PDA

View Full Version : Bad Kitty! Stop bouncing!!!

igottalongone
09-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I see alot written about the MG "bouncing" most times it's just a set-up issue...
Take your hull, loaded with packs. canopy, etc, etc and see where your CG is... Your "sweet spot" is 9" forward from the transom. That's 9" from the back of the boat, not the hardware. If your boat balances, your stylin, my guess is it ain't even close! I had to build up longer battery trays, almost to the transom to move my packs back.. Once you get it to balance, make sure the top of your strut is flat, level and flush with the top of the mount, same with the rudder. See how it run's, if your bouncing play with the strut angle, but,, do not give the stut positive angle to force the nose down, this will cause bouncing! Do just the opposite, lift the nose a little and air your kitty out... The hull wants to fly, thats what they do best... Once she's running good wide open (close... but not too close to blowing over), you can do tiny adjustments with weight, TINY adjustments...
C-Ya at the Lake!
~~~~~~~***-
Ron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqY7NHhfPrs

Doby
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Sweet running boat, What prop?

igottalongone
09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
running a X642 in this vid, and not taxing motor at all. The esc will need to go away to see top speeds from these boats, I'm getting spikes over twice the rated amprage. I'm gonna run her till it pops
: )

AndyKunz
09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Ask Darin how far above the rating he has run the ESC...

Proboat does the same thing I did with my RC-Hydros.com ESCs for years. Under-rate them so that if anybody ever blows one up, you can be pretty sure they were WAY over the top.

Andy

igottalongone
09-11-2010, 09:57 PM
yo Andy, are you the guy who built the RCHydro controlers?

AndyKunz
09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Yup.

Andy

Brushless55
09-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Nice looking run :rockon2:

blackcat26
09-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Ron, welcome to the Forum my friend. Thank you for posting your results to help us out. Batteries back, opposite of what everyone else was suggesting.

Darin Jordan
09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Batteries back, opposite of what everyone else was suggesting.

Yup... Thanks for posting these results guys. This is the opposite of what worked on the sample boat, but it didn't have the concavity on the ride pads, so I'll be interested in watching to see how the setups go for those who are blueprinting the bottoms.

ALMOST have the perfect RTR package here... just need to see if we can get the manufacturer to do something about getting the ride pads to cure true.

Keep up the great setup threads, guys... this is fun.

blackcat26
09-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Darin the paint is dry and should have some runs on her today. Can't wait to see what flat pads do!

Darin Jordan
09-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Darin the paint is dry and should have some runs on her today. Can't wait to see what flat pads do!

Hopefully, it makes it BETTER, not worse!! :glare: :bounce:

blackcat26
09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah really. Surely it will be better. I was cringing the whole time sanding down the beautiful yellow/green on her.

Darin Jordan
09-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah really. Surely it will be better. I was cringing the whole time sanding down the beautiful yellow/green on her.

I know... but they are ride pads... if anyone is looking at those... your setup still isn't correct! ;)

jac4412
09-12-2010, 02:57 PM
igot did you run it on the stock prop? I'm curious what the esc rating is under that, running an x642 shouldnt change it that much....

Diesel6401
09-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for adding your findings Ron.

dana
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Yup... Thanks for posting these results guys. This is the opposite of what worked on the sample boat, but it didn't have the concavity on the ride pads, so I'll be interested in watching to see how the setups go for those who are blueprinting the bottoms.

ALMOST have the perfect RTR package here... just need to see if we can get the manufacturer to do something about getting the ride pads to cure true.

Keep up the great setup threads, guys... this is fun.

what ive noticed is heat from curing process or paint curing causes fiberglass to warp. do they bake the finish on?

Boomer
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey Ron,
Very good stuff! I am going to put your intel to work on my MG right away. It appears you were running running a X642, like to know the batteries you were running.

Darin
I am very happy with my MG. I started out with 2s 5000 30c lipos, stock prop. When ever I get my replacement flex shaft, I like to try out another prop or two. Ron was running a x642 which appeared to be a good choice, any other suggestions?

One of the first things I checked was the bottom of my boat, sure enough there are concavities on the ride pads. We used to call that a "hook" back in the day, mostly because we couldn't spell "concavity. Anyway it is not too bad and not to hard to correct. Proboat has no touch up paint. I suggested to the tech support group last week it would be a good to have some to sell to us. Could be a good source of new revenue to boot. This a popular color in the safety business, but I have not found an exact match yet.

I will be interested to see how blackcat26 runs with flat pads! I have to say my first laps on my MG were pretty darn good. I put my batteries a bit forwar of the BP as it was a bit windy, and not knowing the boat, I opted for safety. It wasn't bow heavy really. I am going to try Ron's suggestions, the video was pretty telling that whatever he had done, was working. :cool2:

I was surprised at the small rooster tail on his boat. Interesting. No matter the development team did a great job on this one! Thank you.

I am in contact with a number RC FE guys and they are all either ordering one or seriously consider it. My guess is will be a winner for Proboat.:thumbup1:

Ok here is one last question. How about trim tabs on cats in general and specifically on Miss G? I attached a few pictures of some RC boat trim tabs. I like the long ones best. Your thoughts are invited.

Thank you.
Boomer

ray schrauwen
09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice run Ron.

Trimmed out nicely, thank you for sharing :buttrock:

I think I would keep the ride pads hook, I like the way it runs in the video.

Almost thought it was designed that way for stability.

igottalongone
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Boomer...
I'm running 45C 5000mah 2S Hyperion packs, the 642 I'm running is thinnned and cupped...

in-d-boat
09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
All I can say is, what a great boat. I have to admit I was a little more than apprehensive about running it. A person reads about the wrong cable, the servo problems, and the bouncing issue. All valid problems, I'm sure.. I did change the flex cable and left everything else stock. I'm not part of the Lipo scene....yet, so I used some well used 3000 MAH NiMh's. Even with the junky batteries it ran really well. Balanced at 10 inches from the transom. Very smooth, no bouncing. Radio worked flawlessly. Turned onna dime. Reasonably fast. About 5 minutes of run/fun time. And didn't sink! I know it wasn't running as fast as it could without the big league batteries in it, but still ran excellent! Maybe I just got lucky! I have a x642 to try next, and some new 5000MAH batteries that should be here tomorrow. I hate to buy lipos this late in the season, just to have them sit around all winter. I need opinions on the best kind of lipos to buy and the best charger/balancer to get. but that's for another thread. Maybe next year...I hope.

A very short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAy-FTMpv_Q

In-d-boat

blackcat26
09-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Hey Ron, what voltage were you running in the video? It was not 4s unless you changed the motor out.

blackcat26
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Oops didn't see your answer 2 posts up. You are getting 10 miles an hour faster than me. That prop must be pretty trick bro!

igottalongone
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
@blackcat26
It's a very aggresive prop, but I'm running it really shallow, allowing me to spin it at the max rpm. The water was dead calm yesterday and I GPS'd Her at 46.3 I had gun readings the last time out up to 50 flat, but I trust my GPS over the gun.... The first couple passes with those 45C Hyperions are sick! I was loving my 40C TP packs, but the Hyperions are lighter and stronger... I've hit amp spikes to 94amps with the stock esc and haven't popped it yet!

blackcat26
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I know props are top secret to some people but would you be kind enough to post some picture of yours? That is truely some impressive speeds on 4s!

Fluid
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Because the motor in the MG has a low Kv it requires a lot of prop pitch to see high speeds. Props which worked with the BJ should work well with the MG.

The UL-1 motor has a much higher Kv and gives higher speeds with the same prop....but it can also overheat and blow stock ESCs. I datalogged my UL-1 motor in a DarkHorse hydro with an x445 and got average amp draws of over 90 amps. Peak amps were well over 120. It ran cooler and about as fast with an m440 - average amps were under 80. This particular motor needs a smaller diameter prop and may not work too well for general use in the MG. The new 1800 Kv motor in the Stiletto on the other hand..... :closedeyes:

Diesel6401
09-13-2010, 09:57 PM
The new 1800 Kv motor in the Stiletto on the other hand..... :closedeyes:

I was thinking that also 1800kv would be a good target for this boat. I was eyeing up the stiletto motor prior to receiving my MG knowing that I would want to bump up to a 1800kv motor, but the $98 price tag on that motor steered me away, I then thought about the new sv27r 6 pole 1800kv motor. Designed the same as the ul-1 motor but with a lower kv rating for about $30 less. As of right now I am sticking with my stock power in my mg and running 4s for sport and 5s for serious fun with a x642, bec disabled. Just my 2 cents. After running stock I will run it this way for a while.

ron1950
09-13-2010, 10:06 PM
diesel where do u put the 4 cell in the mg?

ray schrauwen
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
diesel where do u put the 4 cell in the mg?

2S x2 side trays.

Diesel6401
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Yea what ray said. 2x 2s in series for 4s or 1 3s & 1 2s in series for 5s. 36mph on 4s, 46.4 on 5s both with a x642. Vid in my signature. After seeing the potential on 5s its why I am not rushing to change the stock power yet.

I am in the process of setting up telemetry in my MG right now :thumbup1:

Boomer
09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Mr. D (Diesel6401)
What is a good price for a x642 prop? Do they all have the same shaft size, or do you have to specify the shaft size? Last one, suggestion on where to buy a x642 to fit Miss G?
(New guy questions. Sorry)

I really enjoyed your videos. In particular the Crash 1 vid. Your boats all seem to be exceptionally fast, so I am wondering if the reason or one reason, for all the flips might be due, at least in part, to your boats running on the "bleeding edge" of the hulls capability? I am sure wind and water conditions are major factors, but the Genesis flip was curious. I was not able to detect any obvious reasons for the boat's "short flight". I have seen other vids of this boat where they looked to be very stable at high speeds. They did show a propensity for torque lift or pitch.

Since I will have mine next week, I would be very interested in your thoughts on correcting torque lift on this boat. My Miss G doesn't exhibit this trait, maybe ever so slightly, but not much.

Don't want to high jack the thread, perhaps you could respond via PM, so as not to disturb the continuity of the thread. Great stuff
Boomer

tman52804
09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
So, to run a 2s and 3s pack, you need the batteries to be the same mah and c rating, plus disable the BEC?

Diesel6401
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Mr. D (Diesel6401)
What is a good price for a x642 prop? Do they all have the same shaft size, or do you have to specify the shaft size? Last one, suggestion on where to buy a x642 to fit Miss G?
(New guy questions. Sorry)

I really enjoyed your videos. In particular the Crash 1 vid. Your boats all seem to be exceptionally fast, so I am wondering if the reason or one reason, for all the flips might be due, at least in part, to your boats running on the "bleeding edge" of the hulls capability? I am sure wind and water conditions are major factors, but the Genesis flip was curious. I was not able to detect any obvious reasons for the boat's "short flight". I have seen other vids of this boat where they looked to be very stable at high speeds. They did show a propensity for torque lift or pitch.

Since I will have mine next week, I would be very interested in your thoughts on correcting torque lift on this boat. My Miss G doesn't exhibit this trait, maybe ever so slightly, but not much.

Don't want to high jack the thread, perhaps you could respond via PM, so as not to disturb the continuity of the thread. Great stuff
Boomer

You have a PM

Diesel6401
09-15-2010, 02:01 PM
So, to run a 2s and 3s pack, you need the batteries to be the same mah and c rating, plus disable the BEC?

Bingo, I try to use the same brand as well. And try and make sure the packs are around the same number of cycles.

tman52804
09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
What brand packs do you typically run?

Diesel6401
09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
What brand packs do you typically run?

Turnigy & zippy packs from hobbycity.com

I also have a pair of 4000mah 25c tenergy packs that I really like because their so small compared to the turnigy/zippy packs. Also nice thing about the turnigy packs is you can buy them at amazon.com and quick shipping and they are nicely priced. The tenergy packs I have are on sale for $39.99ea at amazon right now. For a vid in action I used them in my h&m because of their size. Check my H&m no step video in my signature,

ron1950
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
cool thing about diesels crash vid is only diesel survived the boat drivers involved had to be put away lol

Boomer
09-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I am running a pair of 2s 5000 30c GForce that were $33.00 each + shipping and sales tax the same place has GForce 30C 4000mAh 2S 7.4V LiPO •146mm X 50mm X 15mm, 230 grams •30C discharge @ $27.50 each

Are the ones you are buying 2 cells, or 4 cells. I can't tell?
The place I got my batteries from is near Chicago. valuehobby.com

Thanks for all your help
Boomer

Diesel6401
09-15-2010, 11:05 PM
cool thing about diesels crash vid is only diesel survived the boat drivers involved had to be put away lol

Nobody seen nothin' :spy: lol

I am running a pair of 2s 5000 30c GForce that were $33.00 each + shipping and sales tax the same place has GForce 30C 4000mAh 2S 7.4V LiPO •146mm X 50mm X 15mm, 230 grams •30C discharge @ $27.50 each

Thanks for all your help
Boomer

I have 2s, 3s & 4s packs. In the geico I run 2s+ 2s or 2s + 3s. All my set-ups at this time are 4s or 5s set-ups I haven't moved higher up the food chain just yet.

tman52804
09-16-2010, 09:36 AM
That's not a bad price, are the Gforce batteries holding up good?

Thanks for all your help
Boomer

jnation89
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
i bought a set of gforce and they were good at first...but i only had them for about 3 months at the most and they have definetly got slower....and last weekend i had a cell go bad so now im trying to decide between more cheapos or some expensive ones.

tman52804
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
So far, I've had good luck with Venom lipos.

igottalongone
09-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Hyperion!!!!!!

Boomer
09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Guys
I haven't had the batteries long enough to make any kind of a judgement. They were priced right and were recommended by a knowledgeable RC buddy. That is the extent of it.
Time will tell. I have to buy more batteries for my Genesis, and the EKOS I just purchased, so I am open for good suggestions and any ideas on the best place to get um.
There are so many different brands, and places to buy them, to a newbie it can be a little confusing.
The batteries I listed above look good, and took a charge with no issues, so far so good.
Boomer

Diesel6401
09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Well made some battery extension trays and also added a small rx mount to the tray. I switched my rx over to a sr3300t, which I water-proofed and installed the telemetry heat sensor to my esc. Only thing that sucks is with the short wire on the rx the antenna is only about an inch out of the hull. I was able to walk about 20yards away on a radio check and it still worked so I hope i get enough range out of it. I still need to change the flex cable back over to the stock replacment I have. I have a hyperformence one in their now, but it's my backup emergency cable so no need to use it. I also need to drop the strut.

ron1950
09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Did you make new trays or just move your old ones I thought I'd use some floatation material to fit the battery into and leave the trays in place. Not sure yet. What everyone else doing ?

Boomer
09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Dale
I just ordered some aluminum servo mounting brackets/frames, and some aluminum push locking type cowl locks. I originally thought of these for my Genesis, because it has no latching devise built into it, but thought hey, if the magnets on the Miss G didn't hold in flip, it wouldn't be good, so I ordered them for both boats.

I think I saw the cowl locks on one of the guys Genesis on a Youtube video. I started a search for them and found them both on E-bay.
Boomer

Diesel6401
09-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Did you make new trays or just move your old ones I thought I'd use some floatation material to fit the battery into and leave the trays in place. Not sure yet. What everyone else doing ?

I left the original trays in place and made extenders that butt up against the stock ones and just made them a little longer and the I tacked them in place with ca glue in all 4 corners with a shot of ca accelerator then I used some 2 part epoxy on them to keep them in place for a long time. Came out pretty good I think.

Diesel6401
09-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Dale
I just ordered some aluminum servo mounting brackets/frames, and some aluminum push locking type cowl locks. I originally thought of these for my Genesis, because it has no latching devise built into it, but thought hey, if the magnets on the Miss G didn't hold in flip, it wouldn't be good, so I ordered them for both boats.

I think I saw the cowl locks on one of the guys Genesis on a Youtube video. I started a search for them and found them both on E-bay.
Boomer

Yea i've seen those cowl locks on a few boats they look cool as hell. That servo mount looks bada$$ as well.

scoota
09-26-2010, 05:33 AM
With some prop testing on miss-g , i found running a M445 prop took the bounce out of the hull with the batteries in there standard position .... I should add im running a 1515/1y cc/neu

ron1950
09-26-2010, 06:20 AM
thanks scoota now i have to put out another 50 bucks for a worked over m445 lol

scoota
09-26-2010, 06:40 AM
thanks scoota now i have to put out another 50 bucks for a worked over m445 lol

Or you could sit for hours on end working / sharpening & balancing a 14 buck M445 like i do LOL:olleyes:

ron1950
09-26-2010, 07:35 AM
naa ill let you spend countless hours working/ sharpening and balancing a m445 for me lol

ron1950
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
just ran the mg for the first time....wow.....seems much faster then the stiletto but may just be the excitment talking......haD stilletto prop on it......i had the bateries about 2/3 of the way back in the trays but didnt lower the strut...just wanted a base line to go from.....hoped like a bunnie lol but was really fun to run on glass water.....at about 2/3 throttle......did the 5 min lowering of the strut and got the rudder back stright( looks as if i tapped something with rudder)...ready for the next run tomorrow if i can get up that early...retirement is tough i tell ya!

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Ok some more pics. You can see the telemetry heat sensor wrapped around the caps on the esc. I choose the esc over the motor although I could quickly move the heat sensor over to the motor if I chose. I tried to wire 2 heat sensors into the 1 telemetry port using a "y" harness but that didn't work to good. The temp jumped up about 30 degrees with both hooked up then when I would disconnect 1 it would red room temperature. It was worth a shot I guess. Here's the issue I had with the super short antenna on the sr3300t rx, 2" out of the hull is the highest I could get it. I hope it's enough. Radio check was good for about 20yds.

tman52804
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
What did you do to waterproof that RX?

jac4412
09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
I thought darin said the rx was already waterproofed

tman52804
09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
No, not the telementry receiver that diesel put in his boat.

Darin Jordan
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Only the MR-series are "water resistant"... The SR series aren't...

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 12:10 PM
What did you do to waterproof that RX?

No, not the telementry receiver that diesel put in his boat.

I use this stuff, it has saved a tactic rx and a esc:

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Only the MR-series are "water resistant"... The SR series aren't...

Hey Darin you think my rx antenna is out of the hull far enough? You know how short the antenna on the sr's are.

Darin Jordan
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey Darin you think my rx antenna is out of the hull far enough? You know how short the antenna on the sr's are.

The boats I have SR's in still have the RX mounted up under the deck where the antenna exists to get it as far up as possible. Just needs to not be shielded by any major portion of the hull and it should work. I've NEVER had an RX issue with these in boats. Others have.

Brushless55
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I use this stuff, it has saved a tactic rx and a esc:

Same stuff I use bro! :beerchug:

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
The boats I have SR's in still have the RX mounted up under the deck where the antenna exists to get it as far up as possible. Just needs to not be shielded by any major portion of the hull and it should work. I've NEVER had an RX issue with these in boats. Others have.

Thank you for the details. It's as high as it can go, I made a different mount for it to get it as close to the antenna hole is it could.

Same stuff I use bro! :beerchug:

:rockon2:

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks Boomer...
I'm running 45C 5000mah 2S Hyperion packs, the 642 I'm running is thinnned and cupped...

Im running a s/b x642 and 2 7.4v 2s 45c 5400 mahOrion Carbon batteries and its not even close to running that fast. The motor is not as high pitched as in the video. I programmed it using the card even on high timing and it isnt even close to being that fast.

When i programmed it i followed the instructions, it beeped i plugged the servo lead back in and no throttle but steering only. In order for the throttle to work, i must turn off the boat, disconnect the batteries and turn it all back on and it all works.

What am i doing wrong? And one other thing, everytime i turn on the boat it beeps once, then sometimes it it beeps 2x4 beeps, not 1 beep and 5 after. I just contacted Horizon and there sending out a new esc. Can anyone help me please? Im so disappointed!!!

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Im running a s/b x642 and 2 7.4v 2s 45c Orion Carbon batteries and its not even close to running that fast. The motor is not as high pitched as in the video. I programmed it using the card even on high timing and it isnt even close to being that fast.

When i programmed it i followed the instructions, it beeped i plugged the servo lead back in and no throttle but steering only. In order for the throttle to work, i must turn off the boat, disconnect the batteries and turn it all back on and it all works.

What am i doing wrong? And one other thing, everytime i turn on the boat it beeps once, then sometimes it it beeps 2x4 beeps, not 1 beep and 5 after. I just contacted Horizon and there sending out a new esc. Can anyone help me please? Im so disappointed!!!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=18337
After you program and it beeps you have to disconnect the batteries before you plug it directly into the rx. You shouldn't just go from the program box directly to the rx while the power is still on. That's how I don it and it works for me. I ran 36mph on 4s and 46mph on 5s without changing anything other than the prop.

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
i gottalongones you tube video shows it running on 2s 5000mah and he says hes getting 46mph... is that true?

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=18337
After you program and it beeps you have to disconnect the batteries before you plug it directly into the rx. You shouldn't just go from the program box directly to the rx while the power is still on. That's how I don it and it works for me. I ran 36mph on 4s and 46mph on 5s without changing anything other than the prop.

I just programmed it as u stated and it after programming, initially turning the boat back on, i get the initial beep, then followed by 5x2 beeps. Any ideas?

Thanks

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 07:59 PM
I just programmed it as u stated and it after programming, initially turning the boat back on, i get the initial beep, then followed by 5x2 beeps. Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you read the link I posted about the beeps? Your not by accident plugging the lead into the rx upside down. I did that before with a SV and it just would constantly beep at me lol :doh:

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Did you read the link I posted about the beeps? Your not by accident plugging the lead into the rx upside down. I did that before with a SV and it just would constantly beep at me lol :doh:

Nope its in the right way. It beeps only 5 double beeps then stops and seems to work ok but im unsure...

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Nope its in the right way. It beeps only 5 double beeps then stops and seems to work ok but im unsure...

If it works then its fine. If something was wrong it wouldn't work. Just my thoughts.

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 08:07 PM
its just slower than my fastech... and it doesnt seem right

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 08:25 PM
its just slower than my fastech... and it doesnt seem right

Is your throttle curve set to "LINEAR" and not "LOGARITHM"?

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Is your throttle curve set to "LINEAR" and not "LOGARITHM"?

lipo
high cutoff
slowdown
brake off
timing high
linear curve

I read logarithm only goes 80% throttle

Diesel6401
09-29-2010, 08:29 PM
lipo
high cutoff
slowdown
brake off
timing high
linear curve

I read logarithm only goes 80% throttle

Yea it does, that's why I was asking.

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Yea it does, that's why I was asking.

it just must be a bad esc... No other reasoning. Clarification, program using card, esc beeps, disconnect batteries or turn off boat then disconnect batteries. then reconnect rx plug?

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I see alot written about the MG "bouncing" most times it's just a set-up issue...
Take your hull, loaded with packs. canopy, etc, etc and see where your CG is... Your "sweet spot" is 9" forward from the transom. That's 9" from the back of the boat, not the hardware. If your boat balances, your stylin, my guess is it ain't even close! I had to build up longer battery trays, almost to the transom to move my packs back.. Once you get it to balance, make sure the top of your strut is flat, level and flush with the top of the mount, same with the rudder. See how it run's, if your bouncing play with the strut angle, but,, do not give the stut positive angle to force the nose down, this will cause bouncing! Do just the opposite, lift the nose a little and air your kitty out... The hull wants to fly, thats what they do best... Once she's running good wide open (close... but not too close to blowing over), you can do tiny adjustments with weight, TINY adjustments...
C-Ya at the Lake!
~~~~~~~***-
Ron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqY7NHhfPrs

The motor sounds like its running on 5s not 4s. Is that true cause my boat is not as fast! Im running the same exact setup...

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Hey Ron,
Very good stuff! I am going to put your intel to work on my MG right away. It appears you were running running a X642, like to know the batteries you were running.

Darin
I am very happy with my MG. I started out with 2s 5000 30c lipos, stock prop. When ever I get my replacement flex shaft, I like to try out another prop or two. Ron was running a x642 which appeared to be a good choice, any other suggestions?

One of the first things I checked was the bottom of my boat, sure enough there are concavities on the ride pads. We used to call that a "hook" back in the day, mostly because we couldn't spell "concavity. Anyway it is not too bad and not to hard to correct. Proboat has no touch up paint. I suggested to the tech support group last week it would be a good to have some to sell to us. Could be a good source of new revenue to boot. This a popular color in the safety business, but I have not found an exact match yet.

I will be interested to see how blackcat26 runs with flat pads! I have to say my first laps on my MG were pretty darn good. I put my batteries a bit forwar of the BP as it was a bit windy, and not knowing the boat, I opted for safety. It wasn't bow heavy really. I am going to try Ron's suggestions, the video was pretty telling that whatever he had done, was working. :cool2:

I was surprised at the small rooster tail on his boat. Interesting. No matter the development team did a great job on this one! Thank you.

I am in contact with a number RC FE guys and they are all either ordering one or seriously consider it. My guess is will be a winner for Proboat.:thumbup1:

Ok here is one last question. How about trim tabs on cats in general and specifically on Miss G? I attached a few pictures of some RC boat trim tabs. I like the long ones best. Your thoughts are invited.

Thank you.
Boomer

I can match the paint... Im a paint and body engineer and have the ability to get the color matched using simply put, a camera attached to a paint system computer that can mix it to its closest match. But its automotive basecoat/clearcoat. Im going to repaint mine after straightening out the bottom and going to clear over the decals and block it smooth so u cant feel em, and some other personal touches. Im using the original color, once i get it, using mirror, not metallic, in the mid coat before the clear.

shotimes95
09-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I dont think it took the programming. Checked my lipos and there all at 6.9v which is not good. What u think?

ron1950
10-02-2010, 11:05 AM
just got back from the lake...couldnt run stiletto as water had a small chop so mg got a shot....was just a bit too choppy for mg also but had to try the new set up....642 just back for chuck that could cut bread) no noticable bounce with the strut down and new prop with batteries back about 2/3 way on trays.....no heat problem ....just a fast little boat i love it ......

quick question ....i have the program card but dont think i did it right as i didnt disconect the batteries if i was supposed to.....it only beeps one time five times in a row.....if linier is seclected is it suposed to beep 2 times five times in a row?

igottalongone
10-02-2010, 06:31 PM
@ shotimes95
Got your CG right? Got a good quality/tuned prop? How much time did you spend on the pads/hull? How much work did you do cleaning up the strut, rudder and bracket? RU running low? cause low is slow... My boat has a higher pitch because my prop is turning much faster than yours, but not because I'm running more volts than you... If you expect to see extreme performance from your RTR, your going to need to learn about RC boats... Your not going to take your RTR out of the box and compete with me, or anyone who has done the homework.. How much grease you apply to your cable can gain or lose you 1/4mph... People spend alot of time learning to tweek hulls/props/hardware... That's why places like OSE are a God send to newbies, it's a wealth of info... Search threads, soak it all in, but don't take any of it as gospel... read/read/read...
I run a 35 year old hobby shop (RC Hobbies in Waterford Michigan) so, I have a few years head start on you...
All the info you need is on the OSE site, you just need to do the homework...
C-Ya on the Lake...
~~~~~~~***-

ron1950
10-02-2010, 07:31 PM
chill dude......whats your problem

igottalongone
10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
@ron1950
Is your comment "chill dude.... whats your problem" directed at me?

ron1950
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
sure is....writeing doesent reflect sentament well, u may not be lecturing us all, but only saying read ..do your homework etc .....but i cant read that in your comments,,i took it as a lecture from a old fart that owns a hobby shop so he knows more that the rest of us....i am probbly wrong but i cant see that in your writing......i dont care how long u have been in the buisness....take a vacation to mississippi and we can go run the boats and u can show me how much faster your boat is then mine....oh ya ..i dont care if u got a long one either....why dont we just drop this and get back to the thread subject

ray schrauwen
10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
He actually explained how he achieved the speeds he claims, somewhere....

igottalongone
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
@ron1950
You are right about 1 thing... I am old as hell... I turned 44 this past month : (
If you re-read my post, you'll notice it was addressed Directly to "shotimes95" In one of his post he asked if my claimed gps reading was "true" in a later post he asked if I was being truthfull about the number of cells I was using... I was only expressing to "shotime95" that there is far more than meets the eye when is comes to fast RC boats.. That there is a TON to learn if you want to go faster than the next guy.. I'm sorry you felt lectured, but I don't understand why, since I was speaking to someone else... I don't lie or exagerate about the equipment I use or how it performs... When your good, you don't need to lie... RC Hobbies had some of the fastest 90 riggers in the world when we were big into racing, now I'm getting the company into fast electrics... So watch your water down there in mississippi, and yer girl's ; )

scoota
10-03-2010, 12:23 AM
:popcorn2:

cvlex
10-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Today I run my MG.

stock 1500KV motor
stock 45A ESC
OSE upgrade flex cable
Octura x642 prop
2xProTek 2S5000mAh 40C Li-Poly battery (hard case)
#I replaced stock Deans connector with XT60.

My club fellow Sadatoshi took a short vid the first run, 0:00 to 1:30 of the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeVBt8YM7b8

Full version of the first run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9NPpItInog

For keeping the CG at 230mm, it needs to install the batteries slightly afterward, so I glued two 40mm x 200mm x 1.6mm ply sheets with Velcro to the original battery trays.

My MG showed porpoising and it would be better to lower the strut slightly.

cvlex

AndyKunz
10-03-2010, 06:24 PM
@ron1950
You are right about 1 thing... I am old as hell... I turned 44 this past month : (

I remember being 44 ...

I think.

Andy

ron1950
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
i got underware that old....wish i was 44 again .......

hey cvlex i have the same set up as yours ...same prop and battery location and with strut down just to the top of the strut level with support bar and it took out all the bounce.....i think u will have a lot of fun after bounce is out...

ron1950
10-03-2010, 06:48 PM
:rockon2:[QUOTE=igottalongone; getting the company into fast electrics... So watch your water down there in mississippi, and yer girl's ; )[/QUOTE]

just about all the raceing down here is gas except for 4 or 5 of us...come on down.....the girls are on there own lol

igottalongone
10-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Andy! The ESC Guru!!!
I'm a huge fan of your work...
I hoard your ESC's like a Squirrel hoards nuts....
I run them on everything from "Spot", my retieval boat, to an "ole skool" Graupner Systems Cat running a worked over Graupner Ultra 1600...
I love punnishing my buddies with 80's technolgy, lol!
Your work is that of Legend, Congrats...
C-Ya on the Lake....
~~~~~~***-
Ron

cvlex
10-03-2010, 07:36 PM
i got underware that old....wish i was 44 again .......

hey cvlex i have the same set up as yours ...same prop and battery location and with strut down just to the top of the strut level with support bar and it took out all the bounce.....i think u will have a lot of fun after bounce is out...

Hi Ron1950,

Thank you so much for your help.
I wish to adjust the strut.

Thanks again,

cvlex

AndyKunz
10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Andy! The ESC Guru!!!
I'm a huge fan of your work...
I hoard your ESC's like a Squirrel hoards nuts....
I run them on everything from "Spot", my retieval boat, to an "ole skool" Graupner Systems Cat running a worked over Graupner Ultra 1600...
I love punnishing my buddies with 80's technolgy, lol!
Your work is that of Legend, Congrats...
C-Ya on the Lake....
~~~~~~***-
Ron

Glad to be of service. I still have a few left if you ever need any.

Andy

7500RPM
10-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, I took my Cat out today and NO MORE BOUNCING! all gone! I offset the rudder to the right hand side using Octura offset rudder mounts ( two of them, one for each bolt ) moved the rudder arm to the other side and everything fit Great! Cut a piece of plastic to take up the thickness of the original rudder mount so when you tighten the screws for the Octura standoffs you do not collapse the strut brackets. The only thing I had to do was to slot the holes for the rudder arm. The cat runs much better! faster in the corners and also in the straights! You have to do this! It is worth it for the extra speed you get!

ray schrauwen
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Well, I took my Cat out today and NO MORE BOUNCING! all gone! I offset the rudder to the right hand side using Octura offset rudder mounts ( two of them, one for each bolt ) moved the rudder arm to the other side and everything fit Great! Cut a piece of plastic to take up the thickness of the original rudder mount so when you tighten the screws for the Octura standoffs you do not collapse the strut brackets. The only thing I had to do was to slot the holes for the rudder arm. The cat runs much better! faster in the corners and also in the straights! You have to do this! It is worth it for the extra speed you get!

Any pictures??

Darin Jordan
10-03-2010, 11:14 PM

I did the same thing today... Definitely the way to go. Takes a little more steering input to make left hand turns, but still turns on a dime, and carries lots of speed in the turns. SIMPLE to make happen too.

My next experiment is going to be adding a second rudder on the left... same mounting idea as how I did it in my Raceprep thread, but using all-thread all the way through instead of bolts.

ray schrauwen
10-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Dual rudders huh? Neat!

johnf
10-03-2010, 11:21 PM
So did the bouncing stop for you also Darin? Btw, I finally got to see an mg in person today. You should be proud! Awesome boat.

7500RPM
10-03-2010, 11:27 PM
I will get some pictures for tomorrow, it's the Cat's @ss.
Darin, not sure about the dual rudders as mine turns Great both ways, could be the difference in offset you used compaired to the Octura mounts,

Darin Jordan
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Darin, not sure about the dual rudders as mine turns Great both ways, could be the difference in offset you used compaired to the Octura mounts,

Perhaps... mine turns great both ways too, but takes more input to turn to the left. Might be something that can be dialed up using the radios expo or travel/steering rate adjustments...

Dual rudders.... maybe... but only because it would look cool. If they slow me down, they're gone! ;)

I am, however, gathering the pieces to do one with DUAL OUTBOARDS!! :rockon2:

cvlex
10-04-2010, 06:57 AM
At the second run, we heard some hard snap and my MG suddenly stopped. The electric motor still worked but did not bring thrust to the boat at all.

Our club fellow Sadatoshi retrieved her with his RC tugboat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlK8HzMWuI

I checked my MG. The flex cable was came off from the coupler and the strut was moved upward about 5mm.

It may be inferred from these fact that the prop might hit something under the water, a fish, a turtle or ???, and the flex cable was pulled out.

cvlex

tman52804
10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I had a proboat replacement flex cable snap on me this weekend. Don't know why, but it twisted off about 1/8" about the solder joint.

How long are the Octura offset rudder mounts?