PDA

View Full Version : Attn: New Geico Owners

tth
09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I just got in my new Geico Cat. Please check the direction of the flexcable. Mine came in with clockwise rotation cable. Counterclockwise is what the prop needs.

Just a Heads Up!!!!

Diesel6401
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I just got in my new Geico Cat. Please check the direction of the flexcable. Mine came in with clockwise rotation cable. Counterclockwise is what the prop needs.

Just a Heads Up!!!!

Wow, good heads up. Did you contact HH or PB?

Darin Jordan
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow, good heads up. Did you contact HH or PB?

Interesting... and not cool.

I'll e-mail ProBoat right away...

Diesel6401
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Interesting... and not cool.

I'll e-mail ProBoat right away...

Do you think this is what could have caused the issue on the other thread with the flexcable being seized in the teflon? Mine should be here soon, I ordered monday from HH so soon as I get it I will for sure check mine. I normally always check the lube on the shaft and the hardware when I get them.

Darin Jordan
09-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Do you think this is what could have caused the issue on the other thread with the flexcable being seized in the teflon?

If it's the wrong rotation cable, certainly...

I'll have to look at mine when I get home and see what the cable is in it.

Everyone else should do the same and report here... Would be good to know if it's a global, or intermittent issue...

airman66285
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Just a Heads Up!!!!

Awesome catch - I am taking mine out tomorrow for the first time. Just to be sure, what is the best way to tell it is wound counterclockwise?

tman52804
09-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll try to inspect mine tomorrow as well.

Darin Jordan
09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Awesome catch - I am taking mine out tomorrow for the first time. Just to be sure, what is the best way to tell it is wound counterclockwise?

You should be able to see some of the cable hear the coupler on the motor... The prop should rotate to the left. If the rotation of the strands around the cable are going counter-clockwise and you move down the length of the flex, they are reversed (right-hand) rotation. If they are clock-wise, they are standard, left-hand rotation.

The strands should be in TENSION when the prop is rotating the correct direction, tightening the cable wrap. If it's reversed, it will be trying to unwind the cable wrap, making the cable a larger diameter, and seizing in the stuffing tube, if not outright breaking.

I just put together a quick picture to illustrate...

airman66285
09-03-2010, 05:13 PM
You should be able to see some of the cable hear the coupler on the motor... The prop should rotate to the left. If the rotation of the strands around the cable are going counter-clockwise and you move down the length of the flex, they are reversed (right-hand) rotation. If they are clock-wise, they are standard, left-hand rotation.

The strands should be in TENSION when the prop is rotating the correct direction, tightening the cable wrap. If it's reversed, it will be trying to unwind the cable wrap, making the cable a larger diameter, and seizing in the stuffing tube, if not outright breaking.

That is what I thought as well but I wanted to be sure. Thank you for the illustration. I will check when I leave the office and report back to this thread ASAP with my personal findings. My fingers are crossed...

airman66285
09-03-2010, 05:54 PM

DAMNIT! Mine is reversed too - now what? :ThumbsDown01:
Anyone else?

properchopper
09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I just asked a local noobie to check his; his is correct.

airman66285
09-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I just asked a local noobie to check his; his is correct.

This sucks big time! I was going to run mine tomorrow for the maiden voyage. I am trying to get through to Proboat right now to no avail...

Diesel6401
09-03-2010, 06:22 PM
So some are correct some are not. Is their anyway to narrow it down to a certain shipment or location, tth and airman where did you guys purchase from? I bought from HH, but haven't received it yet. I will list my findings asap.

airman66285
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
So some are correct some are not. Is their anyway to narrow it down to a certain shipment or location, tth and airman where did you guys purchase from? I bought from HH, but haven't received it yet. I will list my findings asap.

I live in Brooklyn Park, MN and bought mine at Hobbytown USA and they purchased their lot from Horizon Hobby directly. I can't get through to HH or PB right now via telephone.

Diesel6401
09-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Got ya, I suppose HH would ship directly to individuals & sellers. Maybe it's a hit or miss, luck of the draw thing. Crazy that happened. I'm anxious to see what mine is.

airman66285
09-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Got ya, I suppose HH would ship directly to individuals & sellers. Maybe it's a hit or miss, luck of the draw thing. Crazy that happened. I'm anxious to see what mine is.

BAD NEWS! I just spoke with a tech rep from PB and he ordered me a new flex shaft BUT they are back ordered and they have no idea when they are going to have them in stock. We now have a neon yellow paperweight. I will check with Steve at OSE and see if I can fabricate a new one instead. MAJOR BUMMER!:ThumbsDown01:

Diesel6401
09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
That sucks I will just have to order a new cable and cut it myself then. Is that .130 or .150 flex cable?

Rumdog
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep, order from Steve, you'll have it ASAP! This does suck though.

Darin Jordan
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Mine is reversed as well. It's a standard .150" sized flex with 3/16" stub, so if you happen to have any material, you can use that.

If you have a reversed one, ProBoat told me that they are offering replacements that they will be expedited airfreight. Not sure the timeline, but they told me they are jumping into this with both feet to try to resolve the issue. Strange problem. The manufacturer has been making these for YEARs, so this is a silly mistake on their part. Wish I would have had a pre-production sample. Might have caught this earlier.

Darin Jordan
09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm anxious to see what mine is.

Please let us know... I would like to see how widespread this issue is. Stupid mistake!

jnation89
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM
so mine is also the wrong way, probably explaining why it seized up. good thing i already contacted proboat and i have new parts on the way.

dana
09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
i think i'll wait for the"Hull only" to be available, then build it myself hehe

properchopper
09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
By all indications, this is a very, very nice boat coming from a company that builds some very solid stuff. I'm sure that this incident is causing some heads to roll somewhere, and the experience I've had with HH is that they'll do the max to make things right. Once sorted out, this should be a real nice addition to the fleet.
It's possible that many of the impatient grumblings about getting this boat to market may have forced a rush to produce before all the ducks were in a row- Hey, what's a flex cable between friends anyway? Easy for me to say, I know, but hey, I popped a cable at the lake last week on my LSO rig; pulled a spare out of the box & got it running again :olleyes: Yup this shouldn't happen on a new boat I'll agree but once handled this has gotta be the best rtr out.

tth
09-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Same here Tony. I just wanted to get the message out for others to watch out. HH in the past has backed their prods 100%. I make my own shafts anyways.

properchopper
09-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Same here Tony. I just wanted to get the message out for others to watch out. HH in the past has backed their prods 100%. I make my own shafts anyways.

Thanks, man. I really didn't want to intrude where I don't belong, but the Geico has me wondering if I could fit one in my fleet , it looks so promising for a Spec LSO boat! The last time I raced a Cat in LSO was WWIII in AZ and I really sucked - this boat could be a winner, I'm thinking, and I'd love to see how it'll do - methinks very well.

Oh, speaking of intruding, got any vids of that fine Intruder in your avatar ?

tth
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks, man. I really didn't want to intrude where I don't belong, but the Geico has me wondering if I could fit one in my fleet , it looks so promising for a Spec LSO boat! The last time I raced a Cat in LSO was WWIII in AZ and I really sucked - this boat could be a winner, I'm thinking, and I'd love to see how it'll do - methinks very well.

Look in the video section. I posted a couple about two weeks ago. She is another sweet @$$ boat. She is the one that made me get cat scratch fever!!!

skellyo
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Just checked mine...it's wrong too. Guess I'll be calling PB on Tuesday.

tman52804
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Mine is wrong as well. Guess I'm screwed this weekend and to think I spent a bunch of extra money on overpriced batteries so I could run it this weekend.

boogeyman
09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
i stopped by the local hobby shop and we unboxed the 3 that they had and all were wrong and pulled from the shelves until the right parts arrive.

in-d-boat
09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Just got mine tonight, from here at OSE. It's got the reversed cable as well. Well, ain't this wonnnnerful! Great looking boat though!

In-d-boat

scoota
09-03-2010, 10:08 PM
i think i'll wait for the"Hull only" to be available, then build it myself hehe

G-Freak has some good cats for sale, hehe :sarcasm1:

Jeepers
09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
this is why I don't order/buy anything that has just been released to the market.

AndyKunz
09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
This isn't a holiday weekend for everybody on the planet.

We'll be making good on this. If you can't wait, the drive is standard .150" cable with a 3/16" stub. We wanted to make sure everybody could use standard parts, and it looks like that will pan out for you die-hards.

Details will be out next week.

