PDA

View Full Version : don't under estimate fotation... in the cowl!

Jesse J
09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
So I got this Vegas hydro, beautifully painted up in metallic red and really nice clear coat. Got me some Formula stickers and put in a Hacker 9XL motor. Made a sweet sub-hatch system so I wouldn't have to do all the taping required to seal off that HUGE cowl (I always give Dad crap for whining about all the taping).

Anyway, I took her out for the maiden voyage just as she came to me (I was worried about how low the strut was) but OK lets give a try. I do some laps nice and easy, bring in for temp check and see how my sub hatch held - gravy!

Second run and as you all know, you need to test out how a hydro corners, so by instinct now, I do my uncharted crazy maneuvers closer to the shore than farther, so not too far off the dock I crank her over to see how she will hold a sharp corner.... well aerobatics were the result... no biggie.... or was it.

there she be, boat and cowl separated. (I just used a couple small strips of hatch tape cause the locks wouldn't fit with my subhatch.) Ok, deploy the rescue craft...

but wait, the cowl is sinking.... :sinking-guy:

In my mounting fury and intensifying language, I watched the beautiful irreplaceable hatch make its way to the locker. OK, you piece of explicative, so now on retrieving the hydro, you know those pointed noses how they like to submerge, well this lifted the rear end up - which got me going even more - and I gunned it :cursing::cursing: Ya, right great idea, this knocked the hatch off the rescue barge AND even better, as the now water logged hydro rolled over tail end forward and lifted the rescue barge clean out of the water.... Can it get worse??

Well, now we have 1) hatch on the lake floor, 2) hydro full of water AND 3) beached rescue vessel and no wind.....

Then a voice rings out," look the hydro is sinking and the rescue barge is back in the water!!" WTF??? ok quick bring it in before the hydro goes down too... I doubt the hydro would have sank, pretty good flotation, but could use more.

Aside from a totally melted down swordfish 120, got the boat back..

So then a buddy asks, "what is that hatch worth to ya?" so resisting smart remarks, I said, "well since its irreplaceable, a lot!" Next, he brings some light to the situation: "I have a wet suit and mask!" Well, we visually mark where it went down and head home.

Yesterday morning, thankfully under a beautiful sunny sky, we arrive with wet suit on hand. He starts to get suited up and mentally prepared for chilly waters. Gets his gear and we hit the dock (very well prepared, scuba tube, knife, etc).

Splosh he goes, motors out to where I marked the tragic event and then he kinda sits there, I guess getting his breathing down. Next thing I see are his flippers skyward................. :w00t:Unbelievable... see attached photo!!

Very first attempt, he said there was about 4-6' visibility and it was just right there exactly below him... :doh:

Ran again later in the evening (with foam in hatch) got her over 60 mph and then spectacular crash, hatch came off ---- found it this morning right there bobbing among the weeds....:rofl:

Moral of the story: even the hatch needs its flotation!!!

wetsleeves
02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
WOW you are one lucky guy. Ive had the same thing happen to me. Know I make sure the hatch is tapped down really well and of course there is plenty of flotation. Thanks for the post.......

SweetAccord
02-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I always wondered to epoxy a fishing line from the hatch to the hull instead of flotation. Just a thought for hatches that don't have much room for flotation.

drwayne
02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
So what was the final rescue cost ?
I paid a sixpack to have a boat retrieved ..up, down, stuck into the bottom at WOT !
Very hard to judge where a moving object ends when diving under wot...

I agree, flotation is a must !

W

Xzessperated
02-17-2011, 11:41 PM
So what was the final rescue cost ?
I paid a sixpack to have a boat retrieved ..up, down, stuck into the bottom at WOT !
Very hard to judge where a moving object ends when diving under wot...

I agree, flotation is a must !

W

:iagree: I have been in model boating long enough to know better but I recently lost the hatch to the boat below... Not happy Jan

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1063/5124749462_78e7c81106_o.jpg

drwayne
02-17-2011, 11:45 PM
:iagree: I have been in model boating long enough to know better but I recently lost the hatch to the boat below... Not happy Jan

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1063/5124749462_78e7c81106_o.jpg

Classic case of familiarization with success .. just not prepared for failure.
is that a bad thing..... ?

W

Xzessperated
02-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Classic case of familiarization with success .. just not prepared for failure.
is that a bad thing..... ?

W

No W. I have had more failures than successes so I should prepare better than I did. My failures add up to thousands of $$'s.
Fool (me) with boat, will travel to a pond near you. :Sinking:
Or... get your laughs at my expense.

drwayne
02-18-2011, 12:13 AM
No W. I have had more failures than successes so I should prepare better than I did. My failures add up to thousands of $$'s.
Fool (me) with boat, will travel to a pond near you. :Sinking:
Or... get your laughs at my expense.

Not laughing, sympathizing.
And you're always welcome at my ponds, mate !

If we achieve perfection in boats, we would move on.
I use to ride my Malvern Star bike to the pond 5 miles away, string start the OS40 .. and buy hot chips from local shop for lunch... a massive cost of 40c for the whole day.. food and fuel included...
Ive been dabbling here since 1978 .... only the boats have changed.
W
:thumbup: