PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy "nano-tech"

forescott
09-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Anybody know what the difference is with the turnigy lipos and the new nano-technology?? Or is "nano-tech" a fancy word for New-decals?

Rumdog
09-23-2010, 07:50 PM
They have a much higher burst rating

hyrulejedi86
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Their expand less with high output current. Don't get as warm, aren't supposed to be as easily puffed.

Their have less resistance.

slyman
09-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Their expand less with high output current. Don't get as warm, aren't supposed to be as easily puffed.

Their have less resistance.

Have you used them, what size, how many cycles, and how are they holding up?

Snowride
09-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Their charge rates are 5 times more than non nano tech meaning they are capable of charging much faster without issues according to the specs (assuming your charger is big enough)

hyrulejedi86
09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I have two 2s 6000 mah that I have used 5 or6 times in my ul 1. They do run cooler and have performed well so far.

sailr
09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
NANO tech refers to the latest technology of being able to produce much smaller particles of the compound inside the battery. This allows a much higher density which equates to more power and more robust performance. This is nothing new. Hyperion came out with them more than a year ago. Thunderpower followed behind. HobbyKing is very late to the dance. Nothing new, they are just very good at hype.

The biggest difference in batteries is quality control and cell matching. Cheap batteries can end up with minute particles of metal in the cells which cause them to short out internally which is one of the culprits of 'puffing' and igniting. This was the main reason that early lipoly batteries were so feared and resisted by a large portion of the modeling community. As quality control increased and incidents of ignition decreased, they became more accepted. Today, 'igniting', packs are rare unless the idiot user demands far more than the pack can safely deliver, charges at the wrong rate, etc.

Poorly matched cells can also cause the early demise of a pack. The extra quality control and cell matching costs money! That is why the CHEAP packs are always suspect. Fine for sport use but questionable in hard core competition where great demands are put on the packs.

Brushless55
10-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Their charge rates are 5 times more than non nano tech meaning they are capable of charging much faster without issues according to the specs (assuming your charger is big enough)

Most any Lipo today can be charged at 2c and higher :thumbup1:

sailr
10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I have been charging lipos at at least 2C for a few years now but I buy good packs! Even the cheapos can handle 2C now.

Brushless55
10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
I have been charging lipos at at least 2C for a few years now but I buy good packs! Even the cheapos can handle 2C now.

Sweet!
I've read and article that said most any pack can be charged at 2c and higher unless it says only charge at 1c

sailr
10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Some of them say only charge at 1C to cover their A**!

Brushless55
10-01-2010, 09:41 AM
gotcha :thumbup1:

Snowride
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
The nano tech does say 5C. :banana:

RIPFENCE
10-01-2010, 12:01 PM
i guess i am on the fence about these batteries...especially on the 6s batteries...wouldnt you rather have a 6s 40-50c discharge battery with a 40c constant then a nano tech with 25c constant/50c burst?:confused2:

Snowride
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
i guess i am on the fence about these batteries...especially on the 6s batteries...wouldnt you rather have a 6s 40-50c discharge battery with a 40c constant then a nano tech with 25c constant/50c burst?:confused2:

Only money. They get more expensive if you up the rate to 45 constant and 90 burst.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11956&Product_Name=Turnigy_nano-tech_5000mah_3S_45~90C_Lipo_Pack

RIPFENCE
10-01-2010, 01:30 PM
i idi not know they had a 6s 45-90c lipo?? if thats the case then i would rather have the nano

video200
10-01-2010, 02:25 PM
they dont for the nano`s i been looking.

Snowride
10-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Actually they do have although 25-50c . http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11941

cybercrxt
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I am sure the cells in a nano tech are fine, but I am sure the soldering quality is the same as the others, garbage. I just switched to Polyquest 5050mah 35c packs, and will not go back to turnigy/ zippys ever again. The difference is overwhelming. Not only did the packs come back virtually cold with no puffing, the motor and speed controller were night and day cooler than before. And I am talking 5s2p, 1518 neu/castle, hydra 240lv..not a small power setup. Not only that, but I am pretty sure the boat will show on gps and saw traps a faster speed. AMAZING difference, Mike

AlanN
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Nano tech lowers the internal resistance of the cells which allows them to sustain a higher V rating. I believe the layers of the cells are coated with another material that bridges the gaps that the older tech could not cover on a very small scale. I read an article on this approx. 2 years ago and wham...that's when Hyperion and some other mfgs started to market these.

