PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Cool your electrics before runs.

rearwheelin
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Hear is how I pre cool my boat before I run it in hot set up. Put some ice water in a weed sprayer and circulate a gallon threw your system, also is a great way to flush salt water away and undesirable water. It is a great way to cool everything off after a run and if you have multiple packs you can run sooner .:beerchug:

Havasufun
04-16-2011, 08:22 PM
"Cool" thinking, thanks. Havasu water gets pretty warm in the summer.

jac4412
04-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure how advisable it is to run water close to 0 degrees through a system prior to a run... or even after it for that matter. Electronics always work most efficient under warm or even hot conditions, I'm sure rapid cooling and heating might not be the best thing to do on an ESC.

Jeff Wohlt
04-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Guess you never saw the performance gain from cooling brushed motors prior to running. Can't say about BL motors but cooling and not freezing them is not bad.

What I would watch is something being real warm and then hitting it with cold water which = condensation.

jac4412
04-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Haha never said anything about the motors Jeff... Worried about the ESC. If the heating and cooling wasnt rapid it would be fine but youre getting a cold system suddenly being run hot... that's a big change for those electronics. Especially for an ESC which we know can be extremely sensitive under certain conditions.

hyrulejedi86
04-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I actually use a fuel pump ment for Gassers to pump lakewater throught the system while sitting on the shore/dock to continue to cool the electronics for the next run.

HOTWATER
04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Guess you never saw the performance gain from cooling brushed motors prior to running. Can't say about BL motors but cooling and not freezing them is not bad.

What I would watch is something being real warm and then hitting it with cold water which = condensation.

:iagree:

Boaterguy
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I actually use a fuel pump ment for Gassers to pump lakewater throught the system while sitting on the shore/dock to continue to cool the electronics for the next run.
The only ones I've seen use the exhaust to power it, is yours electric?

JimClark
08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
a car window washer pump might work also

Fluid
08-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I actually use a fuel pump ment for Gassers to pump lakewater throught the system while sitting on the shore/dock to continue to cool the electronics for the next run. Hahahaha! Good one for this summer (I know the post was made in April). Our lake water is 90*F+ on the surface :flammes-09: It doesn't "cool" much of anything....:nopity:

:flashfire: :flashfire: :flashfire:

Darin Jordan
08-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Mark Beatty, with Classic Thunder, used an electric IV pump and a small radiator in one of his new 1/10th scales to build a fully closed cooling system. The radiator is recessed into the center of the tunnel. I think he turns the pump on with the third channel.

Haven't heard how it works, but it sure looked like it should...

Boaterguy
08-18-2011, 08:36 PM
a car window washer pump might work also
my car junyard says they don't just pull out of cars, although I know multiple people who do it

1truckerdan
08-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Most windshield washer pumps are on the plastic fluid tank.
daniel

Boaterguy
08-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I'll try to get a pic and show the guy

JimClark
08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
You used to be able to just buy the pumps from the auto parts store

Boaterguy
08-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I think I might go to Canadian tire, who knows, i'll look around

lectriglide
08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I have one of these but it pumps fast. I thought about getting a small cooler to hold ice and water with a detachable rack to hold the boat sideways and just recirculate the water, but eventually I settled for the old fashioned manual plastic soda bottle with tubing.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_399_518/products_id/16947/n/Hangar-9-Electric-Fuel-Pump

Just remember to pay attention, don't get distracted, and re-connect the tubing to the pickup or else :flashfire:(ask me how I know).

magnum500sw
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
the trouble with a washer pump is i think theres too much pressure . the little suckers under full 12v really cook . i think the pressurizsed weed/bug sprayer would be great . no other support gear to make it work .

1truckerdan
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
I wonder if it was run at the rx voltage(5v-7v) instead of 12v if it would make the pressure more usable?
Daniel

graill
08-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Mark Beatty, with Classic Thunder, used an electric IV pump and a small radiator in one of his new 1/10th scales to build a fully closed cooling system. The radiator is recessed into the center of the tunnel. I think he turns the pump on with the third channel.

Haven't heard how it works, but it sure looked like it should...

Any links to any pics?

Aweb25
07-03-2016, 01:18 PM
I used a glow fuel pump in my gas boat hooked to a momentary switch I rigged up on the throttle rod so when the throttle is off the motor kicks in, I did have it on a 3rd channel but I didn't like the possibility of someone forgetting to turn it on and it pumped alright at 6v and the weight it added was negligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk