PDA

View Full Version : Geico Flex Cables

Steven Vaccaro
09-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I have made up some drive cables.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-geico-cable&cat=144

The prop shaft is a bit shorter than the stock one.
I will be testing it tomorrow and if it works out, I will make some up tomorrow night.

HYDROJERRY
09-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Man you are ontop of things,,,and super fast shipping too!!!!You go Steven!!!!:hug1:

JimClark
09-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Sure helps that HH used standard sizes for the gear

johnf
09-03-2010, 11:40 PM
SV FTW! Lol

AndyKunz
09-03-2010, 11:58 PM

That was intentional. You can't sell non-standard stuff to the racing crowd.

Andy

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 01:19 AM

I assure you, that was NOT an accident! I insisted!! :thumbup1:

tman52804
09-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Darn, out of stock already

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Darn, out of stock already

He's working on getting more. I'm sure you'll find more in stock early next week.

tman52804
09-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I'll have to order one, HH said it could be a few weeks and summer is coming to an end.

in-d-boat
09-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Backordered! The end of October, is what HH told me. Weeks yet! No local hobby shops here either. Will have to order one, too.

tman52804
09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
That is really bad news.

in-d-boat
09-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I think Pro Boat should get on the stick and get the correct cables out in days, not weeks. They must have some of the correct flex cables around, some of the boats don't have this issue, and have the standard cable installed. Dig into that stock,Pro Boat, and send them out. Their mistake, our boats. I know they'll take care of this, but why so long?

AndyKunz
09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
but why so long?

Easy - we have NO correct flex cable nor stubs in stock. NADA. Everything the factory made, they made with the wrong cable.

Which means proper cable has to be purchased, delivered, and cut to rough length (it comes on huge spools). Stub shafts have to be machined. Stubs and cables have to be mated and welded, trimmed to exact length, deburred, cleaned, packaged (greased, plastic bagged), boxed, and air-freighted to us. Then they have to be QA'd and sent out to appropriate places (hobby shops, users) and inserted into hundreds of boats in stock.

While we're wringing our hands, lots of Chinese folks are busting their butts. Things take time.

Aren't you glad we used standard sizes and you can pull a cable out of your own stock, solder it up and use it?

Oh, and remember what I've said numerous times before - you can't trust the dates on the website (this is a known issue which is being worked on). We had Stilettos and Geicos shipping for several days and the website still said a few more weeks. Some of you had them on the water before the website started to catch up.

Andy

in-d-boat
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I didn't realize that ALL of the cables were wrong. My mistake, there. The stock size thing is a good one, for sure. Still a cool boat, though! Just anxious to get it going. Gotta order some cable.

JimClark
09-04-2010, 01:42 PM
My guess is you can get some from Ray fuller and Possibly Jeff W if Steve runs out and maybe Jim Williams and Certainly Octura should have it

Jeff Wohlt
09-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I have plenty but will not be able to ship unitl Wed.

onegreenray
09-04-2010, 05:03 PM
there are enough vendors around to make up for a simple mistake. i know this stinks with the holiday weekend and summer coming to an end but the ponds aren't frozen yet...

ordered my flex cable from Steve this morning and man is he fast. shipped today should be here Tuesday.

Steven Vaccaro
09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
At this moment I have 19 to exactly fit and another 11 regular cables the customer would have to fit.

jac4412
09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Steve, I sent you an email about my order. Since I'm unsure whether it sent or not youll noticed I placed two orders, one for THIS one and one from the sv27 I think... Please cancel the first one as it is a mistake! Thanks (your pms are also full or disabled)... I only need the geico one, the one I just placed.

tman52804
09-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Just ordered my new flexshaft from OSE. I hope I can get it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Steven Vaccaro
09-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Steve, I sent you an email about my order. Since I'm unsure whether it sent or not youll noticed I placed two orders, one for THIS one and one from the sv27 I think... Please cancel the first one as it is a mistake! Thanks (your pms are also full or disabled)... I only need the geico one, the one I just placed.

If you placed the order before about 10am on Saturday it was shipped. So email me about what you want to do with the second order.

jac4412
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Check your email steve and let me know, thanks!

jac4412
09-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Hate to be a pest Steve but did you get my email? I didn't receive a confirmation or response

blackcat26
09-07-2010, 06:05 AM
A quick fix for me was to unsolder the factory stub then loctite a correct cable back on. Used a propane torch to heat it. Used octura cable and bingo back on the water.

PolarRoller08
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Not to be a bother but is there any flexshafts coming soon Steve?:confused1:

Thanks for your help...:thumbup1:

tman52804
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I was wondering if Steve shipped them out priority mail or not. My tracking info states first class....it could be another week for first class mail.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Not to be a bother but is there any flexshafts coming soon Steve?:confused1:

Thanks for your help...:thumbup1:

First 20 sold out pretty quick.
I will be making more tonight.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I was wondering if Steve shipped them out priority mail or not. My tracking info states first class....it could be another week for first class mail.

Travis we ship them by the method the customer selects and pays for.
You selected first class with your order. This is the description of the shipping method you selected.

"First-Class Mail, NO insurance. Typical delivery time 7-12 business days"

tman52804
09-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Darn, I screwed up!

I was thinking I paid like $7.99 for shipping, figured it was priority mail.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Darn, I screwed up!

I was thinking I paid like $7.99 for shipping, figured it was priority mail.

It happens to the best of us. Lots of times first class is pretty quick. I've only seen a few times where it actually took 12 business days.

I think you paid about $6.00 for s&h, $9.00 would have been prioritymail s&h.

tman52804
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't mean to pry, but the shipping seems a little high for such a small item. We ship thousands of items a day, so I'm fairly familar with shipping prices. NO biggie, probably should keep this comment to myself, but that's my down fall, I'm honest and that's just how I feel. JMO

shotimes95
09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
So is it wise to not run my boat with the original shaft? And what exactly is the issue?

Darin Jordan
09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
So is it wise to not run my boat with the original shaft? And what exactly is the issue?

There is a potential that the cable will, when put under shock/stress, try to unwrap the outter layer, putting it into compression, as opposed to tension. This would cause additional drag, and potentially a seizing up in the stuffing tube.

I think if you run using the stock prop, and be a little gentle with the accelleration and try not to shock the driveline too much, you should be fine until the replacement cables arrive.

AndyKunz
09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
If you have reverse rotation prop, that would work even better.

I can hear the CT/ERCU guys telling us that it's because we run the "wrong" way around the course :)

Andy

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't mean to pry, but the shipping seems a little high for such a small item. We ship thousands of items a day, so I'm fairly familar with shipping prices. NO biggie, probably should keep this comment to myself, but that's my down fall, I'm honest and that's just how I feel. JMO

No problem. Its your money and I never question someone asking where its going.

We charge a $3.95 handling fee on each order. That gets you quick shipping out our door.

Example of shipping options on checkout and what they look like.

First-Class Mail, NO insurance. Typical delivery time 7-12 business (days) $5.68
Priority Mail, Insurance included to mail box. Typical delivery time 3 to 5 business (days) $8.85

shotimes95
09-08-2010, 02:24 PM
There is a potential that the cable will, when put under shock/stress, try to unwrap the outter layer, putting it into compression, as opposed to tension. This would cause additional drag, and potentially a seizing up in the stuffing tube.

I think if you run using the stock prop, and be a little gentle with the accelleration and try not to shock the driveline too much, you should be fine until the replacement cables arrive.

I just looked at mine and it matches the reverse picture. Thats the wrong way?

Thanks so much again!!!

tman52804
09-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Good info., didn't know about the handling fee. Gotta say, don't like handling fees, but now I know......and knowing is sometimes half the battle.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 02:43 PM

One other thing. If you do use the stock cable make sure to solder the end that goes into the coupler really well. Make sure to get the solder into the core of the cable. Cable is made with outter and inner layers. They are oposite rotations to each other(see the picture)

If the end is soldered well, the coupler will grab both the outer and inner wire and help to stop the unthreading of the cable.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Good info., didn't know about the handling fee. Gotta say, don't like handling fees, but now I know......and knowing is sometimes half the battle.

You can read more about it here
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/policy.php
It might be slightly out of date.

I agree, No one likes to be changed to ship something. But it pays the bills. Last year I spent over $5000 in boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap, paper, labels, ink for the printer, and printers. Not to mention about 3 hours a day packing and labeling.

What company was it you work for?

tman52804
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
No problem Steve. The company I work for has nothing to do with it and it is a great deal larger than yours. (About 300 employees). I'm just a mechanical engineer with a tight wallet. No need to comment any further, you don't need to justify your handling fees, they are what they are. I just didn't realize that you charged a handling fee, now I know.

You can read more about it here
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/policy.php
It might be slightly out of date.

I agree, No one likes to be changed to ship something. But it pays the bills. Last year I spent over $5000 in boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap, paper, labels, ink for the printer, and printers. Not to mention about 3 hours a day packing and labeling.

What company was it you work for?

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM
The company I work for has nothing to do with it and it is a great deal larger than yours. (About 300 employees).

I figured since we were all being honest and open, and you brought it into the conversation, that you could share that info.

tman52804
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.oystar.packt.com/

Steven Vaccaro
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.oystar.packt.com/

Neat stuff their buildin over there!

