PDA

View Full Version : Miss Geico ESC programmed for Lipos?

tman52804
09-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Is the esc in this boat already programmed for lipos are does one need to buy the proboat programmer and program it prior to running lipos?

Diesel6401
09-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Is the esc in this boat already programmed for lipos are does one need to buy the proboat programmer and program it prior to running lipos?

Page 6 of the manual (http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB4100_User_Manual.pdf).

Note: The ESC is factory-set for use with
Ni-MH batteries

Be safe, get the card (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-prb3311&cat=75)

tman52804
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, I saw that, but then the esc manual said it was safe for all types. I guess that was a rather vague statement as it is safe when you program it correctly.

Oh well, my new flexshaft has been lost by USPS, so I wouldn't be able to run this weekend anyways.

AndyKunz
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
It is safe for all types: Just program it accordingly.

IF you don't run your batteries down to the bottom, you don't even need to reprogram the ESC. You can use a timer.

Andy

Diesel6401
09-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, I saw that, but then the esc manual said it was safe for all types. I guess that was a rather vague statement as it is safe when you program it correctly.

Oh well, my new flexshaft has been lost by USPS, so I wouldn't be able to run this weekend anyways.

All the programming to lipo does is turn on the LVC, which is just a safety feature that you should never rely on, always time your runs and you shouldn't hit the lvc. If you are you are always hitting the lvc you are running to long. Factory programming to lipo is not always good. If you dont use a good pair of nimh the lvc will always kick in, since it's recommended for both nimh and lipo the lvc should be off from the factory (which it is). The did it right. My point is you don't need the card to run lipo, just don't drain the cells to low or your screwed! (Like Andy said)

tman52804
09-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

chaddlee1978
03-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I have a question. I just bought the mystic 29 and when I pull the trigger all the way, it is going the same speed as when I pull it 3/4 ways. I read on the prb3311 programming module manual that it is only getting 80 or 85 percent power and with the card I can set it at linear and it will give me 100 percent power. Is there another way I can get all the power without the programming card? Thanks.

Chad

tin-man
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I had the same question. My boat came with the instruction booklet, and a sheet folded up. The sheet has a later print date than the booklet. The booklet states the ESC is pre programmed to run
with NiMh. The sheet says it is preprogrammed to run with LiPo. I was confused about this because we are being told 2 different things. I called Horizon hobbies (boat manufacturer) on this, and
was told that the Miss Geico is programmed at the factory to run LiPo batteries.

The programmer is not needed unless you want to tweak the ESC.