PDA

View Full Version : laying CF on a hatch / radio signal interference

ozboater
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
received my CF cloth today so i m in the build mode... got it from ebay and it looks sweet... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370249802758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

highly recommend this seller... can t wait to see the results...

anyway, the hatch of my DF29 is a little anemic and i d like to strengthen it up a bit... i was thinking about laying up a single layer of CF on the hatch to strengthen it... i know it ll add weight but i m a sport boater and i d rather have my hull a little heavier and know i ll have the strength to thrash this thing... i m going to lay up CF on the floor of the hull but i m concerned about the hatch... i read somewhere that CF can interfere with radio signals... is this true and if so would lining the hatch with CF be a bad idea ??

if so i ll probabally just go ahead and layup a single layer of fiberglass..

thanks

oz

bonewar
09-14-2010, 06:39 AM
OZ,

Mate i think a layer of light glass cloth and resin will do the job.

Then you don't have to worry about the interference from the carbon.

Bonewar :rockon2:

ozboater
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
cheers bonewar... i was thinkin that that was the best way to tackle it...

just layed up the transom of the df29 in cf... turned out real nice.. went to school on your technique in another thread here... cheers, some good advice.. been laying glass up for a while... preping boats reminds me of the good and bad times of surfboard repair... :buttrock:

:beerchug:

RCKong
09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Yea, go with the glass. I've experienced CF radio issues before - not good.

mappo
09-14-2010, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=ozboater;228871]received my CF cloth today so i m in the build mode... got it from ebay and it looks sweet... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370249802758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

highly recommend this seller... can t wait to see the results...

anyway, the hatch of my DF29 is a little anemic and i d like to strengthen it up a bit... i was thinking about laying up a single layer of CF on the hatch to strengthen it... i know it ll add weight but i m a sport boater and i d rather have my hull a little heavier and know i ll have the strength to thrash this thing... i m going to lay up CF on the floor of the hull but i m concerned about the hatch... i read somewhere that CF can interfere with radio signals... is this true and if so would lining the hatch with CF be a bad idea ??

if so i ll probabally just go ahead and layup a single layer of fiberglass..

thanks

Hey go with the carbon, but isolate the antenna from the carbon or you will have some interference with it.
:buttrock:

bonewar
09-15-2010, 05:57 AM
cheers bonewar... i was thinkin that that was the best way to tackle it...

just layed up the transom of the df29 in cf... turned out real nice.. went to school on your technique in another thread here... cheers, some good advice.. been laying glass up for a while... preping boats reminds me of the good and bad times of surfboard repair... :buttrock:

:beerchug:
Oz,

Funny you say that.
I'm originally from Manly in Sydney.
Love the surfing , But back then couldn't repair a board with glass if my life
depended on it. :lol:
Had a bit of practice since then.
Got a few skills now. :rockon2:

Right 'o' ,
Lets see this carbon work of your's.

Thanks mate.

ozboater
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
nice, i m from s/w wa... transom is done... floor is next... i ll post a couple of shots of the finished result... picked up a cheapo little roller yesterday for the floor... sounds like a great idea...

cheers

oz

ozboater
09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
she turned out nice... the CF frays like mad but she looks pretty neat... structurally it has made a huge difference... pretty stoked with the results... the roller is the way to go... cheers bonewar

overall a decent first attempt... harder to lay than fiberglass, thats for sure...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/partsbara/0917101618-00.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/partsbara/0917101618-01.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/partsbara/0917101619-00.jpg

bonewar
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Oz,

The carbon work you did looks sick mate.

Well done. :thumbup1:

If your worried about the frayed edges , just get a little brush with some black paint
and paint the edge of the carbon , to achieve the perfect look.

A little trick with the carbon is to use masking tape on the edges to stop it fraying.
Then when the carbon is almost cured you cut the tape off for a very clean look.

Nice work mate. :rockon2:

johnf
09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
That looks great!

ozboater
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
cheers lads... it ll look good goin 50mph anyway :) good from far, far from good - that kinda deal... :)

not to worried about the fraying... i stoked how much strength the hull has gained... the bottom was flexy as before... now she s golden...

bonewar = when your saying you 'cut the tape off' after she has cured for a bit, are you cunnting with a exacto knife or something similar ?? that thread on CF somewhere here was a great help... thanks to yaself and all of the others - great info..

got the stinger mounted today and ordered the turnigy 180 :rockon2: