PDA

View Full Version : lipo cut off

cmunro
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
is the miss g esc programed for lipo cutt off? if so what is the voltage it cuts off at?

tman52804
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm reading you need to order the proboat programmer, which I think is silly. Who'd run this boat with nimh batteries?

Rumdog
09-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I've gotta think the boat came with an instruction manual, right?

tman52804
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes it did, but I'm not sure on whether it has to be programmed for lipo or not. I didn't think it did, but over on RCgroups I was told that it did indeed need to be programmed for lipo and it cannot be done manually. You must buy the proBoat programmer.

JimClark
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
And it is in the manual I have read it and I don't even have a one of these.

Here is another hint in acrobat reader you can open the manual and search for lipo to find your answer

JimClark
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
And it is in the manual I have read it and I don't even have a one of these.

Here is another hint in acrobat reader you can open the manual and search for lipo to find your answer

jac4412
09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
regardless if it is in the manuel or not, the "supported" batteries that online websites suggest for this model is normally lipos... Horizon Hobby is one example where the related items to get for this boat is a lipo... so assuming the vague print is neglected I'd assume a new buyer could assume lipos are safe to run... I have purchased the program card though ;)

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Lipo's are safe to run. The programming mode is to "PROTECT" YOUR batteries, that's it nothing else no hidden agenda or marketing scheme, it's not required to change your esc to "lipo" to make it work, its just highly recommended. Most programmable escs, castle, hifei, seaking all have programming cards or usb programmers. I like the fact I have that option to buy a programmer I wish I could program my aquacraft esc's. That would be awesome. They made a big note section at the top of the page that clearly explains: I am starting to agree more experienced guys that many new people just don't throughly read the manual (page 6) (http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB4100_User_Manual.pdf). Put it next to the toilet, maybe it will get read that way.

About your Speed Controller
Be sure to use a Programming Module
(PRB3311) to adjust the cutoff voltage when
using Li-Po batteries to protect against overdischarging
the batteries.Note: The ESC is factory-set for use with
Ni-MH batteries.

It doesn't say you must do this to make it work or if you don't change it to lipo your esc will fail it doesn't mention any of that it says: "TO PROTECT "your" BATTERIES AGAINST OVERDISCHARGING".

Seems people have a bad taste about the programming card and I don't see why it is such a big deal. I figure you spend maybe $75-$100 on lipo's probably more, I figure you may want to protect them. You have to buy a $20 lipo shied for a sv esc to protect against discharge so with proboat you buy a $20 card and you can change a bunch of setting I think it is a GREAT deal and option and makes this esc a good value. JMHO

jac4412
09-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh I agree that's why I just picked up a card

stringfly
09-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Very well said Diesel. Yes I have one also. Cheap insurance for my Fastech and my lipos. If 20.00 breaks you, you are in the wrong hobby.

Stringfly <>++++++

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I didn't mean to go on a rant, but everybody should read the manual front 2 back first before sticking their $350 boat in the water and firing off a bunch a questions that the manual clearly spells. JMHO guys, maybe I am being an a$$ i'm not sure, but some guys feel the same way which makes me feel better...

Very well said Diesel. Yes I have one also. Cheap insurance for my Fastech and my lipos. If 20.00 breaks you, you are in the wrong hobby.

Stringfly <>++++++

Thank you and good point as well!

jac4412
09-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh no D that's a perfect point, I don't know anyone personally who can afford to blow 350 bucks... 20 minutes of reading is light work

ron1950
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
after reading this thread i cant figure out why most of u are such wise a$$es as to not help this new guy.....it would not have taken but a minete to type that lipo's and nimh will work that the card just turns on the lipo cutoff....thanks diesel for helping him

tman52804
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
No kidding. I haven't been on here in a few days, but WOW.

after reading this thread i cant figure out why most of u are such wise a$$es as to not help this new guy.....it would not have taken but a minete to type that lipo's and nimh will work that the card just turns on the lipo cutoff....thanks diesel for helping him