Derrick Davis
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Gentlemen,
As much as I've wanted to pick up my Miss G, I've waited to see what the resolution will be for the flex shaft cable. Question - do we know when the the Miss G will be sent out with the correct flex cable installed? I apologize if you have already covered this. There is so much info here (excellent info too) that I may have over look it. I don't have many weekends left to run boats here in Minnesota....unless of course I retro fit skis. Hmmm....

Steven Vaccaro
09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm selling them with the flex cable for $15 more. Forum members get a $15 discount. So its a wash.

AndyKunz
09-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Question - do we know when the the Miss G will be sent out with the correct flex cable installed?

No, not yet. As soon as Darin or I know, one of us will post the info.

Andy

tman52804
09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Andy,

Is the esc in this boat already programmed for lipos are does one need to buy the proboat programmer and program it prior to running lipos?

AndyKunz
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Top left corner of Page 6 in the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB4100_User_Manual.pdf

Andy

tman52804
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Yep, sorry I was somewhat confused as the esc manual says its safe with all battery types.
I'm sure it is, if programmed properly.

JimClark
09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Does anyone read the manual? No wonder new people have problems with boats

tman52804
09-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Well Jim, the boat manual says one thing and the esc manual says another. It was a little unclear for some newbies. The jist is that the esc will handle all types of batteries.......but it doesn't say with proper programming, but I believe we all figured that out by now. I've flown brushless airplanes for years and knew this, but if I by a new rc plane, it comes set for lipo as the default. I was kind of suprised that the proboat wasn't set the same way because I'm thinking the majority of people who run this boat will be running lipo, hence, the default should be lipo from the factory.

Darin Jordan
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
...because I'm thinking the majority of people who run this boat will be running lipo, hence, the default should be lipo from the factory.

That premise isn't true... As it turns out, the majority of people actually run NiMH still (sport boaters) and they run REALLY crappy ones at that... Some actually complain because of the LVC for NiMH is even there, and when their crappy NiMH cells get pulled down under the load, the boat stutters...

I can ask them to have future manuals a little more clear on the default settings, if this one isn't already.

I haven't read it myself... OH, but then, I didn't need to... I designed the boat! ;) Hehehehe...

Glad you got your answer... now get out there and enjoy running her!

stringfly
09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
My friend got his today. And thanks Steve for getting the correct flex shaft out quickly to him so we can run Sunday. He did comment that since the replacement shaft is just a hair bigger it is a tight fit in the collet. He opened up the collet some to get it in. Some pictures showing it compared to his SuperVeeR.

Stringfly <>++++++

Steven Vaccaro
09-11-2010, 07:40 AM
It should be about 1mm longer. ProBoat is running a thrust style washer in between the drive dog and strut, with very little to no extra space. This will work fine, but adding a tad more space in this area will allow the flex cable to shorten under load a bit and the cable will last longer.

tman52804
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Andy,

Any update on the replacement cables?

My OSE cable got screwed up by USPS, should have been here Tuesday, but now Friday if I'm lucky. Darn, it was 2 hours away in Des Moines, IA. Now it is in PA. What a joke.

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes there is!

There's a limited supply coming in shortly. After they are QA'd they will be sent out FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. To get in line, go to this page http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=PRB4100 click on "Important Product Bulletin" (top right corner). Follow the instructions there. Use the e-mail one for highest priority!

The next shipment will be a couple weeks later and will go through the same process.

Andy

tman52804
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Darin Jordan
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes there is!

There's a limited supply coming in shortly. After they are QA'd they will be sent out FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. To get in line, go to this page http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=PRB4100 click on "Important Product Bulletin" (top right corner). Follow the instructions there. Use the e-mail one for highest priority!

The next shipment will be a couple weeks later and will go through the same process.

Andy

Should I get on that list too??? ;)

Thanks for updating everyone, Andy!

ron1950
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
sure darin use your connections to get a free one lol

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
No, Darin, you can keep using the new secret weapon cable :wink:

Andy

Darin Jordan
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
sure darin use your connections to get a free one lol

Actually... I was just going to make my own and leave the replacement ones to distribute to all of you out there. That's just how I roll! :beerchug:

Jeff Wohlt
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I think OSE and myself have plenty. I just got a load of cable and stubs and I am pretty sure Steven is set.

ron1950
09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
darin i got no dog in this fight lol....i bought a extra flexshaft for the stiletto so i would have a spare

tman52804
09-17-2010, 10:02 AM
I received my new flexshaft from Horizon, yesterday!

BHChieftain
09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi,
Are OSE's replacement Ms. Geico flex cables soldered or glued into the drive shaft? I ordered one 'cause I need a longer flex cable and the unassembled cables were out of stock and thought I might be able to unsolder it for use with my 4mm prop shaft. But if it is glued I don't think that will work...

Chief

7500RPM
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I received my new flexshaft from Horizon yesterday, came by UPS to Canada, Awesome Service!!!

Diesel6401
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I received my new flex cable yesterday, proper direction verifed. Also came usps. Took about 1 week after filling out the request form. GREAT job HORIZON, service like that is why I will continue to use their site!

ron1950
09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
i see they are going to start reselling them on about the 27th...got to get one ordered....anyone know if it will have proper flex shaft or just have the good one in the box?

Diesel6401
09-22-2010, 05:48 PM
i see they are going to start reselling them on about the 27th...got to get one ordered....anyone know if it will have proper flex shaft or just have the good one in the box?

I could have swore I read they will be fitted/installed with the correct direction flexshafts when they go back on sale.

Rumdog
09-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Uh, they ARE in stock: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=ProBoat+Miss+Geico+Catamaran+RTR

ron1950
09-23-2010, 09:29 PM
called horizon today and they say it will be back in stock in 4 weeks......there wholesale site says early dec...i really dont want to wait that long lol

Diesel6401
09-23-2010, 10:16 PM
called horizon today and they say it will be back in stock in 4 weeks......there wholesale site says early dec...i really dont want to wait that long lol

Order from Steve Ron, hurry up only 1 left then you'll really have to wait long.

Steven Vaccaro
09-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I just made 10 more tonight.

Jeff Wohlt
09-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Using the Octura 150 cables you need to sand these cables to smooth them out a bit and reduce the OD slightly. They are a bit tighter...as a few have informed me. I am about to try one in my hull and see.

ron1950
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
finally picked up my new mg today...store was sending it back to horizon and had it all boxed up so i dtold em id buy it for 299 they said ok.....had the hardest time getting the esc to make the motor go....rudder worked fine...dont know what i did to make it all good..(gess unplugging the batteries did it) but seems to be ok now out tomorrow for first run.....also got on list for new flex cable lol....my motto is run it till it breaks.....

Darin Jordan
09-24-2010, 07:34 PM
....my motto is run it till it breaks.....

THAT is FUNNY! That's EXACTLY what the PB Product Manager said you guys were going to do!! Hahahaha...

You should find that you can prop the heck out of a Geico. X645 and up... Have FUN!

I started doing the race prep work on mine last night. Hopefully have it ready for sunday.

ron1950
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
i have a 642 comeing for it would the 440/3 work at all or too much heat? mayve the stock stiletto prop?

stringfly
09-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Ran mine again this morning. Boy, I like this boat more and more. I did run a X640 and moved my strut up a bit above the bracket. Water was rough on the river but it did super..... handled it just fine. My batteries (2-2s 5000mah) are pretty far forward for the rougher water but finally have gotten rid of the bouncy, bouncy, bounce. Have a X642 already to go and will try tomorrow.

Stringfly <>++++++

Boomer
09-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey Radio guys (Andy, Darin)
Since coming over from the dark side (sailboats and aircraft) and being new to pistol type RXs, I have a thought, it would be nice if I could dampen the rudder control wheel on the radio, or create some resistance. There is no feel to these things. On my stick radios, I can adjust the lever tension or resistance to my tastes.

Are there any of your radios that offer this feature? To me, it would be more what we are all used to. I remember when power steering first came out, Chrysler developed theirs to the point where it had no feel to it, and people were crashing their cars because they had no sense of how much they were actually turning the car.

Just a thought. I know that you get accustomed to the lack of feel but, It would be nice to have.
Boomer

AndyKunz
09-26-2010, 12:15 AM
A lot of guys use stick radios, so that's still an option for you. When we did the DX8, we made sure that stick tension could be adjusted w/o removing the back.

That's a great idea for a pistol radio. I'll present it to the mechanical guys and see what they think. It might already be there and I just don't know how to do it.

Andy

Boomer
09-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Andy
Thank you for your response. I offer myself as a "beta" tester if you need one!
It's great that you guys are in touch with your customers and are on top of the business!
Thank you
Boomer

ron1950
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
has anyone tryed the stiletto prop on the MG? i was going to try it today but water was just too rough with the north wind here.....its basically a prather 215 so i am told...just wondering what to expect is all....

BHChieftain
10-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I just posted a swap shop thread that includes a new ose ms geico replacement flex drive if anyone need one

Chief

blackcat26
10-11-2010, 05:48 AM
has anyone tryed the stiletto prop on the MG? i was going to try it today but water was just too rough with the north wind here.....its basically a prather 215 so i am told...just wondering what to expect is all....

Ron, I have used the 215 and it is just a tad slower than the 642.

hobie
10-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Just thought I would share my experiences with props on the MG.... The x642... Way to slow, and not enough bite out of the hole. I'm using a 447. Works beauty. I ran about 45mph yesterday with a 5s setup.
This boat is amazing.