PDA

View Full Version : ICE 160HV ESC under water (long story)

keithbradley
09-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I dunked my ICE 160HV today. In a barrel roll I blew the hatch off and the whole thing went under (other than the tip of the boat which stuck up in the air from flotation. A hadn't treated it with corrosion x, or waterproofed it in any way. It was my first run with it just as a test and wouldn't have thought it would end up under water.

When the hatch blew off, it was during a flip/roll and the boat ended up right side up. I tried to throttle it to get the boat back to me but it started taking water in from the back and it just quit. Not a good sign for my new controller.

I retreived the boat, got it home, and took the end caps off the esc. I sprayed it with corrosion x and dried it. I tested the esc on the bench and it actually worked again! After connecting it to my castle link it looks like at full throttle I was pulling between 50-90A most of the time, and hit 106A at one point. The temperature slowly rose to the upper 130's...then there is a spot on the chart where the current jumps to 390A, and the temp drops to 52F.

The esc has an option in which you can program it to shut off at a certain current load, anywhere from low current to totally disabled. I had it set to shut off at 240A (the middle setting). Although this is far from a reliable protection from water exposure, it looks like it saved my controller on its maiden run:thumbup:

Now I just need to find a way to keep the hatch on this thing!