PDA

View Full Version : Stiletto First Run w/New Boat

ALD
09-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Received my new Stiletto yesterday. Assembled everything according to Manual. First Test run on (two) 2s 5300mah 25c hardcase today. My first impression of this boat is FANTASTIC. Drives better than I expected. In stock form runs pretty fast. Boat has alot of potential. It turns in both directions equaly great and it feels like it on rails at speed. I would like to thank Darin for designing such a beautiful boat. I still need to trim and tweak, but out of the box very impressive. My first boat out of the box that didn't break on the first run. Pro Boat got it right!

ron1950
09-03-2010, 08:37 AM
sounds good to me i agree with ya about the boat looks and all...planning on getting mine on the water today hope i have as good a first run as u had. three of us all got them the same day here in mississippi and they are all waiting for me to test mine first lol.....i havent run a boat in 30 years !....

jamespl
09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
get some vids up guys :thumbup1:

GP73
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Just got mine! She's beautiful! :thumbup:

I can't wait to get it wet now! :bounce:

AndyKunz
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Are you gonna leave that sticker over the cockpit?

Andy

Darin Jordan
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM

Andy

Uugh!! That would be the first thing I'd pull off!! :beerchug:

Flying Scotsman
09-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Mine will be painted by the idiot Scotsman and will include decals with the "more go than show prop company" and the "mangled prop company".
You have to be in the know to understand this epistle.

Douggie

andym
09-04-2010, 01:23 AM
What props are working on this hull. lift, no lift, size etc?? Douggie what is motor KV, esc rating etc

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
What props are working on this hull. lift, no lift, size etc?? Douggie what is motor KV, esc rating etc

Andy,

Motor is an 1800KV version of the BJ26 motor. More RPM, a little less torque. ESC is a 60A.

Which props are best is still up in the air for me at this point. I'm liking what I saw from and X440/3, that's been backcut slightly and pitched up a little, but I'm still playing with it.

Looking forward to reports of what you guys think work.

andym
09-04-2010, 01:33 AM
MM is the esc under rated,a 1716-10-50/2 round eared and 1.5m back cut. The 440/3 would get out the hole but get run down in the straights?? 1616-10-50/3 with same treatment would be worth a try

Darin Jordan
09-04-2010, 01:36 AM
MM is the esc under rated,a 1716-10-50/2 round eared and 1.5m back cut. The 440/3 would get out the hole but get run down in the straights?? 1616-10-50/3 with same treatment would be worth a try

Interesting... I have those props setting on my bench, getting prepped! Can't wait to try them. :thumbup1:

andym
09-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Is this hull going to be available without the leg, esc, radio. Something like a pro package steering set up included but add your own esc, leg, motor, radio ??? This would be great as a lot of us would like to try the hull out but do not want the expense of gear we would not use with full on race set ups?? I think this would be a valid and profitable exercise

andym
09-04-2010, 01:45 AM
If the hull does not like a lot of lift I have found rounding the ears with some spoon/cup at the tip with a back cut very beneficial.

ALD
09-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Ran my Stileltto today, stock with (2) 2s 5300mah 25c and notice after the run of 4min everything was warm except the deans were real hot. What would cause that? Stock setup.

andym
09-04-2010, 01:53 AM
You just answered your own question "deans" get rid of them, run 5.5mm bullet couplers.

ALD
09-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks, I will do that!!!!!!!!!

Flying Scotsman
09-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Is this hull going to be available without the leg, esc, radio. Something like a pro package steering set up included but add your own esc, leg, motor, radio ??? This would be great as a lot of us would like to try the hull out but do not want the expense of gear we would not use with full on race set ups?? I think this would be a valid and profitable exercise

Typical Aussie moron, there is no radio just an RX..read the specs. I doubt that it will be offered as a hull only, but you never know...the copycats will be all over this hull.

Douggie

andym
09-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Great to see you can lower the class of any thread, rx is part of the radio system last time I thought about it. the Tx does not do much with out one.

andym
09-04-2010, 02:46 AM
And perhaps this will defeat the splashers as well

ron1950
09-04-2010, 07:07 AM
i beleave the bare hull is available

Hull only: Stiletto

$134.99 [PRB4001]

Flying Scotsman
09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Great to see you can lower the class of any thread, rx is part of the radio system last time I thought about it. the Tx does not do much with out one.

Damn it Andy, how many beverages did you consume yesterday my Aussie mate...LOOK AT THE SPECS.:hug1:

Douggie

ALD
09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
After running my new Stiletto, I have found that the throttle between 3/4 and full makes no change to speed. Using a spektum 3S. Does the Throttle Travel need to be at 0 and trim at B25 to get 100% throttle? I'm running with B100%. Batts are new 2s 5300 25c.

drwayne
09-04-2010, 11:59 PM
After running my new Stiletto, I have found that the throttle between 3/4 and full makes no change to speed. Using a spektum 3S. Does the Throttle Travel need to be at 0 and trim at B25 to get 100% throttle? I'm running with B100%. Batts are new 2s 5300 25c.

perhaps the manual details 'calibrating the throttle' ?

ALD
09-05-2010, 01:14 AM
DX3s manual of no help. Pro boat manual states program transmitter or ESC but no info. Ordered Programing card for boat but looking for info on the forum first.

Insaniac
09-05-2010, 01:22 AM
DX3s manual of no help. Pro boat manual states program transmitter or ESC but no info. Ordered Programing card for boat but looking for info on the forum first.

The throttle might need to be "calibrated" by:
holding the trigger at full throttle, plugging in the ESC, waiting for the beeps and then releasing the throttle.

ALD
09-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm sure thats the problem.

GP73
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
What sticker? :biggrin:

BTW, I took her to the pond last evening...

...I need a bigger pond now. :bounce:

Andy

ALD
09-06-2010, 08:07 PM
New Stilleto-I just love the looks of this boat/quality is excellent. Little programing is all it needs, I think!

I tried calibrating the transmitter. Same 3/4 throttle. I ordered a programing card. Feels like the boat was programed to the Logarithm mode described below? When set to Logarithm mode, the ESC
delivers 45% power at half throttle and
80% power at full throttle. The Logarithm
mode is suggested for first-time boaters.

Question? The hatch attaches with two dowels in the front. After a run when I remove the drain plug some water comes out (not alot but enough) is this normal ?

Can the Stilleto handle a grimracer 42x55 metal prop?

simo71
09-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I wonder if you adjust your EPA on your radio to 120% if that would help? If it is how you mentioned, I see that as an error on Proboat's behalf...Most people who have purchased this boat would have experience & proboat are making you purchase a module that would only be used once to change the one setting, the throttle curve.

ALD
09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Not sure what EPA is on a radio. I have a Dx3s surface radio. I'm thinking adjust the throttle travel to 120%. Correct ?

simo71
09-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Yes

Darin Jordan
09-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Question? The hatch attaches with two dowels in the front. After a run when I remove the drain plug some water comes out (not alot but enough) is this normal ?

Can the Stilleto handle a grimracer 42x55 metal prop?

I put some clear silicone in those holes on mine, then pressed it in with the dowls. I'm not sure if they are totally sealed or not from the factory. They should be, but ???

I also sealed around all of the water lines on mine, and around the wires. They pass through double-hull sections, so if any water gets past them, it can get down inside the hull.

Mine stays dry inside now.

drwayne
09-07-2010, 04:19 AM
EndPointAdjust = servo travel = same thing

Id ask Darin ( the designer of this boat ) if there are setup tips for the ESC.

Not sure what EPA is on a radio. I have a Dx3s surface radio. I'm thinking adjust the throttle travel to 120%. Correct ?

GP73
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh well, I knew this was going to happen... I chipped the gelcoat on the tip of the left sponson. :crying:

Don't ask me how since I have NO idea, I didn't see the missing gelcoat when I got her out of the car, so I must have hit something at home. :doh:

I'll try to get some supply at a local marine supply store. Any suggestions for a gelcoat repair kit? Should I use just gelcoat paste? Or epoxy? What about color matching? :help:

It's a small chip, about the size of a small bean.

Thanks.

Brushless55
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
man, I wish this would bind to a DX6i

Darin Jordan
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
man, I wish this would bind to a DX6i

It DOES!!

Compatible Aircraft Transmitters:
JR12X
JRX9303
Spektrum DX8
Spektrum DX7
Spektrum DX7se
Spektrum DX6i
Spektrum DX5e
Spektrum DSM2 Aircraft Module Systems

simo71
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Darin, can you confirm the preset throttle curve for the ESC?

Darin Jordan
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Darin, can you confirm the preset throttle curve for the ESC?

I've never heard of one being preset to the logarithm mode. In fact, I've never even used one in that mode. I can ask, but I'm certain it does NOT come pre-programmed in that mode. Should be linear.

I have noticed that the "steps" in the ESC are pretty large. Running at full throttle, then lightly backing off, results in a pretty decent drop in throttle. Typical RTR throttle curve.

ALD
09-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Darin, I ordered a programing card for my new Stiletto. What do you recomend for settings? Thanks for the silicone tip. My other question is about the ESC. Factory setting set for beginner mode. 80% full throttle?

ALD
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks, I'll try that

Brushless55
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
It DOES!!

Compatible Aircraft Transmitters:
JR12X
JRX9303
Spektrum DX8
Spektrum DX7
Spektrum DX7se
Spektrum DX6i
Spektrum DX5e
Spektrum DSM2 Aircraft Module Systems

yes! :banana:

Darin Jordan
09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
ALD... I really don't think that "beginner mode" is necessary for most people... in fact, on a tunnel, it may make it tough to balance the boat in the turns.

For the Stiletto, on the stock setup, I'd set the programming like this:

Battery Type: Lipo (assuming you are using Lipos)
Cutoff Voltage: LOW
Cutoff Type: Slow Down
Brake: OFF
Timing: LOW
Throttle Curve: LINEAR

Try that and get used to running the boat. If your temps are good and all is happy, then you can try the HIGH timing setting, which MIGHT (jury is still out with this boat) give you a little more zip...

GP73
09-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Here is the damage (if anyone cares).

I'm a very sad panda... :crying:

ron1950
09-08-2010, 10:42 AM
had first run on smooth water.....ran great but no 40 mph for sure..... still needs motor angle and hight adjusted to a better position.....darin can u take a pic of your motor hight mounting screws pls and the angle of the motor? that would really help me......funny thing happened to me as i flipped the boat powering it up across its own wake......current going out....its a swim or just wait for it situation....i pull the throttle and the prop is touching the water and i power it in(about 20yds upside down...now i know it didnt do the motor any good underwater but will oil the barrings etc and hopefully it will be fine as i ran it for 5 mins after that and ran fine.....

Brushless55
09-08-2010, 03:49 PM
will these take full speed turns?

Darin Jordan
09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
will these take full speed turns?

In stock trim, certainly... flies through the turns...

When you start proping up, and get it up to race speeds, you have to do a little more balancing in the turns. Basically, ease off a tad to set it into the turn, then squeeze it back to full throttle, easing off here and there if it starts "flying" in the turn (pushing to the outside).

That's just been my experience thus far, but mine is still not quite dialed in to a comfortable place for me to drive it. Also, that's a description of trying to drive a race-course, with 35' radius turns, holding lane one. If you turn a little wider, you can flat-out it. What can happen, however, is if you set it down too hard entering the turn, and try to add too much steering input too quickly, it can grab the outside sponson and tumble/roll to the outside.

Takes a little setup, timing and finisse to get it just right, which is part of the fun, and frustration, of driving tunnels... :thumbup: :cursing: :rockon2:

simo71
09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I think thats why people enjoy racing tunnels so much. Watch some footage of the F1's (1:1) & they have the same response if a driver is being over aggressive when entering a turn etc.

longballlumber
09-08-2010, 08:44 PM
In stock trim, certainly... flies through the turns...

When you start proping up, and get it up to race speeds, you have to do a little more balancing in the turns. Basically, ease off a tad to set it into the turn, then squeeze it back to full throttle, easing off here and there if it starts "flying" in the turn (pushing to the outside).

That's just been my experience thus far, but mine is still not quite dialed in to a comfortable place for me to drive it. Also, that's a description of trying to drive a race-course, with 35' radius turns, holding lane one. If you turn a little wider, you can flat-out it. What can happen, however, is if you set it down too hard entering the turn, and try to add too much steering input too quickly, it can grab the outside sponson and tumble/roll to the outside.

Takes a little setup, timing and finisse to get it just right, which is part of the fun, and frustration, of driving tunnels... :thumbup: :cursing: :rockon2:

Darin has giving a great answer about full speed turns with an O/B tunnel hull. This hull or any other O/B tunnel hull requires you to DRIVE the boat. This hull type isn't like most others where you can "throw" it in to a corner and expect it to sling shot around with out upsetting the hull. Racing these hulls WILL teach you how to manage your throttle thru the turns and teach you how to set up a boat. If your set up is a little off you will know it. However, once you hit that sweet spot.... man-o-man these tunnel hulls are a blast to drive and race...

Later,
Mike

Brushless55
09-09-2010, 12:30 AM
I think thats why people enjoy racing tunnels so much. Watch some footage of the F1's (1:1) & they have the same response if a driver is being over aggressive when entering a turn etc.

full size racing is killer :rockon2:
I love watching those in person

ALD
09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Ok folks. I have made several runs with the stiletto and found that this boat instock form can not due 40mph. Without a GPS I would guess at around 30mph. Being fairly new to boats and tunnels this speed is perfect to learn how to drive a tunnel. Anything faster at this point for me, would be frustrating. Spin outs in turns etc. I re-programed the ESC and calibrated my DX3s. This boat is so much fun to drive and learn at a relaxing speed. I'm sure in time, I will upgrade motor/esc/ prop for speed, but for now, great boat and lots of fun!!!!!!!!!! Test made using 4s 2pack 5300 25C lip"s.

GP73
09-10-2010, 11:44 PM
When I ran it last weekend I noticed mine was a little slow as well, but I thought I didn't set the motor angle properly. That was with an X440, I haven't tried the stock prop.

I just finished applying the first layer of gelcoat to mine, hopefully it will be ready for Sunday!

BTW, I've found other areas of the sponson where the gelcoat is slightly raised and if I gently press on it it flexes, I guess it didn't adhere completely to the fiberglass, I wouldn't be surprised if other cracks were to 'magically' appear on those spots.

Something to check on your Stilettos I guess.

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Tunnel boats are very hard to setup. I just received my Stiletto and looks very well built. I was not looking for the fastest boat on the planet, just a very cool looking F1 tunnel with what appears is a neat outboard power source and not some apendage that is but ugly.

Douggie

ALD
09-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Yes, it is a very cool looking boat. I trimmed mine according to the instructions. I tried trimming the motor up (away from transom) a little and that was a huge mistake. boat fliped and very unstable.Taking awhile to learn how to drive. I added a lot of expo and cut the travel down on steering and I find that setup to be very forgiving. I use 4s lipo 2pack so unable to adj cog. I think a4s lipo single pack would be a better fit for adjusment.

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2010, 01:52 AM
When I ran it last weekend I noticed mine was a little slow as well, but I thought I didn't set the motor angle properly. That was with an X440, I haven't tried the stock prop.

I just finished applying the first layer of gelcoat to mine, hopefully it will be ready for Sunday!

BTW, I've found other areas of the sponson where the gelcoat is slightly raised and if I gently press on it it flexes, I guess it didn't adhere completely to the fiberglass, I wouldn't be surprised if other cracks were to 'magically' appear on those spots.

Something to check on your Stilettos I guess.

Why are you applying gelcoat and how are you doing it?

Douggie

heli123
09-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Great looking boat can't get it to go more than 35mph on a single 45c 4s pack,may try 5s but don't want to burn anything out.There is no way to get over 40mph on this boat unless you change out the electronics.I have tried everything!

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2010, 12:13 PM
If it can keep up with a VS-1 with modified legs and apparently it does, it is fast. Speed, stability and handling are all relative

Douggie

Brushless55
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Great looking boat can't get it to go more than 35mph on a single 45c 4s pack,may try 5s but don't want to burn anything out.There is no way to get over 40mph on this boat unless you change out the electronics.I have tried everything!

any pics of your setup
sounds like your doing it wrong :confused1:

ron1950
09-11-2010, 12:49 PM
i think if mine had gelcoat blisters and chips comeing off id be on the phone to horizon right away for a new hull...it wont get better only worse with blisters....

Rumdog
09-11-2010, 05:20 PM

I doubt you've tried EVERYTHING. What props have you ran. You mention a x440. That is a small prop with minimal pitch.

GP73
09-11-2010, 06:34 PM
i think if mine had gelcoat blisters and chips comeing off id be on the phone to horizon right away for a new hull...it wont get better only worse with blisters....

There were some minor scratches around the area, I believe I did scratch it and that made the blister break and the gelcoat come out. The fiberglass under the chip looked nice and clean.

I've fixed it now and I'll be more careful, if any more gelcoat comes off without reason I'll contact them and see what they can do.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have noticed any "blisters" on theirs.

GP73
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I doubt you've tried EVERYTHING. What props have you ran. You mention a x440. That is a small prop with minimal pitch.

I was the one that mentioned the X440 and that's the only prop I've tried since that's what I had available, I haven't tried the stock prop and I have ordered a X437/3 but I'm not sure when that will be here.

What do you suggest? X642? Darin mentioned good results with the X440/3...

BTW, I'm ok with the current speed with the X440. I wanted to try the stock prop but it's not sharpened/balanced and I then I had to fix the gelcoat... :cursing:

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I suggest you look at the drivetrain and did you check it out prior to running it the first time.

Douggie

GP73
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Why are you applying gelcoat and how are you doing it?

Douggie

Check post #43 on this thread for the damage on my hull, I've re-uploaded the picture.

How am I doing it? With a lot of sandpaper... :biggrin:

So far: sand (220), clean, apply gelcoat, dry, re-sand (220), re-clean, re-apply.

Tomorrow: final sanding (220,400, wet 600), polishing.

BTW, I've just noticed in the picture: see how the gelcoat on the left side of the chip casts a shadow on the fiberglass? Looks like a pocket of air to me. :confused1:

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Check post #43 on this thread for the damage on my hull, I've re-uploaded the picture.

How am I doing it? With a lot of sandpaper... :biggrin:

So far: sand (220), clean, apply gelcoat, dry, re-sand (220), re-clean, re-apply.

Tomorrow: final sanding (220,400, wet 600), polishing.

BTW, I've just noticed in the picture: see how the gelcoat on the left side of the chip casts a shadow on the fiberglass? Looks like a pocket of air to me. :confused1:

Interesting repair and as previously mentioned what other props do you own. No defects on my hull, apart from my blueprinting.

Douggie

GP73
09-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I suggest you look at the drivetrain and did you check it out prior to running it the first time.

Douggie

First thing I did; to grease the flexshaft. No issues there, but still running with the teflon tubing.

Just to be clear, I don't know how fast it goes, I'm sure it would be much better with a X440/3, but I'm not the one complaining about the speed.

It's fast enough for me as it is. At least for now. :thumbup1:

I'm more concerned about the gelcoat coming off, it's a :cursing: of work to fix and I'd rather spend my time doing better things that getting intoxicated by MEKP (yes, I used proper protection :smile:).

GP73
09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Interesting repair and as previously mentioned what other props do you own. No defects on my hull, apart from my blueprinting.

Douggie

I have the stock prop and a X438, I've ordered a X437/3 a few weeks back, hoping it would be here in time for the Stiletto, but it's not ready yet.

ron1950
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
guess i was lucky mine was perfect...does have a few tiny chips in it now but that was all me lol

GP73
09-11-2010, 07:29 PM
guess i was lucky mine was perfect...does have a few tiny chips in it now but that was all me lol

Yeah, that might be just my luck, every time I buy a new foam plane I get some warped or scratched piece in the box... :biggrin:

But they are far easier to fix than gelcoat. :mad:

Flying Scotsman
09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I have the stock prop and a X438, I've ordered a X437/3 a few weeks back, hoping it would be here in time for the Stiletto, but it's not ready yet.

An X438 and a X437/3.....HMMMMMMM

Douggie

AndyKunz
09-11-2010, 07:46 PM

What prop are you running?

Can you take a side view photograph (close up is great) showing the height of the prop and the angle it's at?

What cells are you using? How new are they?

What part of NJ? I moved from Phillipsburg (I-78/US-22 @ Delaware River) about 2 years ago.

Andy

GP73
09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
An X438 and a X437/3.....HMMMMMMM

Douggie

That's very.... HMMMMMM :biggrin:

The X438 and X437/3 were supposed to go on the Surge Flusher, to keep the motor/esc a little cooler. But I guess I can try the X437/3 on the Stiletto before going to bigger props?

Darin Jordan
09-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Guys... First... this hull is NOT gel-coated... that's white paint. Very heavily laid on, white paint.

As for speeds... I did some bench testing of the motors this weekend and found some interesting info.

The testing was done with the following setup:

Battery: 4S1P ThunderPower 45C 5000mah pack
ESC: Castle Hydro 240
Timing: 0
Load: 6x3.5" Plastic/Carbon Airplane Prop.

Under this test setup, the motor actually registers 1885KV, and a little over 31,000 RPM unloaded. With the load (airplane prop), the motor dropped to 1703KV, just shy of 27,000RPM, pulled 35.55Amps, and the output was 562 Watts.

For comparison, the Geico motor registers 1460KV and 24,100RPM unloaded, and 1399KV, 22,500RPM, 18.84Amps, and 304Watts with the SAME load.

What this tells us is that the price for the additional KV is torque, so you will NOT be able to turn the same large props. It's more like the UL-1 motor, where it climbs in WATTS quickly as you add load, so you need to turn a smaller prop, with less pitch.

This actually puts the Stiletto setup more inline with the Nitro equivalent, so working with props more similiar in size to what they would use is in order. I tried an X440/3, pitched up slightly, and backcut about .030"... slightly cupped as well. Motor temps were very reasonable (around 108), so it can handle more, but I will increment it up slowly, because my race props for my BJ motor get the motor temps up to dangerous levels and overheat the wire leads. Speeds really aren't appreciably faster either. Just adding load to the motor.

SO, play around with some of the smaller props and see what you come up with. I'm thinking something in the 40-42mm range will be a good place to start, though the 37mm 3-blades might be workable as well.

As for setup. Set the stub shaft centerline about 1/8"-3/16" above the sponson bottoms, neutral or just SLIGHTLY up angle (aft higher than front to lift the nose), and start from there. I prefer it to be dead neutral to start, so as not to have the prop height change as the unit steers. Mine seems to work best with the 4400mah or 5000 mah pack, mounted all the way forward, and I also added 1oz of lead to the nose. That's the setup in the video posted in my Race Prep thread, and the boat is certainly breaking 40mph there (I'm estimating more like 45 or so)

SLOW the steering down, lower the throw as well. You don't need much to get this to turn. Then learn to balance the throttle.

Hopefully this gives you a good place to start from. Let me know how it goes.

Brushless55
09-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Thank you for the update Darin!
and I just relized I have a DX2.0 radio for my Losi-8T that should work with this boat :hug1:
and Darin, will two of these in series fit just fine? I have 6 of them
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11614

Darin Jordan
09-12-2010, 01:41 AM

I don't see why not... there is a TON of room for cells in this boat. Should be pretty easy to fit dual motors in there as well... There should be a good supply of right-hand turn flex shafts out there! :doh:

Brushless55
09-12-2010, 02:23 AM
I don't see why not... there is a TON of room for cells in this boat. Should be pretty easy to fit dual motors in there as well... There should be a good supply of right-hand turn flex shafts out there! :doh:

Are we talking about the Stiletto? :spy:

Darin Jordan
09-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Are we talking about the Stiletto? :spy:

HAHAHAHAHAHa... Ooops... wrong thread! Got confused with the MG!

