PDA

View Full Version : Tactic Reciever... in a baloon?

JMSCARD
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
so I have a question... will it kill my reception to put the Tactic 2.4ghz radio in a balloon to keep it from getting wet? was thinking to put it in balloon and tie then velcro to bottom of hull? anyone done this?

HYDROJERRY
09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
i did it in my mini hydro,,plastic hull seamed to be fine, didnt try to go out real far but had no probs either....

Diesel6401
09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
so I have a question... will it kill my reception to put the Tactic 2.4ghz radio in a balloon to keep it from getting wet? was thinking to put it in balloon and tie then velcro to bottom of hull? anyone done this?

I waterproofed my tactic rx, super easy, super quick & super cheap!!! I had it fully submerged (dont ask how :doh:) and worked flawless!

A bought this at Harbor Freight and love it. I use about 5 coats with 15ms dry time in between and then let sit overnight after the last coat. I placed a piece of foam over the connection plugs so they wouldn't get covered.

Jesse J
09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Just don't use a CF balloon, Jason.

You can also conformal epoxy your receivers - then all you need to do is air them out if they get dunked.

martin
09-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Liquid Tape is also good for coating the entire case of servos after packing the gears & out put spindle with waterproof grease. Do you think Liquid Tape would work coating lipos & their connection tags or will they get to hot.

slyman
09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Use a balloon in my UL-1 all the time,go for it, no problems.

properchopper
09-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Balloons have been used for a long time. At best, they make the Rx splashproof but not immersion resistant. Sealing the electronics doesn't always work and can trap moisture in. I "splashproof" my Rx's with three plastic bags in different directions to keep any splash or bilge slosh away. Best shot is to pressure test all cooling lines, float test, and use hatch retention devices & tape up REAL GOOD. Of course, anything can happen (and often does)! :w00t:

[ Rx pulled out for foto, normally tucked away]

pescador
09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
CorrosionX works to waterproof receivers as well.
Remember to open up your balloon to dry out when your done.

steveo
09-23-2010, 07:41 PM
ose sells non conductive epoxy coat your the board let dry and put the case back on

LarrysDrifter
09-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I flipped my ul 1 when I 1st bought it.I didnt use enough hatch tape to go around the whole peremiter.(Ran out but had to run it).Everything was submerged.I got it back and got the water out,plugged it back in and ran it.Maybe it was a stroke of luck.I ve had no problems with it since.But,coating and trying to water proof is always a good idea.

JMSCARD
09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Balloons have been used for a long time. At best, they make the Rx splashproof but not immersion resistant. Sealing the electronics doesn't always work and can trap moisture in. I "splashproof" my Rx's with three plastic bags in different directions to keep any splash or bilge slosh away. Best shot is to pressure test all cooling lines, float test, and use hatch retention devices & tape up REAL GOOD. Of course, anything can happen (and often does)! :w00t:

[ Rx pulled out for foto, normally tucked away]

Proper do you use anything else to like corrosion x? or just the bags? I already have corrosion X so sounds like I should just go that route? and the bags....

I am planning on possibly running my Tactic in my big MHZ cat..... the hatch isn't carbon fiber but there is carbon fiber in the boat... motor mounts/battery trays.. etc., will this be a problem for the tactic... should I use one of my FM radios I have sitting around.

sailr
09-24-2010, 08:50 AM
The tactic works fine inside a balloon or bag. I run tactics in all of my boats. They all have carbon fiber floors in them. No worries.

JMSCARD
09-24-2010, 08:55 AM
The tactic works fine inside a balloon or bag. I run tactics in all of my boats. They all have carbon fiber floors in them. No worries.

Sailr thats what I wanted to hear!! thank you!

ENCORE MAN
09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I put servo and esc extension leads into the receiver and put a blank connector into the third channel hole and seal the whole thing up. It works well and can withstand submersion. BG

JMSCARD
09-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I put servo and esc extension leads into the receiver and put a blank connector into the third channel hole and seal the whole thing up. It works well and can withstand submersion. BG

this is great info too.... the servo extensions make sense too!! thanks encoreman!!

properchopper
09-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Same here; not all of my boats have CF floors, but the two I do have seem fine with the bagged Tactic Rx. :smile:

JMSCARD
09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
This is all GREAT stuff... thanks gents for helping answer all my questions and concerns!! I feel alot better about sticking that $50 radio in my MHZ now!!!

