PDA

View Full Version : To Reduce or not to Reduce.

SJFE
04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Ok guys I'll state upfront for the record I know nothing about gear reduction. As evey one has seen I bought a Mean Machine. After consulting with Steven I decided on a direct drive motor. I was thinking an 11XL on 19.2 volts for just under 30000 rpms. If anyone thinks I can to better on gear reduction...with a lower turn motor..and keep the amps down. Pluss can offer an explaination why..or even better show me some results....I'd be greatfull.
Thanks

ReddyWatts
04-16-2007, 12:40 AM
I dont think you need a trans unless you are using a 10XL to 8XL in a boat that weighs more than 5 lbs. This will give you more torque and lets the motor still wind up. This softens the power surges in ruff water and makes for a more forgiving setup.

IMO it helps the motor effeciency by running the 2 pole motors in the 30K - 38K range, but keep your prop running in the 20K to 30K range, when pushing the heavier weight.

I would use a 120 amp controller with your 11XL.

Steven Vaccaro
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
I personally would not use a gear setup, UNLESS you want to run in varying ways.
IE, fast one day with short runtime - slow one day with long runtime.

I personally find the gear do not hold up. Last summer I ripped the trans from my drifter m, it ran like butter for the week. I cant say that in the previous years.
I have been to only 4 big racers but I have seen a "number" of seasoned racers not finishing races because of gears. Now I'm not trying to put the blame on the person or the gears. It could have been both. All I know is with a short time in between heats I do not want to be messing with the gear lash. It one less area to have issues. The less moving parts the better for me and the higher the reliability.

SJFE
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Agreed....Thanks