ON the Stiletto, YES, there is still should be room for a pair of 5000's like that. If they aren't too long, you can lay them end-to-end in the bottom. You may find the weight works out better if you stack them toward the front, however.

Sorry... it was late when I posted that previously.

heli123
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Well ok I did not try everything I think my esc might be limited not getting full throttle,I need to figure out if I'm getting full throttle.Need to look more into the esc setup.I like running at 35 anyway anymore your looking for a flip.Also at 35 mph lake was a little rough,been windy lately here in NJ.I will wait for flat water and run it again,so again I take that comment back that I Quote Tried everything!

GP73
09-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Guys... First... this hull is NOT gel-coated... that's white paint. Very heavily laid on, white paint.

NOW you tell me! :mad:

:just-kidding: :biggrin:

Oh well, whatever works to fix that hole. Could you find out which kind of paint we should use for repairs?

GP73
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the update Darin!
and I just relized I have a DX2.0 radio for my Losi-8T that should work with this boat :hug1:

I have these and they work just fine: http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10277 (Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lipo Pack)

You can put the horizontal or vertical, either way they fit.

GP73
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHa... Ooops... wrong thread! Got confused with the MG!

ON the Stiletto, YES, there is still should be room for a pair of 5000's like that. If they aren't too long, you can lay them end-to-end in the bottom. You may find the weight works out better if you stack them toward the front, however.

Sorry... it was late when I posted that previously.

:iagree:

They work much better in the front, the boat is way more stable while cornering (using the start setup that you mentioned few posts earlier).

ron1950
09-12-2010, 02:21 PM
darin are u saying to put both 2 cells side by side in the front of the battery compartment? interesting lol

ALD
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I was having the same issue w/ESC. I bought a programing card and re-programed to Darins specs. NO change ,same speed. I adjusted boat to Darin specs. No change. Used a 40mm 3 blade carbon prop ,no change in speed. No GPS but I would guess 30ish for speed with or without stock prop.

Brushless55
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
:iagree:

They work much better in the front, the boat is way more stable while cornering (using the start setup that you mentioned few posts earlier).

That's whay he is the man! :banana:

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 08:38 AM
I was having the same issue w/ESC. I bought a programing card and re-programed to Darins specs. NO change ,same speed. I adjusted boat to Darin specs. No change. Used a 40mm 3 blade carbon prop ,no change in speed. No GPS but I would guess 30ish for speed with or without stock prop.

What cells are you using? How many cycles on them?

Andy

ron1950
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
hey andy mine is very slow also with new 5000/40c lipos with 2 cycles on them....going to stack em in front of battery as darin suggests and see what happens...also putting a x440 3 blade on it this moring to see whats up there.....but havent gone to liner throtle till i get it set up better ....i was amazed that this motor will run underwater lol

also i have a friend with dx3.0..older model no sticker with a boat on it....he says it will be fine with his mr3000 rx (or whatever the number is with the boat) what can he expect? no bind or no range or what? thanks

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 10:11 AM
The MR3000 won't work unless the Tx has a boat on it (airplane tx's work with Marine too).

The nice part about running BL motors underwater is that it doesn't kill your brushes :)

Andy

Darin Jordan
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
You guys... if you are programming the ESC to "Logarithm" mode, you are only getting about 80% Throttle... Set it to linear....

heli123
09-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Well guys just snapped my greased flex shaft,under warranty no big deal but should not happen had to swim for the boat today

Rumdog
09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Why is the end square?

Rumdog
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
OOPs. Sorry. I thought I was looking at the Geico thread.

heli123
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Funny on phone with horizon guy is saying the stilleto warranty is good from the day of purchase only Can that be.That would be some warranty if that is true!!

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Well guys just snapped my greased flex shaft,under warranty no big deal but should not happen had to swim for the boat today

Well, you are a real twit if you swam to recover your boat.

Douggie

heli123
09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Yea well in my lake thats what people do they swim,why don't you come over You can swim as a guest,is there any danger swimming for a boat with a broken flexshaft TWIT!!

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, drowning. Been there, tried it at the 2000 NAMBA Nationals in Sussex County.

Don't be as stupid as I was.

What part of NJ?

Andy

heli123
09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I have been swimming for 35 years and I'm still alive.. Wayne NJ Pines lake private lake about 1 mile long

Darin Jordan
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
but should not happen

There is no magic bullet that keeps flexshafts from breaking. I've yet to break one in three years of running OPC, but it can happen and does.

USUALLY, it's a case of it being installed incorrectly, OR from the prop being shocked numerous times by hopping the boat a lot.

To check to make sure the first isn't an issue, the flex shaft should float between the coupler and the stub-shaft slightly and should NOT be tight end-to-end between those two. In other words, when it's installed correctly, you should be able to push the stub shaft in and out slightly.

If you follow my race prep thread, you'll see a picture of the inside of the lower unit, explainging a method to make sure for proper fit. There are production tolerances that sometimes come together to make this not happen from the factory. Doesn't hurt to be informed and take a few minutes to make sure everything is setup correctly.

As for the hopping... People seem to be having some fun running these in 4" chop... more power too you, but an OPC is designed to run in fairly smooth conditions. They are NOT rough-water boats, so do this at your own discression...

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 03:37 PM
I have been swimming for 35 years and I'm still alive.. Wayne NJ Pines lake private lake about 1 mile long

Same for me when I tried it. I was used to swimming across lakes twice as wide when I jumped in. Kind of upset my kid watching them haul me to the ER.

I moved from Phillipsburg (grew up there) about 2 years ago to work for Spektrum.

Andy

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM

To put this in perspective, you did not know you had a broken flexshaft and swimming to a disabled boat is not advised, for numerous reasons.

Douggie

heli123
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Well lets see I can hear my motor spinning about 50 feet of shore,Lost prop maybe??Something is wrong with the boat all I know is that it's not moving.
To all who ever swam for there boat sorry if you get into trouble,but some people swim better than others!

ron1950
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
i know swimming is not recomended first rule and all....that why i carry my ski-vest for emergencys...i leaned long ago in navy bootcamp that the majority of people in this country are not good swimmers....growing up in south fla we swam daily ...pool or beach etc....seems eveyone on on this site is an expert at everything written.....if i have to swim i will but with life vest thats in my truck bed ....take it easy on this guy its just a web site....