Andy

AndyKunz
09-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Looks like OSE is coming to your rescue already! Way to go, Steve!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?p=225304#post225304

Have fun testing!

Andy

Rumdog
09-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Steve, once again, you are the man!!

scoota
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
This is a minor issue compared to the, first GEN UL1 with the turn fin problem , but we all still brought them !!! i own a few Pro boats & think they are well made , looks like steven flex sales will go thru the roof LOL . Like a few others i like to make my own shafts with the ends Loctited on cause they dont fall off like the solder ones !!!

Good catch !! but i think this wont put me off buying a Geico, just my 2 cents worth

tth
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
The hull is a beautiful yellow and is a lot better built than the BJ26. I have tons of counter rotation props too......I can still run her either way!!!!

Steven Vaccaro
09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
For someone that can glue a cable, cut the flex and solder. Its a cheap $10.99 fix.

A regular Octura .150 cable with 3/16" shaft will fit
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc150L-24c

airman66285
09-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Please let us know... I would like to see how widespread this issue is. Stupid mistake!

Darin,

The HH technician I talked to tonight was extremely sheepish and felt very bad. I agree that it is a bonehead mistake but on balance it is a very minor thing compared to how awesome the boat is. I will order a new one from Steveo and wait for my stock replacement as well. Heck, if something was going to happen to the boat I would rather have this happen instead of the ESC exploding and marring that beautiful hull! :olleyes:

airman66285
09-03-2010, 11:23 PM

I think it would make a very worthy addition to your naval armada!:rockon2:

onegreenray
09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
yup mine is reversed as well.

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Steve, once again, you are the man!!

Pressing the "LIKE" button.... :hug1:

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 01:16 AM
For those of you thinking of installing dual motors, there is going to be a large supply of counter-rotating cables. :doh:

I will give all the details of getting replacement parts form ProBoat as soon as they have it all solidified. They are working on it as I type, and the manufacturer is working on getting a supply of replacements.

I was told that the new boats in stock, once the replacement is available, will be packaged with the replacement shaft and instructions/tech note inside the box.

The bad news is that it's likely going to a few weeks at least before they have them ready and here to distribute.

Diesel6401
09-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Sign me up, my flex is clockwise instead of counter-clock. I will shot HH a email tomorrow. Looks like this went viral, O well this isn't a major deal for us guys. Maybe new boaters who have no clue, that could be an issue. I had a extra hyperformence cable laying around .150 3/16. It is about 1/8 inch shorter than the stock flex, hopefully it works.

tman52804
09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I contacted HH this morning. The person I spoke to wasn't aware of the issue, but they put a flexshaft on order for me.

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Sign me up, my flex is clockwise instead of counter-clock. I will shot HH a email tomorrow. Looks like this went viral, O well this isn't a major deal for us guys. Maybe new boaters who have no clue, that could be an issue. I had a extra hyperformence cable laying around .150 3/16. It is about 1/8 inch shorter than the stock flex, hopefully it works.

If you have an extra Octura 5mm to .150" coupler laying around, throw that on while you are at it. Has a little longer grip length and should make up for the shorter cable length. Plus, it's just a better coupler....

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I contacted HH this morning. The person I spoke to wasn't aware of the issue, but they put a flexshaft on order for me.

Hopefully they were clear that their stock of replacements are all right-hand shafts as well. They need to wait for the new replacements to show up.

Jeff Wohlt
09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
If this is the only issue then not too bad but a silly mistake on their part. Sounds like the stub may be a bit longer than an Octura 2.25" If the Octura will work as Steven says then not a problem. If the stubs need to be longer then we can make those as well.

Sucks but worse thigns can happen so hang in there.

What are the specs...total length and stub length only?

Wonder how the 078 wire drive will work in this? Should be easy.

GeoVW72
09-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Mine is also backwards.
Also got from HH

AndyKunz
09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
We're pretty sure they're ALL backwards. They put a hold on everything so nothing more will ship wrong.

Andy

Diesel6401
09-04-2010, 12:28 PM
If you have an extra Octura 5mm to .150" coupler laying around, throw that on while you are at it. Has a little longer grip length and should make up for the shorter cable length. Plus, it's just a better coupler....

Actually I think I may have one laying around as well. Thanks.

