PDA

View Full Version : Another Pre-Christmas arrival - WoodStuff 3.5 Tunnel!

Darin Jordan
11-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey Guys... Well... prior to making the deal for the LeeCraft tunnel I posted earlier, I had already made a deal for this one... It was advertised on International Waters without any pics or much of a discription, but I did some research and found out it was a good hull design, so I took a chance...

Well, it arrived today and BOY, did THIS one pan out!! It's in PERFECT condition... looks brand new... This is going to make an AWESOME FE tunnel! So here are the first pics... I'm basically just going to build a new radio box for it and it should be about ready to go pretty quickly...

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/WoodStuff_3.5_002.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/WoodStuff_3.5_003.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/WoodStuff_3.5_005.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/WoodStuff_3.5_008.jpg

Darin Jordan
11-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Just one more view:

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/WoodStuff_3.5_006.jpg

SJFE
11-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Wow man another nice score!!Kind of looks like the Maus tunnel. I would love to find one of them.

kal1b3r
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
looks very nice, by the way, whats better to have, a wooden hull of a fiberglass hull. just wondering.

Darin Jordan
11-11-2007, 10:21 PM
by the way, whats better to have, a wooden hull of a fiberglass hull. just wondering.

Which ever one is FASTER!

Seriously... I'm not sure there is a "better"... There are pros and cons to both...

deestingray
11-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Dude, that is one hot looking tunnel. Well done on that score. I suppose you have to be prepared to be disappointed with some deals and as you say, some of them turn out to be absolute gems.

Darin Jordan
12-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm just about there...

I just finished mocking up the steering system in this 3.5 WoodStuff and it's turning out (pardon the punn...) pretty nicely... The goal on this, like with the TS-2 I did, was to make it a direct conversion, without having to cut out the hull at all, so that's why the radio box is still a drop-in... I figured it would make Nitro guys more likely to want to give it a try if they could just drop in a new radio box to convert it... The only other mod I decided to make on this one was to cut down the top of the transom to allow more room for the steeing... Seems the FE stuff has the steering arms down lower than on the Nitro boats... This part of the transom wasn't being used even for the nitro stuff, so not a huge mod... just about 20-seconds in my benchtop belt sander!!

I decided to try using a pull-pull cable system that I purchased from James Clegg at www.ovalexpressracing.com (http://ovalexpressracing.com/hardware.html )... Comes with most everything I needed...

In this hull... the batteries really needed to go all the way to the back to get the balance right, so in order to make room, I wanted to get the steering system OUT of the way... So, I'm ditched the solid rods, moved the steering servo WAY into the nose, then ran the cables out the side of the box... I still have to do the finishing touches, like add some guides to the rear of the box for the cables to ride in, but otherwise, the mock-up is about how it will be... I think it's going to work great...

The steering servo is mounted on a mounting plate made of ply, then it slides into the rails in the nose and is pinned in place...

I'll post more as I get closer to done... This one will be aimed for our P-OPC Spec class, using the SV27 power system on 4S1P...

More to come...

Darin Jordan
12-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Here are a few more... :thumbup1:

SJFE
12-22-2007, 11:58 AM
That is such a beautifull tunnel. I really shouldent keep staring @ it. Nothing good will become of my bank accounts if I do...lol

Flying Scotsman
12-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Nice work Darin. I presume the Oberto colour scheme?

Darin Jordan
12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Nice work Darin. I presume the Oberto colour scheme?

Thanks...

I'll fit some "Oberto-ish" scheme in there somewhere... but it'll just be in the form of some accents and maybe a decal or two... I really like the look of the wood... but then, I have to stick with tradition! ;)

txboatpilot
12-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Boat looks fantastic Darin!! Cant wait to see some of those still "in motion" pictures, that i have seen of your other Oberto crafts..... That hull is a real beauty!!

crazzy maxx
12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
boat is comming along spectacular:buttrock:
this makes me want to turn my nirto tunnel into FE:unsure:

Darin Jordan
12-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey gang... I think I have the steering system finalized now... I've been concerned about crimping the wire with the ferrels included with the kit, as it makes installing the cable kind of a one-time shot, but I figure out a use for those steering rod end-links that come with the TS-2 kits! I opened up the hole just slightly so two cable-diameters would fit, then ground off the little pin and made these removable "ferruls"... They are very secure and should allow for cable adjustments, etc., should they be needed...

The nylon guides at the back of the radio box are just landing gear straps from Dubro, mounted upside down... I think they'll work fine for now...

Next step is to mount the radio gear and get the tubes installed in the back to run the motor leads through... Stay tuned! ;)

Darin Jordan
12-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Here are a couple more shots that show how I'm handling running the power leads out to the motor... and the water cooling for the ESC...

The SV27 ESC, with my own cooling plates, is sitting on top of a pair of 2S1P 4350mah PolyRC 20C Lipos... There is plenty of room there for a single larger 4S1P pack if I go that route... With all the cell weight back there, the balance point is around 8" from the back of the sponsons, which I think will close... 30% would be 8.4" and I still have the RX to put toward the front... so I should be able to get it close... If I need more weight in the back, I'll just have to add a touch of lead...

The wires will be sealed with heat shrink tubing...

I think I should have this one about ready to add some color to before the end of the week... Then I can get started on my new N2-Sport... or P-Mono... or N2-Mod Tunnel... or..... ;)

Darin Jordan
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
It's FINISHED!! FE Conversion complete... On to the next project!

Darin Jordan
01-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Here are some shots of the business side of things...

steveo
01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
very clean set up now that makes me want to get one , i have a bby tunnel but never could get it to perform, i dont know why, anyway great job

obrien
01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
are there plans available for the wood stuff hull?

SJFE
01-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Darin I am seeing the ride pads extend shightly past the hulls end. Would I be wise to copy this when I do mine?

Darin Jordan
01-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Darin I am seeing the ride pads extend shightly past the hulls end. Would I be wise to copy this when I do mine?

Yes... Just a tad, though... Just enough to allow the water to break free of the hull cleanly... If you can leave the pads overhanging the non-trips as well (sides of the sponsons), that would be good too... Don't worry, it won't trip on these, and it will help the boat corner with more speed... I got an earful of this kind of advice from someone I trust to know... so once you get started, we should talk on the phone and I'll try to let you know what I know about making the hull work better... ;) But it sounds like you are on the right track... :thumbup1:

SJFE
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks Darin :D I'll PM you my digits here in a bit. I was checking out the extended surfaces inside the front of the sponsens and on the nose.This mix of hydro and aerodynamics is fascinating. I eat this stuff up.

fastbaltek
01-17-2008, 12:51 AM
hey, whats the clear coat on the tunnel? it looks very nice.

peells
01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Nice Retro fit, and you are doing a great job I watched some of your videos nice fast boats I am looking forward to seeing a video of your maiden voyage!
I live in northern Calif. but our company "Unity Electric" does buisness in Renton, and in the surrounding areas, Have you heard of this company?

peells
02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Great Job on the retro fit I am excited to hear or watch a video of it running... I know I know you have to wait until the rain quits, Our company does a lot of work in that area (electrical) and we always know what the weather has in store for you guys up in your area! we do all the design work here in Shasta Lake, CA which is about 10 miles from my house. keep us all posted after you get her up and on the water, If it is anything like the videos I have watched of your other boats it should fly!!!

Yours in the sport,

Darin Jordan
03-15-2008, 07:57 AM
I had a Lawless drive that I received on another tunnel that is being updated right now, so I thought I'd see what the difference in performance was between it and the REK lower. I've completed the FE concenversion and have it all mounted up on my WoodStuff and am heading to the lake in about an hour for the first PSFEMBC practice race/test day of the season... We'll see how she does...

SJFE
03-15-2008, 08:55 AM
What a nice looking peice of hardware. Good luck Sir!

peells
03-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Looks Great, nice piece of hardware, and get a video plus kick some serious butt with that hand made hull, ( gotta keep the intrest up on that kind of stuff) You saw my hand made hull I have been working on I got the hatch built and strightened (it warped during some point in construction) lots of weight and some water and a couple of days fixed it. so now all I have to do is finish sand it and out to the garage for a resin coat yeah buddy!! any way enjoy your race I hope you kill the competition.

Darin Jordan
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey Guys... it's been awhile since I've reported on my WoodStuff...

Since I last posted here, I have redone the radio box to make it the full depth of the hull, allowing me to lower the batteries down 3/4" or so. I've also switched to a ProBoat BJ26 Motor and ESC.

I ran the EagleTree in it this past Saturday during the NorthWest Outboard Championship races in Centralia, WA. It's nice to really see what's going on, what effects prop changes have, etc... The chart below is a graph of the speeds and battery temps for the final heat. 1/6th mile course, 6-laps...

Jimmy Sterling
04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi Darin,

Wondering where you had the temperature sensor mounted on the battery to recieve that data on your Eagle Tree ?

Thanks

Darin Jordan
04-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Darin,

Wondering where you had the temperature sensor mounted on the battery to recieve that data on your Eagle Tree ?

Thanks

I had the end of the Temp sensor taped to the side of the pack, so it's just measure surface temps... Would be interesting to fit one down under the heat-shrink right alongside the cells...

Jimmy Sterling
04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I am going to set up my DX3S telemetry gear for this weekends race meeting and fit the temperature probe between the two middle cells in my EA Mono, Should be interesting.

peells
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice stats, How did you place? and was that motor temp or battery? I am thinking motor.

Darin Jordan
04-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Just been analyzing some of the other data from earlier test runs on Saturday... Here is a test using a different prop than the previous chart. I chose not to race with this one, because it's not refined enough yet and the handling wasn't quite right yet...

http://gallery.offshoreelectrics.com/albums/userpics/10044/WS_test2_04182009_speed_temp.jpg

peells
04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Was your temp off the motor? and are you able to check your amp draw? Are you running 4s2p? or 2 4s1p packs in parallel? The speed increase is very noticable on this test and your temps look pretty good as well.

peells
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Sorry about the temp question (DURR)

Darin Jordan
04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Sorry about the temp question (DURR)

No problem... the temp in this is actually Battery temps... I haven't run a prop outside the cowl yet to monitor the motor. I'll do that next time out.

The setup is 4S1P Elite 5300mah pack, ProBoat ESC and Motor.

Yes, I do have the amp-draw charts as well, but I'm going to keep those and the specifics of the props I'm testing close to the vest for now. I don't know what the longevity of this setup is going to be, and don't want to get people out there trying them until I have more time on the system. You can't just buy the props we're using anyhow... except as a raw starting point.