PDA

View Full Version : Puffed Lipo

nomobux
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Turnigy 2S 5000 20/30C. It has approx 5 cycles max in a brushless Slash truck. It has been sitting for approx 4 weeks at a full or close to full charge. It has never been run to LVC and was putting about 2000 or less back into it. I just took it out and it has a very noticeable puff to it. Do I trash it, run it, try and charge it or ???? I'm reasonably new to Lipos. It was charged correctly on a balance tap charger. thank you

chuff
09-07-2010, 06:32 AM
It might be just the luck of the draw. I have had one Tunigy brand pack puff a single cell after the first charge - never got to run it, ever. The cell is now completely dead. But that is one pack out of 14, so I am not complaining.

Is it just one cell or the pack generally that has puffed? and did it puff after a run or after charging? If you still have good voltage on all cells it might be worth trying again provided you don't mind risking a small fire, but I suspect it is history.

They are pretty cheap now - just order a replacement ...

Also, the recommendation is to store at partial charge (3.7 v/cell or so I believe).

Chris

nomobux
09-07-2010, 07:49 AM
The pack looks generally puffed ( as in not one side ). It did not puff during a charge or running. It puffed while stored. I assume sitting 4 weeks or so while at a full or close to full charge was the mistake ?????

Fluid
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
While most pack sellers recommend long term storage at 50% charge (3.8-3.9 volts static) this just helps prevent loss of pack capacity. Storing for 30 days at full charge should not have much effect at all and by itself was not the reason for the puff. You just have to accept the fact that some of the cheap cells will fail for "unknown" reasons.