PDA

View Full Version : MG and Rough Water

POWERS
09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Got tired of running the Miss Geico in the small retention pond I've been practicing in so I took her out to a nice cove behind my Fiance's parents house and got a couple runs in today.

The water was far from the "like glass" water of the pond. It made for a real fun run. It looked like a real offshore boat hitting big air at time. Being a rookie driver I was still able to keep her upright and moving for the most part. Only after getting a little more confident and having that male gene that makes me wanna see what would happen if, I decided to see what she could do. I had a couple flip overs, one complete spiral landing upright and moving on like nothing happened, and one submarine where she got big air and took a nose dive coming back up and moving on. It was a lot fun.

Only thing is it took its toll on the battery trays, they both came un-attached. All the bouncing and the heavy 5000mah NiMHs were to much.

Any suggestions on the best way to re-attach these?

dana
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
epoxy. maybe try moving up and getting some lipo's

Fluid
09-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Not just any epoxy. Rough up the surfaces of the hull and trays, then use a good grade of epoxy like JB weld (long set, not fast). Using some fiberglass tape with thinned "regular" hobby epoxy across the top works very well too.

dana
09-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Not just any epoxy. Rough up the surfaces of the hull and trays, then use a good grade of epoxy like JB weld (long set, not fast). Using some fiberglass tape with thinned "regular" hobby epoxy across the top works very well too.

good point

longballlumber
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I like using this stuff... If it's good enough for real boat's it good enough for my boats...

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Later,
Mike

POWERS
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks again all for the tips. Kinda figured an epoxy was the way to go. And I definitely need to upgrade to LiPos, having these heavy NiMHs bouncing around inside the hull can't be good for it.