SweetZ28
09-24-2010, 03:01 PM
:thumbup1: wrap it up with silicone self fusing tape workes like a charm like a balloon but it will never rot away because it's silicone and it wraps neatly to any shape of a object ....i do this for all my rc's that could get wet.

martin
09-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I waterproofed my tactic rx, super easy, super quick & super cheap!!! I had it fully submerged (dont ask how :doh:) and worked flawless!

A bought this at Harbor Freight and love it. I use about 5 coats with 15ms dry time in between and then let sit overnight after the last coat. I placed a piece of foam over the connection plugs so they wouldn't get covered.

The company that make Liquid Tape is 1/4 hour from where i live in the UK, They also make one called Plastidip that goes on a lot thicker in one application & you can also brush it on.

sailr
09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Great idea! DOH! :doh: Why didn't I think of that? :thumbup:

martin
09-25-2010, 04:46 AM

Is this a separate esc & servo lead rather than the original ones that come fitted to the esc & servo. Also what do you use to seal the rx. Thanks.

ENCORE MAN
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Is this a separate esc & servo lead rather than the original ones that come fitted to the esc & servo. Also what do you use to seal the rx. Thanks.
Hey Martin,, yes, I use separate servo extension leads which are quite inexpensive. I then dip the receiver with the extension leads attached and the third channel hole plugged into plastic tool dip. I used plastic dip instead of epoxy as plastic dip can be removed like peeling an orange. I tried this on a Tactic receiver. My next step is to put tape over the bind button on a Spektrum sr3000 receiver and dip it also. I am a little reticent to use a Spektrum because of the cost but what the heck. I guess it is just a different number on the check when my wife pays the VISA bill. LOL BG

JMSCARD
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey Martin,, yes, I use separate servo extension leads which are quite inexpensive. I then dip the receiver with the extension leads attached and the third channel hole plugged into plastic tool dip. I used plastic dip instead of epoxy as plastic dip can be removed like peeling an orange. I tried this on a Tactic receiver. My next step is to put tape over the bind button on a Spektrum sr3000 receiver and dip it also. I am a little reticent to use a Spektrum because of the cost but what the heck. I guess it is just a different number on the check when my wife pays the VISA bill. LOL BG

What kind of Plasti dip do you use BG?

ENCORE MAN
09-25-2010, 09:07 AM
What kind of Plasti dip do you use BG?

Jim, I use plastic tool dip, comes in red, black, yellow and blue. I also use it to seal the battery leads on my lipos. It costs $10 at Harbor Freight and $15 at Ace Hardware. The tin is a liitle larger than a can of Coke. Be sure to seal the lid with electrical tape after each use or you will have a single, hard block of plastic to pitch out. BG

JMSCARD
09-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Jim, I use plastic tool dip, comes in red, black, yellow and blue. I also use it to seal the battery leads on my lipos. It costs $10 at Harbor Freight and $15 at Ace Hardware. The tin is a liitle larger than a can of Coke. Be sure to seal the lid with electrical tape after each use or you will have a single, hard block of plastic to pitch out. BG

Thanks BG!! I have an ace hardware right in town... and thanks for the tip on keeping it useable with the black tape technique.... Thanks BG!!!

Jason

henryhound
09-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Great idea Encore Man, Im wondering if it might help keep the Gator away from your boat, you know, the one thats been seen lately, lurking around the boat dock in Winterquarters?

martin
09-25-2010, 10:58 AM
How do you seal the plugs on the end of the extention leads where the esc & servo plug in so as you can disconect them. Can you use Corrosion X on plugs & connectors or will it put a protective coating on them where you dont want that for obvious reasons. I know a good idea for bullet connectors is to slide a piece of relevent size silicon fuel or water tube over the connector .

martin
09-25-2010, 11:21 AM
BG do you do any thing different to seal the esc other than methods already mentioned in forums ie covering in epoxy all over or coating with several coats of Corrosion X. Martin.

