PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy 180 + Tactic/Futaba Radio BEWARE!!

Shooter
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
NOTE: WE HAVE RECENTLY FOUND THAT THE PROBLEM OF "FULL THROTTLE when signal is lost" ONLY OCCURS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THROTTLE PROGRAMMING (i.e. FULL THROTTLE WHEN YOU PLUG IN BATTS AND NEUTRAL AFTER THE BEEP). MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG YOUR BATTS AFTER PROGRAMMING BEFORE RUNNING! Thanks for everyone's help on this one!

The turnigy 180 is a great controller (in my experience so far), but if programmed with throttle channel servo reverse in the "reverse" direction (as with most Tactic and Futba radios), it will give you FULL THROTTLE if signal is lost! This is the case with my tactic 2.4ghz radio and most likely all Futaba radios.

******Make sure you check yours by turning your radio off and monitoring throttle******

Vid of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVBXdSGXus

Rumdog
09-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Never had this happen. I use tactic, and futaba fhss radios with t18o's. Never had this issue.

Shooter
09-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Rum - Are you using the BEC in the controller? Or separate? Thanks.

Rumdog
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
No. I never run the internal bec on anything over 3s. I'll try it on the bench later to see what happens. I have ran out of range a couple times with the tactic, and it has stopped dead.

BakedMopar
09-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I use a tactic with the internal BEC and not had an issue. I have done some long range testing by shutting the tx off while WOT and she goes to neutral.

Shooter
09-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Rum - Let me know your findings with the internal BEC and 4S.

Baked - Thanks for the feedback. Not sure why it would be different for mine? Perhaps I have an older model? Who knows. I repeated the condition several times. I turned the controller off at half throttle and she spins up to WOT every time!

By the way, I run the same controller with the UL-1 controller and it functions fine. Controller off, right to neutral.

properchopper
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Just tested two T180 boats with Tactic Rx - shut off Tx and motor stops. Both have late model Rx's with early Tx. 4S setups with internal BEC - no probs with BEC to date, 'tho very early Seaking had the BEC quit , then the SC quit altogether-suspect water intrusion. My new ones have been siliconed just to be on the safe side. Longer runtimes @ 145 deg- but seem to be holding up fine as of now. Decent SC for the money, I'd say. :smile:

z400
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Never had a problem from my side either with the futaba 3pm 2.4 radio with the T180amp controllers.

Shooter
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
No doubt a great controller, I just wish I could figure out this quirk! I've been running one in a vegas with a 1515 1Y and (2) 4S 5000 packs. Even after running at partial throttle, this thing is cool as a cuke! I'll play around with it again tonight if I get some time. Sounds like I'm in the minority here.:confused2:

Rumdog
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, Shooter. Mine goes to neutral with signal loss. It is strange about yours. Who knows?!

Shooter
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Still perplexed by this. Here is a vid. If anyone sees an issue with what I'm doing, please LET ME KNOW!!!! I've tried (3) different tactic RX's. Same Issue.

The Prob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVBXdSGXus

The Fix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCo6WR06_do

longballlumber
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Just pissing into the wind here becuase I haven't used either.....

Do you think the throttle trim needs to be adjusted? It sure sounds like the controller is having touble knowing/understanding what neutral is... I've seen this happen with the Aquacraft controller and the Spektrum brand of contoller. The contoller would arm, but the motor would turn on when the controller was turned off. We finally nailed it down to the throttle trim on the radio needed some adjustment.... Just my $0.02

Later
Mike

Rumdog
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
You dont hold full throttle every time you power up do you?

Shooter
09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I played with the trim. No effect.

Ooooooh brother, YES....I typically hit full throttle when I plug in the batts to reprogram the controller everytime (habit). I just connected the batts (without full throttle) and it works just fine. :doh:

Can someone try theirs IMMEDIATELY after they program full throttle without disconnecting the batts just to confirm it goes to full throttle?? If this is the case, I'll add a note to the first post so nobody is mislead. Thanks!

Rumdog
09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
AHA! Yep that's it!

Shooter
09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
OutSTANDing!! Thanks for your help, bud.