AndyKunz
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
To all who ever swam for there boat sorry if you get into trouble,but some people swim better than others!

You sure sound like me 10 years ago!! I hope you never make it into the newspapers!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=186408&postcount=9

Andy

ron1950
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
andy...wear a life vest lol

heli123
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Yea wear a life vest,all I need now is a drink and a new flexshaft!!

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2010, 04:16 PM
You two twits are idiots...piss off

Douggie

heli123
09-13-2010, 04:26 PM
O douggie No we are not twits So much hostility Relax man everything will be ok Got a new flexshaft I can have!!

Darin Jordan
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
... and a new flexshaft!!

You should be able to use any standard length K&B 3.5 style shaft. The ones from the Bullet Drive, that Steven sells here on OSE, should work as well. You MIGHT have to fit them, however, which may involve trimming a tad off of each end, but otherwise, they will work. Might be a better quality cable as well.

ALD
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
=AndyKunz;228621]What cells are you using? 4s 2pack 5000 40c thunder power pack-stacked in front. Boat handles great. NO top end speed, programed esc to linear setting. How many cycles on them? 5 cycles. I have tried everything I know to the Radio settings and bought a program card and between 3/4 and full throttle nothing. Just tops out at 3/4 throttle. All settings set to Darin's suggestions and it has inproved the handlling of the boat. I also tried a 40mm prop 3blade. Performance same as stock prop. I believe that the ESC is not giving me 100% throttle or the stock flex-shaft is causing to much drag or thats all this boat will go. One thing for sure is the esc in linear setting is 0% thru 75%. Battery and or different props or settings has no effect on the throttle. Anyone change out stock ESC ?

Andy[/QUOTE]

heli123
09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Same problem here I may try a cheap 80 amp from hobbyking to see if I get more power,but have not tried running 5s yet.

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
The kids in the hall :banana:

Douggie

ron1950
09-13-2010, 06:37 PM
ya i am a twit and your from canada...id say we are even

Rumdog
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Why are you guys changin ANY settings besides the lvc? Also don't swim for your boat. There, I said it. Saying it's ok will make you feel like sh$T when one of your buddies or forum members ends up at the bottom of the pond. If you do swim for it, I don't want to hear about it either.

ALD
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Why are you guys changin ANY settings besides the lvc? lTrying to get a linear 0 thru 100% throttle response. I use a rescue boat. Also don't swim for your boat. There, I said it. Saying it's ok will make you feel like sh$T when one of your buddies or forum members ends up at the bottom of the pond. If you do swim for it, I don't want to hear about it either.[/QUOTE]

simo71
09-13-2010, 06:51 PM
So with the program card, do you change the ESC's setting one step at a time or do you just change the switches to the setting's you want & power up the ESC?

ron1950
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
i beleave its just switches set to what u want....other esc's will need throtle stettings etc programed in

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
I give up, and do not listen to any of this crap from the new boy wonders

Douggie

heli123
09-13-2010, 07:28 PM
O Douggie don't give up we need you here,I'm going swimming tomorrow with my submarine

Flying Scotsman
09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Did you buy your boats from G- Freak.

Douggie

ALD
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
So with the program card, do you change the ESC's setting one step at a time or do you just change the switches to the setting's you want & power up the ESC. Yes, you just change the setting and power up. For my boat it had no effect. So I'm thinking that the esc from factory is the same as Darin"s esc setup. You may not want to spend the money for the card unless for future use.

Steven Vaccaro
09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
You two twits are idiots...piss off

Douggie

Ok, Doug. Enough name calling. I know its you humour, but people don't understand it and take offense. Next time, its a time out for you.

Flying Scotsman
09-14-2010, 03:09 AM
I stand by my comments on this thread and if those comments cause a time out, so be it.

Douggie

simo71
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I would be pulling down the Outboard prior to running just to ensure that everything is free from binding etc. while being a new boat it still requires pre run maintenence apart from just pulling the flex & adding grease.

ron1950
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
when i did all that to mine it had some greese in it all ready but can always use more not much to the outboard for a few screews lol and a motor

GP73
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I would be pulling down the Outboard prior to running just to ensure that everything is free from binding etc. while being a new boat it still requires pre run maintenence apart from just pulling the flex & adding grease.

What about the spring-like effect when turning the prop? Would that be consider binding or it's normal?

Rumdog
09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Thats the motors magnets you're feeling. It is normal.

ALD
09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I BELIEVE THAT TO BE MOTOR COGING normal. You should setup boat to Darin's latest spec. If your going to use 2s 2pack place in front boat runs better. I have made 10 runs with my boat w/o issues.

ALD
09-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Rumdog, what kinda speed are getting with your Stilleto?

simo71
09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
For those of you who are finding you not getting 100% throttle, try increasing the throttle travel to 150% I have done this with the motor pulled from the leg & peak revs have increased, this was my personal finding.

This is with the Dx3s & does not mean it will work with other transmitters.

ALD
09-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks, Simo71, thats the info I have been waiting for. I increased my radio dx3s trottle travel to 125 with no effect.I thought the ESC was an issue. I'll try the 150 setting. Thanks again!!!!!!

Flying Scotsman
09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Lads, are you running full throtle on the bench for more than 4 seconds, if so, the motor may be toast and always check your drivetrain prior to any power input on a new setup or RTR boat

Douggie

simo71
09-14-2010, 11:17 PM
ALD, let us know how you get on, mine is yet to hit the water so will be interested to see if in-fact it does make a difference under load.

ALD
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I will let you know tomorrow night, after I make some runs with the new setting.

ron1950
09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
we need more videos....come darin get that cam out

ALD
09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Made a test run today using a 150% throttle travel setting on my DX3s. Noticable differencea. Now feels like I'm getting all the power this boat can give. More linear on the trigger from 0 to 100%. Increased speed with new setting. I would say w/o gps maybe 35mph. Very fast for this boat and easy to conrtol. Great looking boat, runs really great. I'm going to try the stock prop that I have sharpened and balanced next. You will be hard pressed to get 40mph in stock form.

