, Kent, Chuck, Danny, and if I missed others, its been cool meeting you guys and hopefully we will get a lot more races together soon!

Hopefully I will get to see some of you in Elizabeth City November 5th for the SAW trials. I am currently prepping for that and will be there ready! Even if you are not going to try for a record, its worth seeing the boats people like Kentley Porter, Don Ferrette, John Finch, and others bring..it will blow your mind!

Mike Luszcz

Chilli
09-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Like I told you then had your driving of your P mono been a little more shall we say "consistent" you would have smoked the B class boats. :beerchug:

I'll take that as a compliment as it implies I drive okay at least some of the time. :rofl:

Doug Smock
09-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Even if you are not going to try for a record, its worth seeing the boats people like Kentley Porter, Don Ferrette, John Finch, and others bring..it will blow your mind!

Mike Luszcz

Definately go check it out if you can fellas!! You'll be glad you did.:w00t:

Doug

hazegry
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
I cant wait I am trying very hard to have a good stable of boats and be able to compete next year. I bought a 1/8 hydro from Mike Luszcz and I am hoping to have it ready to go for 2012. I think we are all going to have a good time next year