PDA

View Full Version : Brushed ESC's

Eodman
11-01-2007, 10:04 AM
A little help please!

I'm trying to understand ESC ratings, Which number in the Spec sheet is the important one when it comes to Amps?

Is the continous rating, or max rating?

On my last build I elected to go with the new Traxxas Marine EVX2 --- very easy to wire because it was designed for dual motor applications and so far it's doing the job. Further it is rated for anything up to 12 turn motors and since the stock motors are 27 turn motors it would appear that I have a lot of room to upgrade!

It is Traxxas part# 3020 & is rated at 30 amps continous and 180 amps max which one is the important rating one?

According to traxxas they say its good for 12t motors using high current connectors and they picture their new connectors that they introduced is Deans ultra plugs as good or better that connector?

Fluid
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Cars have a much lower amp draw when at a steady speed than boats do. This means that an ESC that may be okay in a car will run hot in a boat. Plus, car controllers have historically been over-rated for amp draw. A controller with a 30 amp continuous rating is marginal for a stock 27-turn motor, and may not last long in a boat if you are interested in pushing the speed envelope. How are the motors wired?

So the answer to your question is - use the "continuous" amp rating. Deans connectors are plenty for most brushed 05 motor applications.

NorthernBoater
11-02-2007, 12:36 AM
30 amps is an extremely low amp draw for a boat. Most sport setups will draw between 45-90 amps.