Cells that puff are just poor cells and or not matched well. It is caused by gas build up in the foil.

bigwaveohs
10-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I am sure the cells in a nano tech are fine, but I am sure the soldering quality is the same as the others, garbage. I just switched to Polyquest 5050mah 35c packs, and will not go back to turnigy/ zippys ever again. The difference is overwhelming. Not only did the packs come back virtually cold with no puffing, the motor and speed controller were night and day cooler than before. And I am talking 5s2p, 1518 neu/castle, hydra 240lv..not a small power setup. Not only that, but I am pretty sure the boat will show on gps and saw traps a faster speed. AMAZING difference, Mike

I could see why the packs would run cooler (less internal resistance), but why would the motor/ESC run cooler?

domp444
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm charging one of my nano-techs right now, and it's amazing. I'm charging it at 3c (it's a 2s 5000mah 25-50c pack). I have the iCharger 206b with P350 power supply and it's great. I can't wait to try charging it at 4c! 20amps damn. That's as far as my charger will go, so I think I'm gonna have to get a new one. Haha! But the good thing is that I can charge all 4 of my LiPos with it at once, or both of the nano-techs at 2c (20amps).

Nano-techs are definitely worth getting!

cybercrxt
10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I could see why the packs would run cooler (less internal resistance), but why would the motor/ESC run cooler?

Hey, When the voltage is stable, and it doesn't drop off or have a hard time being delivered to the esc and motor, they stay cooler as they don't have to work as hard to create the same power. Its really a current flow and efficiency thing.

cybercrxt
10-07-2010, 09:47 AM
That, I believe, is why Castle will only allow you one free warrenty replacement when using cheap packs, if you continuously turn in their esc's for a repair and you have been using low grade packs, they will turn you away! They must know something!

AlanN
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm charging one of my nano-techs right now, and it's amazing. I'm charging it at 3c (it's a 2s 5000mah 25-50c pack). I have the iCharger 206b with P350 power supply and it's great. I can't wait to try charging it at 4c! 20amps damn. That's as far as my charger will go, so I think I'm gonna have to get a new one. Haha! But the good thing is that I can charge all 4 of my LiPos with it at once, or both of the nano-techs at 2c (20amps).

Nano-techs are definitely worth getting!

The harsher you charge your cells the less life they will have. There is nothing wrong with charging at 1C. Cells tend to vary in V more if charged at a higher rate while making your equipment work harder in trying to keep them balanced.

785boats
10-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I've got to agree with Alan on this.
Even if it says you can charge it at 5C, do you really need to? They will certainly last longer & take on a better charge at a lower C charge.
You don't buy a pack on how fast you are able to charge them. You buy it on how it performs while it's discharging.
Admittedly it is good to be able to do a fast charge at the lake sometimes, but I charge all my packs up on Friday afternoon/night & usually recharge 2 or 3 packs up again at the lake during the afternoon. All at 1C.
There are going to be a lot of people buying new chargers & power supplies because most of the ones people have won't be big enough to charge even a 5000mah pack at 5c. That's 25Amps.
But do you really need to?
Cheers.
Paul.

Peter Duggan
11-02-2010, 08:38 AM
I have heard that Nano-techs are Hyperion "seconds" with a little les quality control but I don't have any proof.

Peter

Brushless55
11-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I have heard that Nano-techs are Hyperion "seconds" with a little les quality control but I don't have any proof.

Peter

That's funny!

sailr
11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Nope. No relationship between the turnigys and hyperions. NOT the same factory at all. Hyperions are simply superior to other brands. Period.

What you may be thinking about is what happened to another company a couple years back. The factory was in Korea and made the best cells in the business. Their cells were used by ThunderPower, FlightPower, PolyRC, etc.

The brother-in-law of the owner started carting off the reject cells and making packs that he sold under another name. Needless to say, there was war in the family. Ultimately, the brother in law set up in the states with the same name as the good ones! Pretty much killed the company. TPower and FPower, etc. all dumped them.

The moral is to watch out what you wish for. It may seem cheap today but longevity and performance costs a bit more.

cybercrxt
11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Jim, would you care to share some more info on that matter with me? I have all Polyquest/Poly RC packs, and now you have me nervous! Mike

sailr
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Mike,
Don't worry about it. This all happened about 3 or 4 years ago. Old news now. I just wish I could remember the name of the batteries! Dang! They were considered the very very best until the brother in law screwed up the game.

Rumdog
11-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I have seen no proof of packs being superior to turnigy nano techs yet. Have you?

sailr
11-03-2010, 12:36 AM
The nano's haven't been out long. Give it time