Darin Jordan
09-16-2010, 04:46 PM
You will be hard pressed to get 40mph in stock form.

If you are talking about the stock prop, then certainly... it wasn't designed to go much faster with that prop...

Put an X440/3 or Grim 42x55 on there, perhaps with a little pitch added, and then hang on!

ALD
09-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks Darin, I will try the 42 X 55 grim sharp/balanced. I have been holding back on using that prop, for fear of overheating electronics.

Yes, I was referring to stock prop. Sorry. Thanks for desiging such a great boat, I just love the Stilitto looks. Your info on setup for this boat has been right on the money. Saves everyone so much time trying to find the sweet spot. Keep the info coming!

ALD
09-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Ran Stiletto with the 42 X 55 grim sharp/balanced today. OMG! super fast - I would guess around 40mph w/o gps. This boat rocks. Thanks again Darin for the info.

Brushless55
09-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I wana see more vids! :banana:

GP73
09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
If you are talking about the stock prop, then certainly... it wasn't designed to go much faster with that prop...

Put an X440/3 or Grim 42x55 on there, perhaps with a little pitch added, and then hang on!

Interesting, I got a Grim 40x52/3 yesterday at the LHS, can't wait to try that one on... :biggrin:

ron1950
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
used a 440/3 and noticabley faster but wires got warm and one even unsoldered itself but they were the ones i did so could be anything lol......really couldnt tell the temp as waited 30 min for boat to come drifting back to shore...even had to wade to get it finally....batteries were slighly warm to the touch but did run 5 min or so....the batteries were stacked on top of each other in front of bat compartment wire that was touching the plastic top peace did form slight indention lol......oh well back to drawing board or the soldering iron.....

GP73
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
used a 440/3 and noticabley faster but wires got warm and one even unsoldered itself but they were the ones i did so could be anything lol......really couldnt tell the temp as waited 30 min for boat to come drifting back to shore...even had to wade to get it finally....batteries were slighly warm to the touch but did run 5 min or so....the batteries were stacked on top of each other in front of bat compartment wire that was touching the plastic top peace did form slight indention lol......oh well back to drawing board or the soldering iron.....

Battery or motor side?

Never mind, I've re-read your message... :)

What connectors are you using?

Darin Jordan
09-17-2010, 11:35 AM

When I'm recommending props like this, I'm recommending them for RACING applications. As such, you sport boaters need to keep in mind that a race only runs for about a 1 1/2 minutes or so, and mostly at full throttle (even in the turns). Sport running with these setups will likely cause the boat to get warmer.

Also, my 440/3 is back-cut about .030" and detounged slightly, so it doesn't have the blade area, lift, or blade loading that a stock one would.

Keep an eye on things when trying these setups and build up to them...

ron1950
09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
deans but thinking of going to plugs

ron1950
09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
one and a half minetes....heck i am going back to gas

Darin Jordan
09-17-2010, 11:52 AM
one and a half minetes....heck i am going back to gas

Hahahaha... Yah... FE isn't for everyone, that's for sure.

You can run longer... just have to prop down for this setup.

GP73
09-17-2010, 11:53 AM

With the X440 (2 blades) I can go to LVC and the wires get to ~120F at the end, heatsink on the ESC is ~100F and caps are about ~130F.

This is with 2x 2S 5300mah Turnigy hardcase (these are really 2S2P 2650mah) mounted vertically in front, side to side.

I'm using 5.5mm bullets on the batt side, I still need to change the motor side.

I should make a hole on the motor cowl to check the temp, but I don't want to ruin the look... :unsure:

Darin Jordan
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

You'll have a lot less resistance going to 5.5's instead of those Deans... In fact, I usually cut off the Y-harness, and just use the red and black wire, then series together the batteries themselves. Any resistance you can eliminate will mean more runtime and less heat.

On the motor wires, if they are getting warm, you might want to open up the front of the motor cover some to allow more air to circulate around the motor. I did this on mine and it helped a lot.

ron1950
09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
know what ya mean on the look if i wanted to run a ugly looking pos id run nitro....hey darin what is it in fe racing...first one to 3 laps wins?......so what about a x642/2 will that brin temps down?

ron1950
09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
i have a large round hole in the front of the motor cover as i put the water outlet from a bj26 in the back of the motor case like u did....usually i just flip the boat and cool the motor that way...oh ya the voltage on each cell was 3.85 or so so couldnt ahve run that long....

ron1950
09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok up for suggestions on a prop. I have a 642. Hope that will run cooler. Anyone?

Darin Jordan
09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Try the 642. It should be a little better on temps.

ron1950
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I'll give it a try as soon as chuck sends it back. Do have one new in package. Should I use it raw or just wait for balanced etc one?

Darin Jordan
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I'll give it a try as soon as chuck sends it back. Do have one new in package. Should I use it raw or just wait for balanced etc one?

I would never use a raw prop... especially an Octura. Wait for a sharpened/balanced one.

In the meantime, a Grim/ABC 42x55 is also a good prop. You can bend some more pitch into it slowly as you build up to speed...

ron1950
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Knowing nothing about working over a prop I take it a grim needs work also before use

Darin Jordan
09-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Knowing nothing about working over a prop I take it a grim needs work also before use

The Grim props can generally be used for general use right out of the box. They still should be sharpened and balanced, but can be run as they come.

GP73
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Beryllium Copper is nasty stuff... :eek:

If you're going to work on props just make absolutely sure you're protected, this means goggles, respirator (not just a simple mask), gloves, long sleeves shirts

And make sure you clean the area and wash your clothes right after you're done.

The guide here on OSE is the best I could find: :bowdown:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/sharpenandbalance.php

PS: But I should add: the warning at the bottom of the guide should really be at the beginning, including suggestions on how to protect yourself.

