View Full Version : Scottsdale, Az Club dates for '10/'11

D. Newland
09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Club dates have been set up for the remainder of '10, and the beginning of '11:

Sunday, Oct 17th
Sunday, Nov 21st
Sunday, Dec 19th
Sunday, Jan 16th

Winter Warmups VII: Feb 25th-27th. More on this soon.

Club classes: P-Limited OPC, P-Limited Sport Hydro, P-Limited Offshore and P-Limited Hydro.

3 boat min. Any other 3 boats in a class can run, too.

McKellips Pond, 7900 E McKellips Rd, Scottsdale, Az

Start time: 9:30.

If there are any questions, let me know!

properchopper
09-16-2010, 05:14 PM

Sunday, Oct 17th
Sunday, Nov 21st
Sunday, Dec 19th
Sunday, Jan 16th

Club classes: OPC, LSH, P-Limited Offshore and P-Limited Hydro.

Hmmmm.... Gotta' talk to the SoCal guys.... Road Trip !!!

is OPC Spec-OPC ?

D. Newland
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes-I changed it.

And, yes-get some companionship in Feb...or sooner!

D. Newland
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Club race results from 10/17

Sorry for the delay...been busy!

P-Limited Offshore:

Paul Winegarner 38 laps
Pete Wijatyk 30/1/4 laps
David Newland 20 3/4 laps
Gary Rose 13 1/4 laps

LSH

David Newland 825
Pete Wijatyk 725
Dick Roberts 450
Paul Winegarner 350
Gary Rose 350

OPC

Dick Roberts 1100
David Newland 925
Paul Winegarner 493
Pete Wijatyk 275
Gary Rose 275

P-Ltd Hydro

Paul Winegarner 450
Pete Wijatyk 450
Dick Roberts 425

We had to use our "backup" pond due to a very serious weed issue at our primary pond. We had a very hot September, so the weeds didn't die off in time for our first race. Our back-up pond makes racing a bit unusual, as we have to stand really close to the Turn 1 buoy. It's certainly a different perspective racing from that vantage point.

Paul has his Cyberstorm dialed in for P-Ltd O/S and ran away with that class. Pete and I suffered a number of buoy cuts, and I was working on new boat gremlins with a recently built Cyberstorm. We'll be more prepared for Paul next race.

LSH-I'm working with a new turn fin on my Insane 30, and liking it. Flying off of the point buoy in heat 3 kept me from a perfect round, but it was still enough for a 1st place. Pete was right behind with his Buass shovel.

OPC-Congratulations to Dick Roberts for winning this class with is Cobra Tunnel. He has that thing dialed in and he drove it better than he ever has before! Nobody had anything for him!

P-Ltd Hydro: Tough class. Buoy hits, boat hits, etc. etc. Fortunately, no real damage that I recall, but not the best showing w/the riggers that day! Next time.

November 21st is our next Club Race and it's scheduled at McKellips Pond. I will find out from a local if the weed problem is no longer when we get closer to that date!

properchopper
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Splendid showing, Mi Amigos. Man, it's getting tougher and tougher for an old duffer like me to keep up with you all - Oh wait; Dick's older than me & has the deal dialed in too :o

properchopper
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Wait a minute ! You're running Cyberstorm 32's in P-Limited Offshore ? Do I have to trade in my T-29 for a bigger boat ??? OK I'll ask : what Spec motor in the Cyber 32 ?

D. Newland
11-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Go w/the Cyberstorm if you want a slower and more stable boat...but I know that may not compute. UL1 motor and X442. Drawing about 4200-4400 mAh's for a 4 min race.

My Patriot is much faster around the course, but the Nat's proved that you've got to slow down and have a much more stable setup for P-Ltd O/S. Only 2 guys finished all 4 heats.

Darin Jordan
11-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Go w/the Cyberstorm if you want a slower and more stable boat...but I know that may not compute. UL1 motor and X442. Drawing about 4200-4400 mAh's for a 4 min race.

