PDA

View Full Version : fe verses nitro

boatinjoe
09-24-2010, 06:46 AM
will /can the stilletto be competitive against nitro opc's 3.5 thats all thats around here to race, I figure if I can win a few races it might open up some eyes. I am sure they will let me run with them. just wondering .. joe

Diegoboy
09-24-2010, 07:12 AM
You may have to change the OB to an O.S. or something like it

ron1950
09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
what kind of speeds do the nitro boats do? with a little work this boat could do 45 or so.....maybe more but heat is a problem sometimes,,,,,

Diegoboy
09-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Not sure on the speeds, but they are pretty fast.

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 08:00 AM
You may have to change the OB to an O.S. or something like it

No, You won't...!! :Shame_on_You: ;)

The outboard will be just fine. With the stock motor, and a decent setup, you should be able to run with most of the 3.5 Stock boats.

Diegoboy
09-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Sorry Darin, I was not thinking "spec"

Fluid
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
The biggest advantage with an FE OB versus a nitro OB seems to be reliability. Over a multi-heat race the FE boat will likely compile more points than most of the nitro boats, even if it isn't as fast. But then some ARE as fast or a bit faster than the nitro tunnels. You just don't have to be faster to do well.

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Sorry Darin, I was not thinking "spec"

No worries... But either way, you shouldn't need to replace the OB, even to upgrade to a hotter motor. It'll handle it!

I'd do the performance mods mentioned in my Stiletto race prep thread. Should be nearly bullet-proof then. Biggest improvements would be to get a Hyperformance Bullet-Drive stubshaft and flexcable from Steven, and then properly fit the flex. After that, I see no reason why this OB can't be a race OB. You'll be paying a slight weight penalty, but not enough to justify a completely new setup.

All just in my opinion, of course...

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM
You just don't have to be faster to do well.

I prove that every time I hit the water!! :thumbup1:

Hahahaha.... :thumbup:

Diegoboy
09-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Have you posted a pic of the bottom of your boat after the block sanding?

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Have you posted a pic of the bottom of your boat after the block sanding?

I thought I did. I'm a little behind on posting pics. I have some that show some of the prepping I've done, but have been busy with other things and haven't posted them yet.

Our main race season ends this weekend. After that, it will be mostly building time, so hopefully I can get caught up.

ALD
09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Darin,
hpi-3.5-bullet-drive
Hyper Performance 3.5 Bullet Outboard drive, steering linkage and motor fit new drive?

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Darin,
hpi-3.5-bullet-drive
Hyper Performance 3.5 Bullet Outboard drive, steering linkage and motor fit new drive?

I'm talking about just replacing the stub shaft and flex cable... Mostly the stub. I like the aftermarket flex cables because the flat section is shorter, allowing the cable to arch more coming into the squaredrives. The Hyperformance stub is simply awesome and will last forever.

ALD
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Stubshaft same as prop shaft- I'm not sure? Thanks.

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Stubshaft same as prop shaft- I'm not sure? Thanks.

Yes... prop shaft. Just like a stock K&B, the stock Stiletto stub will get loose after a bit of running.

GP73
09-25-2010, 12:02 AM
The Hyperformance stub is simply awesome and will last forever.

Are those drop-ins replacements for the stock one? I'm looking at their website and i wouldn't mind buying one (together with a couple of flex shafts).

Jeepers
09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
will /can the stilletto be competitive against nitro opc's 3.5 thats all thats around here to race, I figure if I can win a few races it might open up some eyes. I am sure they will let me run with them. just wondering .. joe

I know its not the Stilletto but I have raced my dads VS1 against 3.5 nitro boats a couple of times. I personally found the handling/speed has to be spot on to take on a good 3.5 nitro boat. as for the speed department I have yet to get it hang with the fast guys in the straights but its fast enough to be competitive.

Darin Jordan
09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Are those drop-ins replacements for the stock one? I'm looking at their website and i wouldn't mind buying one (together with a couple of flex shafts).

Yes... You may have to adjust the flex length slightly, but that's generally the case on any outboard.

Grimracer
10-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Joe,

As in all racing it aint over till its over.. truth is anything can happen.. I bet you will get a few wins!.. FE or nitro.. racing is racing

BUT.. im quite sure a well prepped FE Stiletto (driven by say..the designer..) and a well prepped Nitro Nemesis (Driven by say its designer) and.. overall…its GAME OVER for the FE boat..

Truth is I have raced just that or rather something very close to that.... the very first (“Stiletto” Prototype) and my Nemesis (prototype) raced in IMPBA dist 4 from time to time (when Charley Howarth had bought the boat from Tommy Lee) and the Nemesis took the trophy home each and every time…

I was just happy I had out designed Tommy Lee for peats sake! He was the best in the business at the time..

Grim

I think I have Video of the Nemesis running some place around here.... But dont have any of the races between the two boats.. that would be cool to re-live.

egneg
10-29-2010, 07:08 PM
A dependable boat will be the saving grace as I don't think a stock boat will be as fast as a well setup nitro. I have not run an FE tunnel yet but my mono and rigger are doing well against the nitro's because I finish more races.

Grimracer
10-29-2010, 11:05 PM
How about that.. I did find that old video..

this is from aound 2004.. sorry about the poor quality..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHF2fdaLhU

Grim