ALD
09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I made two runs yesterday with the 42 X 55 prop. I should have given more detail. I have 5.5mm bullets on everything. I ran the boat for 4min each time. 4s 2p 5000mah 40c thunderpower lipo's. Full throttle except I slowed way down in the corners (chicken effect). My heat index for electronics was high, ESC 142 batts 128.My connectors were 172 deg but hold up fine at that temp. I also live in Arizona and it was 106 degrees that day. No temp on motor. I thinking of running without the motor cover for a run and see what the temps are with 42 x 55 prop.

ron1950
09-17-2010, 08:24 PM
keep us advised on that temp with a 42x55 as i ordered one today lol...

Diesel6401
09-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I made two runs yesterday with the 42 X 55 prop. I should have given more detail. I have 5.5mm bullets on everything. I ran the boat for 4min each time. 4s 2p 5000mah 40c thunderpower lipo's. Full throttle except I slowed way down in the corners (chicken effect). My heat index for electronics was high, ESC 142 batts 128.My connectors were 172 deg but hold up fine at that temp. I also live in Arizona and it was 106 degrees that day. No temp on motor. I thinking of running without the motor cover for a run and see what the temps are with 42 x 55 prop.

Seems like your running a nice set-up good choice on the batts and run time and good job with the 5.5's. Due to the heat outside maybe cut the runtime down by a minute on such a hot day and disconnect the bec and run a rx pack my help. Are you running 1 lipo or 2 paralell?

ALD
09-18-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm running 2s 2pack in series. Stacked toward the front.

ALD
09-18-2010, 12:39 AM
If your going to run 42 x 55. I would advise cutting holes in engine cover and 5.5 connectors everywhere. When you use your throttle start real slow.
The boat is a rocket. I cut the steering travel to 90% and used 20% expo. Have not tried turning at high speed yet. I also tested boat with stock sharpend/balance prop and ran much better and little quicker. Easy to learn on. The big prop is scary fast but down the straights tracks true.

Steven Vaccaro
09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Beryllium Copper is nasty stuff... :eek:

If you're going to work on props just make absolutely sure you're protected, this means goggles, respirator (not just a simple mask), gloves, long sleeves shirts

And make sure you clean the area and wash your clothes right after you're done.

The guide here on OSE is the best I could find: :bowdown:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/sharpenandbalance.php

PS: But I should add: the warning at the bottom of the guide should really be at the beginning, including suggestions on how to protect yourself.

I've taken your suggestions and added them. Thanks. Here is how it reads now.

Warning- Potential Cancer hazard!
Take caution when working with Beryllium Cooper! Activities such as grinding, sanding, polishing or any activity which abrades the surface will cause airborne dust particles. These Beryllium Cooper particles are highly toxic! There are dangers involved with inhaling dust or fumes. It can cause serious, chronic lung disease in some individuals. Over time lung disease can be fatal!

If you're going to work on these propellers make absolutely sure you're protected, this means proper eyewear, a high quality respirator (not just a simple cloth mask), gloves, long sleeves shirts. Immediately after your work is completed, proper cleaning of the your work area is also suggested.

Diegoboy
09-18-2010, 09:55 AM
:scared: I have to get my props back from Egneg. I don't want him to DIE!

ron1950
09-18-2010, 11:43 AM
ya he must be busy cause he has one of mine also....

GP73
09-19-2010, 03:32 AM
:scared: I have to get my props back from Egneg. I don't want him to DIE!

Well, he prepared 2 props for me too, I didn't ask, but I assumed (and surely I hope) he uses proper protection when working on them.

I would feel horrible if anything were to happen to anyone just for my hobby! :eek:

GP73
09-19-2010, 03:35 AM
I've taken your suggestions and added them. Thanks. Here is how it reads now.

:thumbup1: :biggrin:

ron1950
09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
just got back from lake......set linear and high lipo cut off in with stock prop......probably ran as fast as it did the other day with the 440/3 prop (got very hot with 440) no heat issues at all wires were barly warm to touch same with esc baily warm with 5 min of running never hit lipo cut off..all and all it was a good time..wish there were more of em to run with here.....cant wait to try new 642 prop ( when it gets here) hopefully no heat with it also and alot more speed.... what ya think darin? will it get hot with the 642 or just warm?

heli123
09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm running the x440/3 prop and having good results my deans get a little warm but no problems,all I did was buy the prop and put it on with no modification.I run 2 5000 2s packs stacked in the front for best results,boat is still a little slow but hey it is stock got 41mph!

ron1950
09-19-2010, 03:57 PM
how long are u running it for? my wires were touching the plastic battery cover and formed there intdentions in there they were so warm...one deans plug on battery side came unsoldered i have to think it was warm and a bad joint. couldnt get temps as it was stuck out in lake for 20 min or so befored i waded out for it

heli123
09-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Just make sure you stop to let everything cool once in a while,I don't run it full all the time.My run time is about 10 minutes total

ron1950
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
i have two sets of batteries the one that got hot has about the same gage wire as the esc..the ones i ran today had much larger gage wires maybe that helped......ill run the 440 again with this set and see...i know the 440 ran much faster then stock prop...waiting on my 642 prop from chuck to give it a try....it works wonders with the mg they say..

GP73
09-20-2010, 12:41 AM
I've got a couple of short clips running a Grim Racer 40x52/3 prop, I'm glad I managed to take them before the flex shaft broke. :huh:

I'll see if I can post them tomorrow.

GP73
09-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Since I'm still waiting for the last packs to finish charging I thought I would post one of the clip on YouTube. :biggrin:

ro6cgqf8MT8

BTW, the size of that pond is about 100m in that direction, by my calculations I'm leaving about 10m or so at each end and covering the rest in about 4secs.

So we have ~80m in 4 sec = 20 m/s = ~45 mph give or take.

Can't wait to see what the x437/3 de-tongued does. :bounce:

Flying Scotsman
09-20-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm running the x440/3 prop and having good results my deans get a little warm but no problems,all I did was buy the prop and put it on with no modification.I run 2 5000 2s packs stacked in the front for best results,boat is still a little slow but hey it is stock got 41mph!

Laddie, that is a big mistake, Octura props must be ballanced and sharpened as documented by Darin. Also 3 bladed props are a bear to ballance
Douggie

Joern Markset
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone having a vid of a Stiletto running turns?