David... I'm really kind of surprised that someone would choose to run a UL1 motor for Offshore... especially in a bigger mono? Obviously, it was made to work, but I would think one would be better served by stepping the motor down in KV and running a similar pitch, but larger diameter prop (X447 or similar) to help maintain the "bite" when the coarse gets choppy. Also, the pull out of the turns on the BJ motor, for example, is pretty substantial...

Interesting...

properchopper
11-02-2010, 11:36 AM

My Patriot is much faster around the course, but the Nat's proved that you've got to slow down and have a much more stable setup for P-Ltd O/S. Only 2 guys finished all 4 heats.

Thanks. Got some thinking to do :crying:

properchopper
11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
David... I'm really kind of surprised that someone would choose to run a UL1 motor for Offshore... especially in a bigger mono? Obviously, it was made to work, but I would think one would be better served by stepping the motor down in KV and running a similar pitch, but larger diameter prop (X447 or similar) to help maintain the "bite" when the coarse gets choppy. Also, the pull out of the turns on the BJ motor, for example, is pretty substantial...

Interesting...

That's my take as well - my T29/BJ 1500 KV boat is what I was planning on, but.....?? Or maybe my old DF33 with the BJ...? Maybe the 1800 BJ ??

D. Newland
11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
In an effort to keep all of my equipment consistent, I have set up my P-Ltd racing program around just one motor. It's working, but I would go w/the 1800 Kv motors for P-Ltd O/S if I wasn't focused on equipment consistency.

My Patriot ran the UL-1 motor and an X444 at the Nat's and it was fantastic, but there was 1 heat where I flipped at lap 7...

The water gets chopped up pretty good when there are 5-7 boats out there for 4 min's, and you can't take your Sprint racing mentality and apply it to Offshore racing...at least I don't anymore. I just hope I continue to remember that.

D. Newland
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Sunday, November 21st Club race

The weather wasn't on our side today with wind/rain throughout the day, but we had more members than ever before! 5 classes officially ran, with 1 other class that was thrown in there a few times for giggles. 10 guys total, and that's good for us.

2 new guys, George Morris and Vu (don't know last name), showed up on a whim with some fantastic Q mono's. They are from the heli/plane side of the hobby and had 2 Cyberstorm's outfitted with 6S and Leopard motors. Screaming fast, but there's some more tuning yet to be done! Hopefully, they will get those running in P-Ltd and/or P trim for our WW VII race in February.

Also, we ran our first ever 1/10th Vintage Scale class! We had 3 drivers, Gary Rose, Leonard Feeback and Ted McKay, and they go their boats around the course (and in a bit of wind, too) in fine fashion.

P-Ltd Offshore:

Paul Winegarner: 36 1/2 laps and frickin' unstoppable
David Newland: 34 laps
Pete Wijetek: 25 1/4 laps
Ted McKay: 20 1/4 laps
Dave Zelinka: 16 laps
Gary Rose: 4 laps

Paul's Cyberstorm kept getting better as the wind picked up throughout the day, and he has that thing set up to run full throttle for 4 minutes, no matter the water conditions. He had a perfect day with that boat.

This was Ted's first race with us, coming from the gas/nitro side, and ran a Miss Geico. He got tripped up the 1st heat, but had solid finishes for heats 2 and 3. The boad was solid, but we'll work on a different prop selection once we've got a good handle on his amp draw.

Unfortunately, Pete's boat found the concrete wall in round three, and hit it dead-on. When we got the boat back, the damage didn't look to bad, but there was something weird about the inside of the boat. The Hyperion G3's were still in place, but it turned out that it was only the shrink wrap that was in place...the actual cells ejected from the shrink and ended up in the nose of his hull! Undamaged, too.

P-Ltd OPC

Paul Winegarner: 450 pts
Dave Zelinka: 450 pts
David Newland: 425 pts
Pete Wijetek: 325 pts

Not a good day for tunnels as the weather conditions worsened throughout the day.

P-Ltd Hydro

Paul Winegarner: 825 pts
Pete Wijetek: 725 pts
Gary Rose: 50 pts

All Jae FE's running, and Paul and Pete had theirs running very well. Round 2, Gary and Paul got tangled up on the front stretch, and Paul took a hit to the port side tub area. As he rounded the course again, we could see a 4" hole in the tub, but the boat kept going. He finished the heat (won it), and brought it immediately to shore. The tub filled with water as soon as the ass end sat down, but the guy on shore retrieved it quickly.

Vintage 1/10th scale

Leonard Feeback: 1100 pts
Ted McKay: 725 pts
Gary Rose: 75 pts

Great to have this class running at our pond, and they were good lookin' boats, too. Leonard had the consistency to take this class, even though Ted had a quite a bit more speed. Great driving...no carnage!

LSH

David Newland 800 pts
Gary Rose: 325 pts
Pete Wijetek: 50 pts
Paul Winegarner: 50 pts

Tough day for these boats, so we didn't even race the 3rd round. The guys w/the shovel's just didn't want to be beaten again by my Insane...Paul does have a Whip under construction that should be ready by next month! And congratulations to Gary for getting 2nd, running a UL-1 Sport Hydro.

properchopper
11-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Good Stuff !! Congrat's to all. Great to hear attendance is growing. Feb is going to be a ball. I'm stocking up on Bondo now :laugh:

D. Newland
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Photos of our club event (thanks, Leonard!), can be found here (http://www.namba19.com/photos/FE_scottsdale/index.htm).

T-take a close look at the water conditions for P-Ltd O/S. That's why we're running the Cyberstorms!

properchopper
12-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Awesome photos - Thanks ! Yeah, a bit "choppy" :eek:

D. Newland
12-13-2010, 12:48 PM
We are racing 12/19/10.

knightmoto
12-15-2010, 11:07 PM
OK I see I need to do some more homework to prep for AZ? What 2030's? how many cell? I noticed an Aqua ESC modiified with a rather large Capacitor, what? Oh boy...All right Big T, Should I get a Cyberstorm?

properchopper
12-15-2010, 11:57 PM
OK I see I need to do some more homework to prep for AZ? What 2030's? how many cell? I noticed an Aqua ESC modiified with a rather large Capacitor, what? Oh boy...All right Big T, Should I get a Cyberstorm?

Johnny, great news if you want to go to AZ for the big race [ WW VII]. You'll meet some great guys, have fun racing, and it will change your perspective on FE totally-for the good !! I already have 2 local guys committed - Jump in, Bro :thumbup:

( check out the class line-up under the "Boat Club" forum here, and call me to help you get your fleet strategy lined up.)

D. Newland
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Sunday, December 19th Club run

Great weather. 73 degrees and partly cloudy. Not much wind. We were down a few guys from last month, but we still fielded 5 classes.

P-Ltd Offshore:

David N. 35 1/4 laps
Pete Wikatyk 32 1/4 laps
Paul Winegarner 27 1/4 laps

All 3 Cyberstorms running this race. It took a few rounds to figure out that Pete's collet was bent from last months crash. It was creating quite the vibration, but he finished all 3 heats! Paul finally flubbed...flipped in the last round at lap 4. He had a very hot streak going! I was 1 buoy cut way from having a perfect 3 heats.

1/10th Scale

Gary Rose 1200 pts
Paul Winegarner 75 pts
Dick Roberts 25 pts

It was Gary's day today. He had some strong finishes in a few classes, especially this one. He has a beautiful shovel now, currently running as Modern, that had a very good showing. He also loaned his other Vintage to Paul and he raced it well, but for one reason or another he just couldn't find the finish line w/it.

P-Ltd OPC

David N 1200 pts
Gary Rose 550 pts
Pete Wijatyk 550 pts
Dick Roberts 325 pts
Paul Winegarner 75 pts
Pat McDonald 25 pts

Great racing for OPC. The second round found 3 boats all flipping within 1 second of each other on the left side of the course after the start, so the finishing points weren't that strong today. Again, Gary pulled it together for a 2nd place finish (well, he actually tied with Pete, but the CD gave him the final 2nd place position for his positive attitude and FE cash outlay) with a very nice looking and running Woodstuff. I hear he's dulling up the sponson tips so they glance off of buoys rather than spear them for the next race.

LSH

David N 725 pts
Gary Rose 450 pts
Paul Winegarner 425 pts

Also great water for LSH. Paul just put together a Whip and he's still working out the kinks. He had it running solid the 3rd heat and I couldn't chase him down. How about Gary! Another 2nd place with his UL-1!

P-Ltd Hydro

Paul Winegarner 825 pts
Pete Wijatyk 625 pts
Dick Roberts 425 pts
Gary Rose 250 pts

All JAE .21's again. The drivers found out, or were reminded again how hard it is to spot your boat coming out of turn 1. A few boats were being driven by the wrong drivers. All were trimmed well, which is a testament to a very well designed boat. The only carnage all day happened in this class, and it wasn't even that bad. Pete hit a buoy and broke off the left sponson booms. He just happened to have received a replacement pair the day before and had the boat running by the next heat.

Our next race is January 16th.

Winter Warmups is February 25th-27th! We are looking for drivers, sponsors and raffle prizes. Please contact me!

properchopper
12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the race coverage; Congrat's to all. Looks like Cyber 32's are the ticket for P-ltd Offshore - My T 29's going " Please Daddy don't shelve me" ! Hmmmm.....
And just wait 'till you see my P-ltd OPC Secret Weapon. Darn I wish AZ wasn't so far away:o Should have some new SoCal drivers coming in Feb. - but you AZ guys are HOT !!! :beerchug:

D. Newland
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Right on, T. Actually, with only 3 drivers and calm water, the Cyberstorms were showing their size out there yesterday.

knightmoto
12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Johnny, great news if you want to go to AZ for the big race [ WW VII]. You'll meet some great guys, have fun racing, and it will change your perspective on FE totally-for the good !! I already have 2 local guys committed - Jump in, Bro :thumbup:

( check out the class line-up under the "Boat Club" forum here, and call me to help you get your fleet strategy lined up.)

Hey Big T, Not sure yet of getting some time off from work, Will have an answer a couple of weeks after the new year for sure. All I have or will have is a P Mono and possibly a P Hydro (pending testing) with a possibility of an N2 Hydro if they are running them. I'll contact you soon! :sinking-guy: Johnny

D. Newland
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Our next club race is this Sunday, 1/16.

DPeterson
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
My I suggest you guy's stop running for a while until after the Winter Warm Up's. You guy's certainly do not need the practice. :Peace_Sign:

Finishing up my Spec rigger this week and next. Will have a full fleet to pack and ship in a few weeks.

Doug

D. Newland
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty accommodating when it comes to our race; But not that accommodating! We're looking at a 71 degree sunny day on Sunday!

Jfosho
01-15-2011, 07:23 PM
How much is it to race and do you have a class for stock ul1?

Sunday, Oct 17th
Sunday, Nov 21st
Sunday, Dec 19th
Sunday, Jan 16th

Club classes: P-Limited OPC, P-Limited Sport Hydro, P-Limited Offshore and P-Limited Hydro.

Flyguy55
01-17-2011, 01:03 AM
A stock UL1 Runs in P Limites Sport Hydro. Most or all of us in that class run the UL1 motor in that class .
We have to rent the pond so it depends on how many show up to race. Its usually 5 - 10$ .

D. Newland
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Please note that the Winter Warmups VII thread has been moved to "Upcoming Races" section on this board.

Jfosho-A club race costs anywhere from $5 to $10 depending on attendance. Please come out and visit! Also, many gas and FE guys run at the pond at Indian School Rd and Hayden (Northeast corner) on any given Sunday. It's a good time to test your boat and talk with guys that can help you get it dialed in.

D. Newland
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Sunday, January 16th Club Race

Back to the Indian School test pond for this race! Traffic problems with the Rock-N-Roll Marathon and a low lake level at McKellips. No worries about the water level for WW VII!

Mostly sunny, High 74. Calm breeze. Need I say perfect day? We were mixing heats with the gas guys as they were getting tuned up for a district race next weekend, so we had a good group of guys present all day.

P-Ltd O/S

Paul 37 1/4 laps
David 36 laps
Pete 22 1/2 laps
Ted 12 3/4 laps

Paul had another perfect day with a boat that had no problem staying 300' ahead of mine for 12 minutes. our lack-of-carnage streak ended today with great display, and it started with our 1st heat of the day in this class. The sun glare was tough around the offshore pin, and Pete and Ted got tangled up. Ted runs the Miss Geico, fortunately, as just his top canopy fractured. The boat still ran and he still got 10 laps in due to the "tupperware" sealed sub-hatch. Also, he's running a UL-1 motor now and the boat is very competitive. Just a little more prop tuning and possibly a change in connectors is needed...that kept him from racing the 3rd round.

OPC

David 400
Pete 300

Nothing exciting today in OPC. Great water, but only 2 boats and due to the lake being busy with our race and gas guys tuning, we dropped the class for the rest of the day.

1/10th Scale

Paul 425
Gary 425
Ted 25

Gary had 2 of his boats running again (Paul driving the other), which is a gutsy thing to do, especially in this class! Also, Ted was driving a new 1-off shovel that looks fantistic and has tremendous straight away speeds...he's still working out the kinks, though. Heat 1 before the start, Gary and Ted "met" at turn 3 and Gary's got a little repair work to do! All boats were still raceable at that point. Heat 2, Paul must have hit something in the water as the transom blew out on lap 2. Get that epoxy flowing, Gary! Oh, I didn't know who to give 1st place to because of the tie. At first, I gave it to Gary, since Paul would have had zero points if Gary didn't let him run his boat, but then I gave it Paul as Gary went home before the 3rd round to start repairs, so Paul was left with no boat to run...It was the conundrum of the day.
Well, there was 1 more. Read below.

P-Ltd Hydro

Paul 825
Gary 625
Pete 625

Great 3rd heat racing in this class, as Paul had to run an older battery pack, giving a slight speed advantage to Pete. However, Paul ran a tighter line. There was a lead swap here and there, but Pete found the point buoy on lap 4, giving the win to Paul. The other conundrum: Gary and Pete's tie. This time, I gave it to Gary as he would have (probably) gotten 25 pts if he would have stayed and raced the third round, and Pete wasn't getting any favors from the CD as he kept tormenting the buoys all day.

LSH

David 1200
Gary 600
Pete 350
Paul 25

More carnage...and with some new boats, too. The first round, Paul handed me and my Insane our asses with his new Whip and I couldn't chase him down. Unfortunately, lap 5 last turn he smacked the point bouy and broke off the left sponson tip. He found all the pieces so it will be up and running for WW VII. Gary stayed steady with a UL-1 for 2 second places, for a 2nd overall and he was even present for round 3! Again, another good LSH finish for Gary. Pete was running a new Phil Thomas .21 boat and it's very nice, but it was it's first race and it still is getting dialed in. He smacked yet another buoy in round 2, crunching the nose, but it was repairable for round 3.

That's it for our club racing until WW VII. We'll have an end-of-season race in April..it's just not scheduled yet.

D. Newland
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
WW VII results for local racers and season club points:

P-Ltd Offshore:

Paul: 68 3/4 laps
David: 61 1/4 laps
Pete: 54 1/4 laps

OPC:

David: 2200 pts (but should be 2300)
Dick: 1519 pts
Paul: 1225 pts
Pete: 425 pts (but should be 325)

1/10th Scale

Paul: 1800
Ted: 1250
Gary: 1200
Leonard: 1100
Dick: 925

P Ltd Hydro:

David: 700
Paul: 625
Pete: 550
Dick: 350

LSH

David: 2300
Pete: 1405
Dick: 1232
Gary: 1094
Paul: 1050

D. Newland
03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Our last club race of the season will be Sunday, April 3rd at McKellips Pond. We'll check for weeds that week to make sure the lake is OK. If not, we'll move over to Indian School pond.

D. Newland
03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks like the lake is going to be fine with regards to weeds.

D. Newland
04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Our season closer was on Sunday, April 3rd. A little thin in attendance, but the weather was fantastic. Low 80's and a nice breeze all day long. Even a little gusty at times!

Unfortunately due to Gary's recent 1/10th scale theft and Leonard's schedule, 1/10th scale didn't run today, nor did the P-Ltd Hydro's due to attendance.

But, we aim to please with P-Ltd Offshore! 4 drivers and all 4 boats are tuned very close. Scary close, really. About the only hiccup in this class was Paul forgetting about the left turn pin on the 1st lap of the 1st heat...woops. Tiny bit of carnage, but nothing earth shattering. Oh, Dave Zelinka also thought it would be fun on the last lap of the day to see how far his boat could launch off of the concrete dam. I guess he knew he had 2nd place locked! Barely.

David N: 35 1/2 laps
Dave Zelinka: 33 1/4 laps
Pete Wijatyk: 32 3/4 laps
Paul Winegarner: 25 laps

OPC

Chaulk up another one for the Purple Passion Cobra. Paul is also running a Cobra and he was chasing me down in the first heat. His boat was making quite a bit more prop noise than others, so I could hear him chasing me down by lap 3. I puckered a bit, but he spun out in lap 4, giving me a little breathing room. Pete Wijatyk really has his PS 295 smoking fast on the water and the handling is impressive...for a few laps. Dave Zelinka is still getting some consistent runs with his VS-1. It was good to have him out on the water again as he's been busy the last few races.

David N: 1200
Dave Zelinka: 625
Paul Winegarner: 350
Pete Wijatyk: 275

LSH

Gary was able to put together a BBY 31" shovel that he had running very well, and Ted and I were running Insane hulls. Ted had to shake a few gremlins in the first heat, but pulled it together for 2 heat wins in rounds 2 and 3. Ted was also working with a few different props and getting more aquainted w/FE tuning. By round 3, he had a very consistent and reliable setup. He and I actually had a great heat going for a few laps...good driving, close in speed, but I tripped up after turn 3...for the 2nd time that day. But, the class win goes to Gary! (3) Second place finishes! Nice and steady. Nice work, Gary!

Gary Rose: 900
Ted McKay: 800
David N: 450

In the 9 years I've been club racing, this was by far the best season of racing we have experienced in Az. We may not have the numbers, but we've got a great group of guys. High caliber. Dare I say world class?? Here's how the season points ended up:

P-Ltd Offshore:

Paul Winegarner: 232 3/4 laps
David Newland: 222 3/4 laps
Pete Wijatyk: 197 1/4 laps
Dave Zelinka: 49 1/4 laps
Ted McKay: 33 laps
Gary Rose: 17 1/4 laps

LSH:

David Newland: 6300 pts
Gary Rose: 3719 pts
Pete Wijatyk: 2530 pts
Paul Winegarner: 1900 pts
Dick Roberts: 1682 pts
Ted McKay: 800 pts

P-Ltd OPC

David Newland: 6350 pts
Dick Roberts: 2944 pts
Paul Winegarner: 2593 pts
Pete Wijatyk: 2150 pts
Dave Zelinka: 1075 pts
Gary Rose: 825 pts
Pat McDonald: 25 pts

P-Ltd Hydro

Paul Winegarner: 3550 pts
Pete Wijatyk: 2975 pts
Dick Roberts: 1200 pts
Gary Rose: 925 pts
David Newland: 700 pts

1/10th Scale:

Gary Rose: 2900 pts
Paul Winegarner: 2300 pts
Leonard Feeback: 2200 pts
Ted McKay: 2000 pts
Dick Roberts: 950 pts

properchopper
04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Man, I wish Arizona was closer ! Sounds like some good racing; congrat's to all who ran & especially for keeping things alive & rockin. :rockon2:

My FE 30 P-Sport is going to Tucson for the race this weekend in Steve's "Team Insane" hands. Some more IC & FE events to come in D 19. Good Stuff !

D. Newland
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I'll give it some good racin'...and no rubbin'. Promise.

properchopper
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I'll give it some good racin'...and no rubbin'. Promise.

:thumbup1::thumbup1: