PDA

View Full Version : proper disposal of lipos

dana
09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
ok so todays thread got me thinking, how do we properly dispose of lipos? i have a 2s pack that wont take a charge right, and im sure is no good anymore. i have it stored in my ammo box,but i would like to get rid of it. do i use my charger to discharge it? or do i put it in a bucket of saltwater? what kinda of salt? i have reef salt for my saltwater aquarium... i assume this is good, but how long do i leave it there? can i throw it in the trash when im done? lemme know what works best

kookie_guy
09-22-2010, 12:13 AM
sweet, what kind of tank you got? lol. I have a 65G reef with a 29G sump.

You can do it the entertaining way, hook up a remotely activated jumper cable, and short it out. Make a "don't do this" instructional video, lol.

I'd use the charger, or a running motor, or an automotive bulb to discharge it as much as possible, then the salt water dip til it reads zero volts when measured.

But the up in smoke method is not as time consuming, and more fun.

Simon.O.
09-22-2010, 04:20 AM
sweet, what kind of tank you got? lol. I have a 65G reef with a 29G sump.

You can do it the entertaining way, hook up a remotely activated jumper cable, and short it out. Make a "don't do this" instructional video, lol.

I'd use the charger, or a running motor, or an automotive bulb to discharge it as much as possible, then the salt water dip til it reads zero volts when measured.

But the up in smoke method is not as time consuming, and more fun.

:iagree:
I have done it both ways
I now prefer to drop the pack in a can of salty water. About 1 teaspoon of salt per litre of water is what I use and then leave it for a few days, check that it is dead and then bin it.

Dead shorting with a remote solenoid is fun too. :tape: do not ask

dana
09-22-2010, 12:04 PM
i have 30 gallon reef and 55 gallon freshwater planted aquariums. love em. ok ill try the saltwater method after i run it down with a automotive bulb or something. thanks

SweetZ28
09-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I have a 125 gallon freshwater tank with big fish ... O about the lipo i use my charger and discharged it and then hook a few car light bulbs up to it until fully drained.