PDA

View Full Version : Real Plane hits RC 3D plane.

Diesel6401
09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
O man, bad day. I would straight fight this real pilot. Here's the Video (http://thebubble.msn.com/video/?id=e3734ba4-844c-42e3-8b5b-6e3c1b2b29b4)

Jeepers
09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
ok I watched this video several times, the first time I was like "holy crap" the second time I wondererd what was the guy doing on the radio looking toward the on coming full size plane just before it appears, combined with the fact that the 3D plane is now alot farther away from the camera, hmmmmm.........

Diesel6401
09-06-2010, 10:56 AM
ok I watched this video several times, the first time I was like "holy crap" the second time I wondererd what was the guy doing on the radio looking toward the on coming full size plane just before it appears, combined with the fact that the 3D plane is now alot farther away from the camera, hmmmmm.........

You thinking a fake? That would suck. I hate fake vids.

AndyKunz
09-06-2010, 11:42 AM
It's real. There are huge threads on RCGroups, RCUniverse, and Flying Giants as well as some of the full-scale forums. The FAA has said they'll have more info soon. Doesn't look good for anybody involved - screw-ups by FS pilot, RC pilot, RC spotter, air field, and air boss.

Andy

Jeepers
09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
You thinking a fake? That would suck. I hate fake vids.

No I don't think the video is fake, "staged" maybe? every body sure was "calm" every one I know would be cussing up a storm that video would be one long beep. I am more concerned why the guy was on the radio, that full size plane should not have been anywhere near that field. The local rc field here is situated in a no approach zone with the local airport.

What ever it is real or staged people are in huge trouble.

coming from high power model rocketry and what it takes just to get an altitude waiver to fly such rockets..... this is not good.

Jeepers
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
It's real. There are huge threads on RCGroups, RCUniverse, and Flying Giants as well as some of the full-scale forums. The FAA has said they'll have more info soon. Doesn't look good for anybody involved - screw-ups by FS pilot, RC pilot, RC spotter, air field, and air boss.

Andy

didn't see this post.

AndyKunz
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Get started here. It links to several other threads model and full-scale. It wasn't staged, it was a real incident and the FAA is involved :(

BTW, ignore the comments about it being a Pitts. It was an Acroduster.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295103

I'm surprised you didn't hear about it. Happened in CO.

Andy

Raydee
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll tell you what I think....the guy in the real plane hit the RC plane on purpose. It looked like he turned right into it on purpose.

Jeepers
09-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Get started here. It links to several other threads model and full-scale. It wasn't staged, it was a real incident and the FAA is involved :(

Andy

Thanks for that Andy. nope I didn't hear anything about this. not good.:crying:

Diesel6401
09-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Andy

I work in aviation as a aircraft mechanic, and anytime the FAA is involved it is not good for those being investagated! I see fines being handed out...

LiPo Power
09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I say read the manual of your RC!!!
You can not operate RC anywhere that close to the real airplanes, airports!!!
What was the RC pilot doing on the active runway????
Why not operate the RC plane next time on the middle of the active runway at JFK?
This video makes no sense..... If this is a real video than both pilots are stupid.....

Rumdog
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
looks to me like it was done on purpose. Do you know how hard it would be to accidentally do this? He is a very skilled 3d pilot. They knew what was going to happen, and it was planned.

tsenecal
09-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I say read the manual of your RC!!!
You can not operate RC anywhere that close to the real airplanes, airports!!!
What was the RC pilot doing on the active runway????
Why not operate the RC plane next time on the middle of the active runway at JFK?
This video makes no sense..... If this is a real video than both pilots are stupid.....

This is a real video.

I would recommend that you read the other threads on the other websites....

This was a special situation. It was a charity event at a small colorado airport. The event had both r/c and fullsize aircraft. The airport was designated a closed no-fly zone to general aviation during the event. The r/c pilot was flying his portion of the show at the time of the accident.

westbeach
09-06-2010, 09:29 PM
there is too many speculations from watching the video alone. But it's not good when a full size aircraft gets involved with a model aircraft and now having the FAA involved. There are many people that wait for this sort of thing to happen, so they can put another brick wall/law for us modellers.

AndyKunz
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Like I said, plenty of blame to go around.

HOPEFULLY the FAA won't make a blanket nanny declaration due to this. Man, and when we're trying SOO hard to avoid the added regulations they're wanting to slap on us. It couldn't have come at a worse time.

Andy

Chilli
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
From what I red it was a private airfield that hosted a fly in and R/C demo. The a/c was part of the fly in. There was supposed to be someone on the ground coordinating activities. Obviously there was a lack of communications. Uncontrolled airports (without towers) usually have a traffic advisory frequecy assigned to them so pilots can let each other know their intentions when approaching or departing a airport. Private fields dont have this. We dont know if communications were established with the aircraft. If the pilot knew about the activity and chose to do a high speed low approach, he will be getting a visit from FAA Flight Standards and recieve a fine and/or suspension. If he did not know about it, I would guess the airport owner/operator could be liable for not issuing a Notice to Airman to notify pilots of a closed runway (I understand a NOTAM was not issued). Something tells me both parties will play the blame game and both will get a share of the blame. I dont see the R/C plane operator getting in trouble for using a private strip if the owner/operator says the field is his to use. Though he could still face a law suit.

Jeepers
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
The Pueblo Airport does air show events like this one. I took my little boy to the local air show at the Pueblo Memorial Airport last year they had everything from C-130's to F-16's and even WW2 fighters. the also had R/C plane's doing 3D. this airport has a tower and is heavily used for military training on a daily basis. so its not uncommon in Colorado to have these mixed events.

Brushless55
09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
maybe it was staged?

ron1950
09-11-2010, 12:59 PM
i worked for the FAA for 31years and i can tell u all they do is make knee jerk reactions to anything like this.....

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 01:52 PM
i worked for the FAA for 31years and i can tell u all they do is make knee jerk reactions to anything like this.....

you thinking fines maybe suspension of license?

FAA Flight Standards and recieve a fine and/or suspension

Just seen you mentioned that already. Yea I think this guy will regret this decision.

Chilli
09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
What facility/ies did you work at Ron?

I'm 22 years and counting @ ZDC

LiPo Power
09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
This could crash the real airplane and its pilots.....:doh:

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
This could crash the real airplane and its pilots.....:doh:

Yes it could have very easily. That rc strikes the real planes prop and causes to much damage, bad bad things could have happened. Yes planes are very tough, but hitting the wrong thing could have caused a bad chain of events.

ron1950
09-11-2010, 06:11 PM
hey naiti i was a controller at mlu, jan and sdf that monroe la jackson ms and lousiville ky

Chilli
09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Cool. I know a few commercial and corporate pilots on the board but your the first fellow controller. Here's to the worker bee's :beerchug:

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Cool. I know a few commercial and corporate pilots on the board but your the first fellow controller. Here's to the worker bee's :beerchug:

Hey hey don't forget me I'm in aviation, can the mechanic get a toast :beerchug:... lol

ron1950
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
lol diesel this bud 's for you lol....u got me in the labor dept though i just need a job to play in this hobby the right way......

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 08:26 PM
lol diesel this bud 's for you lol....u got me in the labor dept though i just need a job to play in this hobby the right way......

Thanks Buddy, yea I find myself not b!tch!ng about working overtime anymore. I just start thinking what the extra $$$ is going to buy me lol. You should grab a job at airport working CS or something for some play money and most importantly those lovely free flight benefits...

Chilli
09-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey hey don't forget me I'm in aviation, can the mechanic get a toast :beerchug:... lol

Sorry bro, I forgot about you and I work your birds out of CLT every day.

To the guys behind the scenes who keep them flying safely every day.:thumbup1:

Diesel6401
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Sorry bro, I forgot about you and I work your birds out of CLT every day.

To the guys behind the scenes who keep them flying safely every day.:thumbup1:

I was just giving you guys a hard time lol, Cheers though :beerchug:

JPriami
09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
entertaining either way one looks at it. sucks to loose that nice rc tho

antslake
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
looks to me like it was done on purpose. Do you know how hard it would be to accidentally do this? He is a very skilled 3d pilot. They knew what was going to happen, and it was planned.

It's actually not hard at all. It happens all the time between model planes. There is no way this was done on purpose, the pilot could have lost his life. That plane he hit weighs around 35lbs, and if hit in the right spot could have brought him down. He just didn't see it, and maybe there was a mis-communication between everyone. This is a video of my large scale plane getting into a head-on when there was only two planes on the field. I was actually bringing it in because the guy just missed me a few times, and I was going to yell at him. He was a visitor to our club, and was not flying in the pattern, or was he announcing his high-speed inverted passes. I was announcing my touch and goes, and landing. My bi-plane has 8ft wings.

4nMEB57mBB8