ENCORE MAN
09-25-2010, 12:39 PM
How do you seal the plugs on the end of the extention leads where the esc & servo plug in so as you can disconect them. Can you use Corrosion X on plugs & connectors or will it put a protective coating on them where you dont want that for obvious reasons. I know a good idea for bullet connectors is to slide a piece of relevent size silicon fuel or water tube over the connector .

Martin, I don't bother to seal the joint where the connectors make contact, They fit pretty tight and may be waterproof. That said, I spray them regularly with motor cleaner to insure connectivity. You could always paint the joining surfaces with plastic dip if it is a concern for you. Next, I am always concerned about heat retention when encapsulating any ESC. I generally just spray them with Corrosion x once in a while. So far, so good as I really layer the hatch tape on. BG

ENCORE MAN
09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Great idea Encore Man, Im wondering if it might help keep the Gator away from your boat, you know, the one thats been seen lately, lurking around the boat dock in Winterquarters?

Bill, I am not sure if this is an issue for me. I just got a LEECRAFT 30 x 18 inch hydro. Is this gator our normal 40 mph gator or does it look like a kick ass 60 mph gator? See you in about 3 weeks. BG

martin
09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Martin, I don't bother to seal the joint where the connectors make contact, They fit pretty tight and may be waterproof. That said, I spray them regularly with motor cleaner to insure connectivity. You could always paint the joining surfaces with plastic dip if it is a concern for you. Next, I am always concerned about heat retention when encapsulating any ESC. I generally just spray them with Corrosion x once in a while. So far, so good as I really layer the hatch tape on. BG

Yes i think i will stick with Corrosion X on the esc, Any type of heat retention is some thing that concerned me. Even a small amount if your getting close to the limit of an esc is bad news. Ive also heard that you can put Corrosion X inside motors and stand on end to let any residue drain out and have protection from parts corroding in the motor, Have you heard of useing in motors. Martin.

ENCORE MAN
09-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Yes i think i will stick with Corrosion X on the esc, Any type of heat retention is some thing that concerned me. Even a small amount if your getting close to the limit of an esc is bad news. Ive also heard that you can put Corrosion X inside motors and stand on end to let any residue drain out and have protection from parts corroding in the motor, Have you heard of useing in motors. Martin.
The outboard guys must buy x in gallon tins by the way they pour it to the motors. BG

martin
09-25-2010, 04:32 PM
The outboard guys must buy x in gallon tins by the way they pour it to the motors. BG

BG the motors i was reffering to were our electric motors with X in them. Martin.

ENCORE MAN
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
BG the motors i was reffering to were our electric motors with X in them. Martin.

Yes Martin, I am talking about electric outboard motors. I have witnessed them submerged, sprayed with x and put right back into the next heat. Amazing stuff indeed. BG

martin
09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes Martin, I am talking about electric outboard motors. I have witnessed them submerged, sprayed with x and put right back into the next heat. Amazing stuff indeed. BG

Perhaps i need to get a bigger can of X. Martin.

henryhound
09-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Dont know how fast this Gator is but skip sent me a photo of one with a hammer in his Jaws??
He ignored my SV. Glad to hear about your Leecraft, sounds like some compition for my whiplash (when I get it finished) Looking forward to you getting your hobby shop open.

See ya soon, Bill

martin
09-26-2010, 07:41 AM
When useing plastidip on rx is it ok to put a few coats of Corrosion X on on the board & let it dry to give a protective film then use Plastidip so as to give a double protection. Or is that a bad idea where the Plastidip wont be so effective because of not sticking so well. Martin.

martin
09-26-2010, 02:18 PM

BG when you use plastidip on the rx do you dip the rx with its outer case on or do you remove the case & dip the inrtnals. Martin.

ENCORE MAN
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
BG when you use plastidip on the rx do you dip the rx with its outer case on or do you remove the case & dip the inrtnals. Martin.
Martin. I dip the whole exterior case. That is the reason for using the extensions and blank plug.If you dipped the interior board, I doubt it would be waterproof. BG