To add the pictures on the website do this boat no justice. It truly is a awesome looking boat, can't wait to get this thing on the water.

aftermx
09-06-2010, 02:02 AM
I just picked one up today at my local HS today. WHY DID'NT HH TELL THEM THERE WAS A PROBLEM.:help: I'll fly heli's tomorrow. Next time before I by a new boat I'll go to OSE first. It does look good.:hug1:

JimClark
09-06-2010, 02:26 AM
You are assuming they know about the problem. Most likely they don't know yet

I just picked one up today at my local HS today. WHY DID'NT HH TELL THEM THERE WAS A PROBLEM.:help: I'll fly heli's tomorrow. Next time before I by a new boat I'll go to OSE first. It does look good.:hug1:

igottalongone
09-06-2010, 02:58 AM
I cut down a UL-1 cable, took 10 minutes and works perfect....

Steven Vaccaro
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Maybe because it was just found out Friday night.

aftermx
09-08-2010, 12:26 AM
I just want to thank everyone for the warning and the info on the UL-1 shaft .

tman52804
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Andy,

Any word on when we can expect the new "warrantied" flex shafts?

AndyKunz
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
As of about 9:00 today we didn't have a ship date.

Andy

tman52804
09-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Andy,

Were you expecting them to ship already this week? That would be a quick turnaround.

Diesel6401
09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I ran into a interesting thing the other day when I was going to remove and change out the motor couple. The set screw had loc-tite on it (good), but was stripped (bad). I tried both metric & stanard keys, but no luck. I even tried some valve grinding compound which we use in aviation to help grip semi-stripped screws planes, but nothing. O well, it's on their good and works so I'll leave it. I will drill it out if I ever want to change it. Just thought I would mention that. All in all I LOVE THIS BOAT!!!

tman52804
09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
What were you going to change the motor coupler out for?

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
The longer octura couplers will stay tighter for a longer period of time and are easier to remove the cable from.

Darin Jordan
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
The longer octura couplers will stay tighter for a longer period of time and are easier to remove the cable from.

On all of my AQ and PB boats, that's the first thing I change! :thumbup:

tman52804
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Cool, nice to know. Do you use a bullet nut to hold your prop on?

Darin Jordan
09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Cool, nice to know. Do you use a bullet nut to hold your prop on?

No... I just use the standard lock-nut style nuts like come with the Octura stubs.

That's one thing I'm surprised people haven't mentioned... Did you SEE the size of the prop nut on these things?? My first reaction was "What the He!!"... ;) That props NOT coming off!! Hahahahaha...

tman52804
09-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Darin,

So, the octura long coupler has two set screws? Is the motor shaft 5mm, hadn't had a chance to measure it?

I agree, the nut is HUGE compared to some of my other boats.

Steven Vaccaro
09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Darin,

So, the octura long coupler has two set screws? Is the motor shaft 5mm, hadn't had a chance to measure it?

Its a collet style like the proboat, but grabs more of the flex cable. It has two motor set screws. But the screws are not what normally loosens. Its the cable side that will sometimes lose grip.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15

Darin Jordan
09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Darin,

Yes... standard 5mm shaft.

I use this one (usually extend the flat on the motor shaft to fit): http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15

But this one would work as well (with no modification to the motor shaft): http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15S

AndyKunz
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Andy,

Were you expecting them to ship already this week? That would be a quick turnaround.

We're waiting for a date from the factory telling us when they'll ship them to us. I have no idea what they'll say, and I don't get into that arena much.

Andy

tman52804
09-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have to order one sometime. I'll propably wait and order it along with some props once I get an idea on which props to order. Sounds like the x642 might be one to get.

Diesel6401
09-08-2010, 04:15 PM
What were you going to change the motor coupler out for?

That is one of the first things to go as well on mine. I like the Octura short couplers myself. Also a x642 is one of those props everyone should have in their prop box so grab one as soon as you can.

Darin Jordan
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
That is one of the first things to go as well on mine. I like the Octura short couplers myself.

If for no other reason that to be able to use STANDARD sized wrenches... ;)

jac4412
09-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Its a collet style like the proboat, but grabs more of the flex cable. It has two motor set screws. But the screws are not what normally loosens. Its the cable side that will sometimes lose grip.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15

Steve will this one fit right in without modification?

Steven Vaccaro
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Steve will this one fit right in without modification?

I dont have my test boat here to try one on. You may have to shorten the flex shaft.